What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

I don't know why they call it the 'wireless'. My radio's full of wires and won't even work if I don't plug it in with the plug on the end of the wire connected to it. I think maybe someone writing the dictionary that year must have fell asleep or confused 'wireless' with a block of cheese on their desk or something like that.

As most people thought way back last April [i think] this was another mad idea from someone who new nothing about Road Racing on the Isle of Man, and which was doomed to failure. The trouble is that it is now being used as ammunition by the 'anti TT brigade'. Did they not see that coming ? I think most Bike fans did

As most people thought way back last April [i think] this was another mad idea from someone who new nothing about Road Racing on the Isle of Man, and which was doomed to failure. The trouble is that it is now being used as ammunition by the 'anti TT brigade'. Did they not see that coming ? I think most Bike fans did

It's what most of us said from the start, a great idea with real potential but piss poor execution that was bound to fail. I'm repeating myself from an earlier post but they should have used the T.T. archive recordings to revive the FM evening schedule. Stick the commentaries on with a decent presenter who knows his stuff, a quality rock show either side of it, a phone-in, knowledgeable guests, etc, and you've got a winner. This sort of presentation could work with a whole range of programmes. I suspect what happened here was the usual scenario where yet another Harry Flash with a sharp line in media buzzology, brought along his I-pad and toys and convinced everyone that he knew what he was talking about.

TT365, a huge opportunty wasted.

Does anyone know who 'Harry Flash' was in this case?

Interesting that it's going "to save costs", as when it was launched the suggestion was that there weren't many costs attached.

A 'TT Retro Years' format could work; with edited commentaries, clips and quotes linked with the hits of the year. That could run nightly for an hour, or maybe 2 hours just at the weekend. That would then help the TT brand, use the archives and create some simple but entertaining programming.

Why cancel it now, before TT? Makes sense, as when TT is on they need to promote RadioTT as it is, rather than a 365 day service that is about to close. Makes perfect sense to do it now, and move on.

It's what most of us said from the start, a great idea with real potential but piss poor execution that was bound to fail. I'm repeating myself from an earlier post but they should have used the T.T. archive recordings to revive the FM evening schedule. Stick the commentaries on with a decent presenter who knows his stuff, a quality rock show either side of it, a phone-in, knowledgeable guests, etc, and you've got a winner. This sort of presentation could work with a whole range of programmes. I suspect what happened here was the usual scenario where yet another Harry Flash with a sharp line in media buzzology, brought along his I-pad and toys and convinced everyone that he knew what he was talking about.

TT365, a huge opportunty wasted.

Does anyone know who 'Harry Flash' was in this case?

Dan Walker ? (No relation to Murray or Graham then I assume)

Nah, you're MILES away mate....

Careful Now. Down with this sort of thing.

You seem to have me mixed up with my uncle who was called Harry (Walker, of course, not Flash) and an awfully decent bloke he was too. He had a riding school at Farm Hill before the war but I digress.

Mr Quilp seems to be imputing that I was appointed to work on MRTT365 due to some degree of nepotism. It's not the first time that has surfaced on this thread. Very, very naughty that.

As for TT365 being my idea I'm happy to reassure SMUJ that I have never had (or have any intention of purchasing) an iPad. I was simply brought in to do the donkey work - dubbing off the old tapes, restoring and editing audio for broadcast, scheduling the programmes and that sort of thing. AFAIK the whole idea originated in-house.

Sorry to disappoint ladies and gents but I'm not privileged to the book-keeping side of the business so I can't fill you in on those details and I'm still officially employed by Manx Radio until the 31st of March tidying up the loose ends (and continuing to upload race commentaries to iTunes so MR get some value out of the archive once TT365 shuts down) so I am bound by my contract to respect commercial confidentiality.

I know that I'm hardly amongst friends here but I would like to suggest you have a look at the facebook page before you write the project off as a complete disaster. There are somewhere in the region of 200 positive comments asking how MRTT365 can be saved etc - yes I know it is a self-selecting audience but it does show there is an appetite for the audio even if the format wasn't as polished as it could have been.

Anyway I'm now looking forward to sitting on the hedge and actually watching the TT for the first time in four years instead of working at it.

I won't be contributing to this thread any further but you can email me at danwalker@manxradio.com and I'll try to answer as honestly as I can (but if you're looking for financial/commercially sensitive details you'll be better off emailing/calling Anthony Pugh for the reasons I gave above).

Edited by Dan Walker

Plenty of decent ideas on this thread.

The internet figures provided are very impressive though and it is amazing that it has failed but the output just wasn't right.

I'm no mathematician, but it seems that the total UNIQUE vists amounted to 165,00 in one year. That's 450 a day.

One thing I definitely CAN tell you is that you can't sell 500 listeners to any advertiser, so the potential for self-funding would appear to be completely non-existent.

As Mr Pugh said, it could only have continued with MORE government funding.

Hands up all those who would like to give Manx Radio some more money to fund this interesting and worthwhile scheme...

Plenty of decent ideas on this thread.

The internet figures provided are very impressive though and it is amazing that it has failed but the output just wasn't right.

I'm no mathematician, but it seems that the total UNIQUE vists amounted to 165,00 in one year. That's 450 a day.

One thing I definitely CAN tell you is that you can't sell 500 listeners to any advertiser, so the potential for self-funding would appear to be completely non-existent.

As Mr Pugh said, it could only have continued with MORE government funding.

Hands up all those who would like to give Manx Radio some more money to fund this interesting and worthwhile scheme...

It does seem like the whole initiative was to based on continuing to do what they know best, running an unprofitable radio station that requires huge amounts of government funding, perhaps inevitable when none of the management have any commercial experience.

@Dan Walker...

You're wrong on that. I impute nothing of the sort. Very, very naughty of you to impute that nepotism/how you MAY be related, resulted in your, or anyones lofty-rise. That just doesn't happen on the Island. Methinks you protest too much....

If resources are being used to fund the main 'public service' of Manx Radio, will the regular MANX RADIO TT run during TT fortnight or has that been cut too?

Press Release says that MANX RADIO will bring the usual commentaries, but will that simply be just the commentaries or will it be the usual 'Bikers Breakfast', 'Full Throttle', 'Burnout' etc programme schedule?

The cheaper option would be just to run the commentaries.