What The... Manx Radio Tt365

bishbashbosh

http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=59093

I won't criticise it (i.e. should Manx Radio be spending money on this) as I quite literaly don't get it... blink.png

So let me get this straight. The Government thought this was a bad idea and would not back it. So Manx Radio, who are financially supported by Government money [Our money] went ahead and did it anyway. Do I have that right , and who will pick up the tab.? Let me guess = US

They had American backers?

• Like 1

http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=59093

I won't criticise it (i.e. should Manx Radio be spending money on this) as I quite literaly don't get it... blink.png

So let me get this straight. The Government thought this was a bad idea and would not back it. So Manx Radio, who are financially supported by Government money [Our money] went ahead and did it anyway. Do I have that right , and who will pick up the tab.? Let me guess = US

hasn't this sort of situation happened before....MEA??

• Like 1

If YOU were selling YOUR house, where would YOU advertise?

Isle of Man Newspapers. Obviously. There is little relevant common ground between Isle of Man Newspapers' wide audience and a site offering archive footage of the Isle of Man TT races.

TT365 failed. Everyone agrees that.

Where my argument and your argument differs is that you would appear to think it was doomed to failure in any case. My argument is that it failed but should not have failed. Properly managed it should have succeeded. You won't accept that.

Even with it being mismanaged, poorly delivered, not properly marketed, whatever - it was still getting significant hits. Showing there is a market out there that wants access to that archive.

An example to try and illustrate: someone tells me they have found in his father's loft four old reels of Dads Army film. His father was a technician with the BBC and worked on the films and kept the reels for a souvenir and memento. They were, after all being thrown out. The episodes/films are offically listed as "missing" by the BBC.

Leaving severe BBC copyright rules to one side for this example, and let us say my colleague owns the films outright, I can have the film expertly and cleanly transferred to a PC in a weekend. And the missing episodes can then be put up on youtube. Result - the world now has access to these missing treasures. Job done, everybody is happy.

OK, the films can be transferred to DvD to make a few bob.

But is even that how to maximise the audience and income?

You're right. Based on the significant lack of success of existing bikers Internet radio stations in attracting advertising and sponsorship it always appeared to me that TT365 had almost no chance of succeeding either. I'm still of that opinion, and the incredibly low number visitors staying for an inordinately long time (in web terms) demonstrates conclusively that it was addressing a tiny band of enthusiasts. Too tiny to be worthy of the advertising dollar. No amount of management can save a business when the concept has such a fundamental flaw. I'm appalled that the station bosses even considered throwing more of our money at what was already a provably dead duck.

Incidentally, the BBC's "severe" copyright restrictions are quite simple: they pay for a programme to be made and it thus BELONGS to them, not the hordes of morons who think YouTube provides them with a god- given rifgt to steal other people's work. You wouldn't go to HMV and steal the DVD, so what makes it okay to steal it on the Internet?

Where my argument and your argument differs is that you would appear to think it was doomed to failure in any case. My argument is that it failed but should not have failed. Properly managed it should have succeeded. You won't accept that.

the problem was a shit idea poorly managed not just one in isolation.

Sure the audio vault has some value, but setting up an online radio station was never going to realise it. As paid downloads or a boxed set of cd's maybe, but as the basis of a dedicated radio station it was a really shit idea that in any commercial organisation would not have got beyond one discussion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Think I heard them say it was being launched on iTunes

iTunes how exactly? Asking people to pay for downloads of stuff that they've been listening to for free since May last year.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if it launched in May last year and is closing on April 26th this year it has NOT actually managed to cover 365 days!

• 7 months later...

In search of some nostalgia, I was reading back through some old threads when this classic popped up...

I came across this comment, from a leading marketeer, and given the concept collapsed within a year, it made me giggle and wonder how he's getting on with his hopeless and misplaced optimism - also are we allowed to see how much was spent on it now?

Check out the TT365 stats. App downloads, radio player listens, website hits, facebook likes - it's a winner and has created a much needed additional revenue stream. If they also broadcast at other road racing events, it will only get even bigger. It's called tribal marketing. I can't believe no one had thought of it before. LeMans runs a 365 station too.
Give it 12 months and they'll be pulling in major advertisers.
I read this topic from the start - hilarious how totally wrong the majority got it.

In search of some nostalgia, I was reading back through some old threads when this classic popped up...

I came across this comment, from a leading marketeer, and given the concept collapsed within a year, it made me giggle and wonder how he's getting on with his hopeless and misplaced optimism - also are we allowed to see how much was spent on it now?

Nostalgia my arse, you just want to have your I told you so moment. Marketing people should be positive about a project if they believe in it, that's their job.

Why did you miss off the last line of the quote? You had to manually edit out the following end of paragraph, didn't fit your boasting?

.... It may not work long term, but at least some people are trying to do something to break out of this difficult economic climate we find oursleves in.

• Like 1

.... It may not work long term, but at least some people are trying to do something to break out of this difficult economic climate we find oursleves in.

Hang on, it did not even work short term, it was canned shortly after that ever so positive statement, which you have to admit is piss funny.

Edited by j2bad