What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

The cheaper option would be just to run the commentaries.

Surely that's the most sensible idea and one which best suits the public service remit. I can't see how the figures add up to justify running a station for two weeks dedicated to the TT, separate from the main station. After all, fewer people come to see the races every year than attend a single average Premier League football match. I can't see the extra advertising revenue even coming close to covering the cost, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

You'll probably find that RadioTT more than funds itself through advertising.

However, this does bring into the limelight that 'backdoor' subsidy that Manx Radio also receives, on top of the hand-out it already gets, namely the government advertising is receives throughout the year and chiefly at TT time. Add to that the advetising carried out by quangos and councils (MNH, Douglas Borough Council etc) and stick the subsidy and captial expenditure on top and I think you'd find that the total taxpayer input into Manx Radio is closer to £2 million than the £1million that is quoted.

How much advertising comes from private entertprise?

Not if there's extra ad revenue from the programmes - I'd imagine a lot of the sponsors would do a package deal for bundles of ads.

From what I can make out, MRTT365 was paying its own way but a sponsorship deal couldn't be done because the government's motorsports organisers have their own sponsors and never the twain shall differ. So if you have an official beer sponsor, you couldn't sign a rival beer no matter how much they offered to advertise.

Short-sightedness on the govt behalf - I don't listen to 365 but surely anything earning cash for MR has to be good news no matter what their audience figures are?

I'd say this says more about the soulless corporate obsessives at Economic Development who oversee the TT than it does about MR.

If the few paying advertisers on there could pay a salary, overheads and the costs of the apps and website set-up in the first year then why cut it? Surely it breaking even in the first year would be a success?

I think it did - it's ending with the start of the new financial year which suggests 2013/14 would be the hassle. Otherwise you'd shut it down immediately.

I would like to suggest you have a look at the facebook page before you write the project off as a complete disaster. There are somewhere in the region of 200 positive comments asking how MRTT365 can be saved etc - yes I know it is a self-selecting audience but it does show there is an appetite for the audio even if the format wasn't as polished as it could have been.

But the project is a complete disaster. It should have been a roaring success. I am sure there is plenty of positive feedback but the main thing is, there needs to be a decent knowledeable business manager running the project.

We all knew the appetite for the audio is enormous, that should be obvious. The faults had nothing to do with the polished or otherwise format, just how the whole thing was launched and executed.

When I see on the RadioTT Facebook page that an announcement is made for a particular archive and someone replies with "thanks for sharing", I dispair. I really do.

Edited by carbon selector

When I see on the RadioTT Facebook page that an announcement is made for a particular archive and someone replies with "thanks for sharing", I dispair. I really do.

You 'dispair' at someone saying thank you?

I think the phrase I used was "thanks for sharing".

You either get the point or you don't.

Slinky, you don't happen to run Manx Radio's TT365 by any chance do you?

... We all knew the appetite for the audio is enormous...

Erm, no. 500 people a day is not "enormous" by any standards and certainly not enough to make a website readio station and staff financially viable.

Thus it has closed down.

QED

QED my arse.

Those 500 people a day are unique hits.

source

Since launch, 430,000 visits have been made to Manx Radio TT 365 by 165,000 unique visitors from 153 countries.

Visitors from the UK, Isle of Man, Ireland, USA and Australia make up the top five, however, visitors came to the site from as far afield as Brazil, India, Japan, China, United Arab Emirates, South Africa and every European country. Those TT fans spent, on average, 59 minutes and 52 seconds re-living the racing and immersing themselves in the culture and history of the Isle of Man each time they visited the site.

An hour a hit! That is amazing. Youtube figures for example: the vast majority of visits are click-throughs, and are less than a few seconds and that brings the average stay right down. (Youtube not necessarily comparable but a good illustration).

Regarding the unique hits, to capture that many over such a period is spectacular. It is keeping them and increasing them that is the easy bit. Sorry, in this case, clearly the difficult, very, very difficult bit. *Sarcasm and all that*

500 unique hits a day is enormous. I'll restate..it's fucking enormous. It shows the power of the product, but if you don't have a clue or understanding how to capitalise on it, then what is the point.

You work for Manx Radio jonny?

Edited by carbon selector