What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

• 2 weeks later...

Well! How odd.... ; )) I happened to be round previously mentioned acquaintance's house again tonight, and we tuned in to the evening's bike race repeat off of the archives and that, in order for me to share my incredulity at the supposedly free advertising being thrust upon the grateful world. It was the 2011 senior I think, but I wouldn't bet a house on it. And guess what? No adverts! How queer! Where they might have been expected now existed TT365 jingles. An accidental anomaly? Or has someone worked out how to use the audio editor and decided that it might be conducive to profitable business practice to use it? My curiosity is, uuh, curious... ; ))

• Like 1

As I said - a thought provoking post.

All those millions upon millions of illegal youtube clips. Maybe a good case for publish and be damned, in one form or another.

Incidentally Stu, there are many people who believe that motorcycle time trials on the Isle of Man are the work of the devil and his hordes of demons.

Which is quite a strange opinion really when you consider that most of them have willingly moved to what they presumably consider to be hell on earth.

• 4 months later...

I doubt if closure is a surprise to many of us on MF. Like many projects launched with high hopes, the ordinary 'man in the street', if asked, would have said, "Waste of money", right from the start. But it's never the ordinary guy who gets asked, just his money that gets wasted.

• Like 2

If only someone could have seen this coming...maybe the money invested could have been saved.

Fortunately, of course, the people behind this gamble don't lose their own money, just ours, and they'll be back with another doomed to failure, uncosted scheme with no business plan in a few weeks.

This is an essential problem with Manx Radio. Those in charge feel they can take risks in pursuit of profit, without having to put together any sort of business case, as one would have to in the private sector, and do so without the fear of it failing, because it is only money, and there's plenty more.

I am not against people trying new projects, but it needs to be done on the same basis as a private company would approach any potential risk. A clear business case needs to be prepared and approved before any money is invested. It seems the business model at MR is 'what shall we have a punt on this week?'.

In typical government style, those responsible for a project which most of us could see wouldn't work (see previous posts) will not carry the can, instead the financial impact of this latest failure will be felt by those much lower down the greasy pole...I await news of job cuts imminently, but not from the management.

• Like 2

I doubt if closure is a surprise to many of us on MF. Like many projects launched with high hopes, the ordinary 'man in the street', if asked, would have said, "Waste of money", right from the start. But it's never the ordinary guy who gets asked, just his money that gets wasted.

Actually, as an ordinary man in the street I thought TT365, or rather the making use of the Radio TT archives, was a brilliant move. This should have been the basis for making a forune for Manx Radio and scattering much pleasure thoughout the world in the process.

I am so disappointed.

And disappointed that there are people up at Manx Radio who are so apparently clueless.

In the spirit of Manx Radio TT 365 I thought I would collect together some of the best quotes from this thread and intersperse some soft rock classics.

Check out the TT365 stats. App downloads, radio player listens, website hits, facebook likes - it's a winner and has created a much needed additional revenue stream. If they also broadcast at other road racing events, it will only get even bigger. It's called tribal marketing. I can't believe no one had thought of it before. LeMans runs a 365 station too.

Give it 12 months and they'll be pulling in major advertisers.

I read this topic from the start - hilarious how totally wrong the majority got it.

Sorry, I only got that far and realised it was a shit idea and not worth pursuing.

• Like 1

To not string it out for another six months till TT suggests this was a turkey of the highest order. It's a shame, as it was the only opportunity to get Manx Radio away from the government teat. It probably needed a bit more money thrown at it to have any chance.

So, Manx Radio, now it is a carcass and no longer an ongoing commercial concern, you can open the books on it, right? And show us how much of our subsidy - the subsidy that is paid to you to to provide on-island services for local people - was spent setting up, promoting and running this station.

I don't blame Manx Radio for having a go at this, but now it has failed - surviving less than a year and with a press release that suggested it was just another subsidy grab from government - we deserve to know what was spent on it. The less transparent they are up there, the more opportunity Ron Berry will get to make his case.

(On a side note, if the merger of all three went ahead, why not turn energy into Manx Radio 365 - bike news, 24/7 music, classic commentaries on FM, Island-wide and over the internet. There - a free consulation, gizza job IOMG. I noes numbers and stuff)