Jump to content

Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I seem to remember years ago seeing the dredger in there . But hey we didnt need it anymore did we so got rid .

I've been resident on the Island for nearly 40 years and I don't ever recall a boat cancellation due to silting up over that period of time. Heysham yes but not Douglas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I seem to remember years ago seeing the dredger in there . But hey we didnt need it anymore did we so got rid .

"Savings", initiated during the Gawne DOI years following the VAT cut IIRC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn’t take long for the pathetic weasel words from the Incompetent Department of Incompetence, blaming debris in the harbour which normally gets moved by the movement of commercial boats. Excuses Excuses Excuses. Time for Reynoldsway to go, and a widespread cull of the deadwood at Incompetent Department, without replacements. 
 

SPCO 2 IOMG 0

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I've been resident on the Island for nearly 40 years and I don't ever recall a boat cancellation due to silting up over that period of time. Heysham yes but not Douglas.

No I agree but the point I was making I'm pretty sure reactive preventitive dredging took place in the harbours back in the day . But now of course it doesnt .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No I agree but the point I was making I'm pretty sure reactive preventitive dredging took place in the harbours back in the day . But now of course it doesnt .

Back in the day, the island had pride. It was dynamic and had get up and go. Today all of that has gone. We have a ‘what’s in it for me’ civil servant mentality. Nobody gives a toss that’s all over Government. Too many Government toadies, hangers on and companies on the government payroll who think they have a divine right to contracts. Look at the promenade, what a fcuking joke sums it up from the 2 Ministers, the Department members and the civil servants - not guts, spineless and useless. If they had any guts they would have resigned and if they were really qualified they would have walked into another job, They won’t as they are addicted to the islands teat. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Didn’t take long for the pathetic weasel words from the Incompetent Department of Incompetence, blaming debris in the harbour which normally gets moved by the movement of commercial boats. Excuses Excuses Excuses. Time for Reynoldsway to go, and a widespread cull of the deadwood at Incompetent Department, without replacements. 
 

SPCO 2 IOMG 0

Yup the Airport dream team Reynolds, Spake and Black. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, asitis said:

Yup the Airport dream team Reynolds, Spake and Black. 

Not to mention Harmer, Baker, aided by the People’s Prince, who funnily enough hasn’t said a word (perhaps it’s going to be in his blog!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Len Trench said:

Thanks 2112. Big of the gov to admit it’s silted up another harbour lol.

BD4FCE1B-A2EB-4933-91A7-362968BF8A9F.jpeg

This isn't an area I know much about, but it doesn't make much sense to me.   If you're cancelling a sailing to allow rescheduling, you'd think the following sailings ought to be at different times from normal by quite a bit.  Because there's obviously some slack in the schedule, so a cancellation would only be forced by the need to make large changes.  But subsequent sailings seem to be on the same schedule as normal.

And if the silting up of Douglas Harbour is only bad enough to affect a few sailings a year, then presumably altering sailing times by an hour or less would mean that the worst consequences could be avoided.  Maybe there's some abstruse technical reason, but it all seems odd.

Cancelling a sailing because you've got no (or very few) passengers either way and any cargo can all be 'bumped' to the evening sailing, I would understand.  But maybe that can't be done under the Agreement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...