What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

So, Manx Radio, now it is a carcass and no longer an ongoing commercial concern, you can open the books on it, right? And show us how much of our subsidy - the subsidy that is paid to you to to provide on-island services for local people - was spent setting up, promoting and running this station.

You've changed your tune! This is what I was asking for almost 12 months ago, and being criticised by the likes of you for wanting to know. Give it time, I was told. I have. It failed. And it is only now you are interested in the costs. If these questions had been asked BEFORE it went ahead, or even answered when I first asked, then maybe we wouldn't be sitting here looking at the inevitable outcome, but with 12 months of investment blown.

I understand commercial confidentiality, but I don't understand anyone, especially someone entrusted with public money, not having to demonstrate a sound business case before wasting our cash

Surely the real issue here is that Manx Radio expected the government to give it even more money to provide a "service" for people outside the Isle of Man at a time of austerity and when advertising is in the doldrums.

If Manx Radio were a commercial organisation and took a risk and failed, that would be fair enough.

But since it's propped up by you and me, its management never really take risks at all.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/closedown-for-manx-radio-tt-365-s-service-1-5402235

Incidentally, if its archive is so valuable, the government should sell it to a commercial organisation that might be able to exploit it.

Then we also might have a boost to government income.

If that commercial organisation managed to exploit the archives well (or at least better than Manx Radio), it would still benefit the island because it would effectively be promoting the races.

Couldn't they sell the recordings as podcasts or whatever on iTunes, Amazon, play.google.com, and online?

Not being funny, but if they couldn't give it away to sufficient numbers, why do you think they could sell it? As I said ages ago:

Methinks a certain clique are legends in their own hospitality suite and are completely divorced from reality.
Edited by Pierrot Lunaire
  • Like 1

Surely the real issue here is that Manx Radio expected the government to give it even more money to provide a "service" for people outside the Isle of Man at a time of austerity and when advertising is in the doldrums.

If Manx Radio were a commercial organisation and took a risk and failed, that would be fair enough.

But since it's propped up by you and me, its management never really take risks at all.

http://www.iomtoday....rvice-1-5402235

Expected,promised? Without all the facts it is difficult to understand the thinking about this.

I doubt Manx Radio had the idea and ran with it thinking IoM Govt would provide funding without talking to IoM Govt. I guess that somebody had the idea, several parties liked the idea in principal, including the Govt as they thought it would push the TT brand but it was run with before everything was nailed down

Incidentally, if its archive is so valuable, the government should sell it to a commercial organisation that might be able to exploit it.

Totally Agree. I think the material has a value to a biking station, but you probably need to spend time and money making a program around a race, cutting in comments/interviews with the participants, reducing much of the commentry rather than just replaying old commentries. Basically so it is a radio documentatry

Still an opportunity to do this kind of thing though. A TT Documentary-per-year series could have a market value. Manx Radio could do this as part of their regular schedule as long as it goes out on Manx Radio first it will entirely within their 'scope' but, let's be honest here, they've had a go at it and actually managed to devalue the idea a little bit. Someone like Duke could do it - radio commentary, footage where there is some, photos and interviews. But the fact that they haven't suggests that there isn't a market big enough to sustain it. I wonder if the TT has that many fans outside of the 30,000 who come here to see it. And a portion of them come for the live event atmosphere but would not be interested in reliving the 'sport' years down the line.

So, Manx Radio, now it is a carcass and no longer an ongoing commercial concern, you can open the books on it, right? And show us how much of our subsidy - the subsidy that is paid to you to to provide on-island services for local people - was spent setting up, promoting and running this station.

You've changed your tune! This is what I was asking for almost 12 months ago, and being criticised by the likes of you for wanting to know.

I respected their right to have a 'punt' at it though. The whole thing, like much of what they do outside of their core broadcasts, just seemed to be a little half-hearted. Things like this need time, commitment and money. If they didn't have any of these, they should maybe have held off until then. Not to run it as far as this years TT seems bizarre to say the least. The numbers must have been really terrible for them to pull it now.

Anyone that runs a website can see straight through that press release. The numbers quoted mean nothing, and listing countries that have visited is a joke! If they have managed to capture people for an average of nearly an hour at a time, then its very odd that they couldn't find advertisers for those spaces where they were running 'retro freebie' commercials.

Edited by parchedpeas

It's what most of us said from the start, a great idea with real potential but piss poor execution that was bound to fail. I'm repeating myself from an earlier post but they should have used the T.T. archive recordings to revive the FM evening schedule. Stick the commentaries on with a decent presenter who knows his stuff, a quality rock show either side of it, a phone-in, knowledgeable guests, etc, and you've got a winner. This sort of presentation could work with a whole range of programmes. I suspect what happened here was the usual scenario where yet another Harry Flash with a sharp line in media buzzology, brought along his I-pad and toys and convinced everyone that he knew what he was talking about.