What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

We've reached the twenty-third page of this thread, and there's still not a decent reason why Manx Radio TT365 shouldn't exist. It costs pennies, it uses a waveband that serves no other purpose, the recordings are all there.

Carbon selector accuses me of being "a bit thick"... yeah, whatever, fine... how else would you like to have seen the TT station rolled out other than numerous mentions on the normal station over TT? Where else would the listeners have come from? Should the station have spent thousands promoting it?

I know all this positivity about something new doesn't fit with the MF paradigm...

how else would you like to have seen the TT station rolled out other than numerous mentions on the normal station over TT? Where else would the listeners have come from? Should the station have spent thousands promoting it?

I would like to know who was involved with Radio TT365 from the outset. Although I don't want to draw too close an analogy wiith gambling, I bet they are the sort of person that when they get dealt a straight flush in poker, they turn their hand over straight away and bask in their luck.

TT365 is ok, but it could have been - still could be - infinitely better. I'm more than happy to discuss my thoughts on it and I ask again, who was responsible for rolling it out?

I have a very elderly relative whose hobby, for many years, was recording jazz performances in pubs, clubs, etc all over the North of England. He was very professional at it and now has several thousand recording which he's transferred onto CDs.

He's been wondering what to do with them all because, as I said, he's very old now.

So, do you think I should get in touch with MR about them and suggest a station called 'Jazz365' or something. It would only cost 'pennies' to set up and there are, after all, millions of jazz fans all over the world who'd be thrilled to have such a station!

Edited by Endovelicus

I have a very elderly relative whose hobby, for many years, was recording jazz performances in pubs, clubs, etc all over the North of England. He was very professional at it and now has several thousand recording which he's transferred onto CDs.

He's been wondering what to do with them all because, as I said, he's very old now.

So, do you think I should get in touch with MR about them and suggest a station called 'Jazz365' or something. It would only cost 'pennies' to set up and there are, after all, millions of jazz fans all over the world who'd be thrilled to have such a station!

No, because your elderly relative doesn't own the copyright to the music he recorded or the permission of the performers. But there's nothing to stop you setting up Jazz365 - I probably even know some lovely people who would give you free advice!

Anyway, jazz music is the soundtrack of Beelzebub and his hordes of demons at work, and musicians who do knowing grins to each other. Not nice at all...

Endevelous - your relative might consider uploading to a site like dimeadozen that shares live recordings. Not strictly legal, mind, but there seems to be less heat around fans sharing recordings that aren't commercially available. If he doesn't fancy that maybe one of the Jazz contributors on there will point him to an appropriate body.

Stu seems to be confusing jazz with British & Manx approximations of blues.

As I said - a thought provoking post.

All those millions upon millions of illegal youtube clips. Maybe a good case for publish and be damned, in one form or another.

Incidentally Stu, there are many people who believe that motorcycle time trials on the Isle of Man are the work of the devil and his hordes of demons.

Edited by carbon selector

Ah, the sweet smell of entitlement that oozes from each post Stu Peters makes on anything to do with Manx Radio. Well, how about this idea for a new radio station, under the charitable MR umbrella? The Manx Competitive Music, Speech and Dance Festival365. Or if that doesn't quite trip of the bloated tongue, Guild365? A much more justifiable local public service argument. A presumably huge archive of material, much of it never having been broadcast before. No adverts to edit out by people who haven't got a clue how to carry out the most basic functions of digital audio editors. Fuck me, is there actually a downside? Apart from not making any money of course. But it would only cost pennies to set up.

• Like 1

We've reached the twenty-third page of this thread, and there's still not a decent reason why Manx Radio TT365 shouldn't exist. It costs pennies, it uses a waveband that serves no other purpose, the recordings are all there.

It costs pennies at a time when they claim not to have had any pennies, and with no apparent plan to raise the pennies to pay for it. As it stands, we have no evidence it has made any money at all nor any idea how many people have listened - and that's 4 months in and after the Pre-TT Classic, TT, Post TT Road Races, Southern 100, Ulster Grand Prix and Manx Grand Prix.

You could achieve more by having a dedicated 'TT Memories' programme once a week, or once a day, playing a classic race, either across FM and AM, or just on AM. Then, as a simple concept, get it sponsored for a decent return (TT Memories, brought to you by Yamaha). As you aren't asking people to advertise in the programme, there's no problem with re-running old ads for free.

In addition, you wouldn't need to pay to record stupid music programmes to fill dead air time on 365, you wouldn't have to emply a dedicated 'TT reporter' to fill one hour of live broadcasting a week, you wouldn't have to pay to launch and maintain a dedicated website and you wouldn't have to pay for promotional material ahead of the launch.

It would also be available on 'listen again' for the bike fan's convenience.

If it proves popular, with listener figures being high and sponsors lining up, then you could look at expanding the operation. Rather than going for the Rolls Royce option first, then having to close it down.

In addition, MR could offer race recordings as downloads or on CD, at minimal outlay, and have another easy revenue stream.

I have never worked in broadcasting, but this seems like a cost-effective, balanced and rational way of utilising a valuable resource when money is tight, rather than the ill-planned mess we have.

Can't knock any of that. Why didn't Manx Radio consider asking their audience and potential audience? Smacks of arrogance to me. And there are no comments back from Stu yet, who I thought fancied himself as a bit of a business and marketing man. Even PL has made a serious and worthwhile contribution (jeez, I nearly registered a 'like' against a PL post)

"Hey guys look, I just got dealt a straight flush". I'm beginning to like that analogy.

Edited by Theodolite

Re downloads of race recordings, you'd need to pay someone to edit out any music in adverts etc. Due to copyright restricts. That would either up the price, or increase the number you have to sell.

This TT 365 thing is it just random races and commentaries? Do people listen to them before they go out? Or are they all appropriate for rebroadcast?

Re downloads of race recordings, you'd need to pay someone to edit out any music in adverts etc. Due to copyright restricts. That would either up the price, or increase the number you have to sell.

This TT 365 thing is it just random races and commentaries? Do people listen to them before they go out? Or are they all appropriate for rebroadcast?

Why do you need to edit out music in adverts for download, but not for online streaming?