Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

12 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

The DoI purchased a dredger about 5 or 6 years ago spent an absolute fortune on it used it once I think then it disappeared probably in the hanger in jurby hidden out of site.

It'll be a gun boat in Sierra Leone by now.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This isn't an area I know much about, but it doesn't make much sense to me.   If you're cancelling a sailing to allow rescheduling, you'd think the following sailings ought to be at different times from normal by quite a bit.  Because there's obviously some slack in the schedule, so a cancellation would only be forced by the need to make large changes.  But subsequent sailings seem to be on the same schedule as normal.

And if the silting up of Douglas Harbour is only bad enough to affect a few sailings a year, then presumably altering sailing times by an hour or less would mean that the worst consequences could be avoided.  Maybe there's some abstruse technical reason, but it all seems odd.

Cancelling a sailing because you've got no (or very few) passengers either way and any cargo can all be 'bumped' to the evening sailing, I would understand.  But maybe that can't be done under the Agreement.

Unlike you RM to not do your research. The list of amended scheduling was published this morning

7A49FAC6-95FE-464F-90DE-418334F3991D.png

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Unlike you RM to not do your research. The list of amended scheduling was published this morning

7A49FAC6-95FE-464F-90DE-418334F3991D.png

Well you can't expect me to check everything back to the latest source material!  But thanks - that makes sense now, though it doesn't explain the way they issued notification of the cancellation without altering the evening sailing.  They've now altered that by a lot, which is what I expected to see.

It still gives rise to the question how often this needs to happen and if it is becoming increasingly frequent?  Obviously if it was left to the DoI they'd wait till the silt was to the top of the harbour wall and then announce a masterplan to rebuild Douglas from scratch, but action may need to be a bit speedier than that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well you can't expect me to check everything back to the latest source material!  But thanks - that makes sense now, though it doesn't explain the way they issued notification of the cancellation without altering the evening sailing.  They've now altered that by a lot, which is what I expected to see.

It still gives rise to the question how often this needs to happen and if it is becoming increasingly frequent?  Obviously if it was left to the DoI they'd wait till the silt was to the top of the harbour wall and then announce a masterplan to rebuild Douglas from scratch, but action may need to be a bit speedier than that.

There have been a number of reschedulings in recent years, both Heysham and Douglas, at extreme spring tides, when the range for high and low tides are at their greatest, and it also depends on wind direction and weather conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, asitis said:

Last I heard he had been sent on Gardening Leave.

It's not Ground Force, is it....?

16 hours ago, Driver2020 said:

The DoI purchased a dredger about 5 or 6 years ago spent an absolute fortune on it used it once I think then it disappeared probably in the hanger in jurby hidden out of site.

Yes, I remember the "african queen" she lay in Jurby hangar along with the £000's worth of slurry pipes that were bought with it to pump silt from Peel harbour to the end of the breakwater. Was anybody sacked over that large waste of taxpayers money? no thought not. 

• Like 3