Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

46 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Perhaps one of these is next. They sail between Argentina and Uruguay, across the River Plate Buenos Aires to Montevideo - around 4-5 hours.

Incat Tasmania has started the construction process of the new 130 metre catamaran for Buquebus, with the cutting of the first  plate at the Hobart, Tasmania shipyard!  

At a probable 13,000 gross registered tonnes the 130‑metre long, 32‑metre wide vessel will carry 2100 passengers and 220 cars. 

Incat 096 will be world's largest aluminium ferry and the ninth vessel for Incat’s valued South American customer. When the new catamaran enters service between Argentina and Uruguay she is expected to have a maximum speed of over 40 knots. 

C7031D7F-3112-42B7-BB62-3213F8ABC0AB.png

A second 'Manxman' vessel is likely. The design work was a big ticket item so it makes sense to have two identical vessels. 

Rising fuel costs will kill off the fast craft in the next few years. There's a reason every other Irish Sea operator has got rid of vessels like Manannan. She was only kept because of the clause in the former User Agreement. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

The Irish Sea is not a river

and just wait until the  Argentinians  see what it costs to run , the fuel costs will be astronomical ,and I bet the deal was done  long before the massive  hike in worldwide  oil and energy prices , if I am not mistaken our   local sea cat  consumes 54 litres of fuel per nautical mile , so the running costs  are significant when she is not  operating fully laden ,  one has to question in the current climate are sea cats and fast craft still viable ?

14 minutes ago, Omobono said:

and just wait until the  Argentinians  see what it costs to run , the fuel costs will be astronomical ,and I bet the deal was done  long before the massive  hike in worldwide  oil and energy prices , if I am not mistaken our   local sea cat  consumes 54 litres of fuel per nautical mile , so the running costs  are significant when she is not  operating fully laden ,  one has to question in the current climate are sea cats and fast craft still viable ?

Buquebus run a fleet of 9 catamaran hulled, aluminium, fast craft between Argentina and Uruguay. On both the short & long routes. They know.

I seem to recall one of our first seacats was ex Buquebus.

But never one this size.

26 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

A second 'Manxman' vessel is likely. The design work was a big ticket item so it makes sense to have two identical vessels. 

Rising fuel costs will kill off the fast craft in the next few years. There's a reason every other Irish Sea operator has got rid of vessels like Manannan. She was only kept because of the clause in the former User Agreement. 

Fully agree. But they’re talking of a second hand fast craft.

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

TBF, it will be the Steam Packet (hopefully without IOMG involvement other than sign off) who will do the procurement and they have a good record, don't they? 

The BMC has been a faithful servant, however the shackles of the User Agreement may be the Achilles Heel?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

The BMC has been a faithful servant, however the shackles of the User Agreement may be the Achilles Heel?

That, surely, has to be up for renegotiation as the world and the relationship between the Steammie and IOMG has changed immensely.  However, it should be negotiated on an arms' length and commercial basis despite the ownership.  But, as you say, it could be seen as a way to tinker with operational matters so, yes, we could end up with another borscht situation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

That, surely, has to be up for renegotiation as the world and the relationship between the Steammie and IOMG has changed immensely.  However, it should be negotiated on an arms' length and commercial basis despite the ownership.  But, as you say, it could be seen as a way to tinker with operational matters so, yes, we could end up with another borscht situation.

It was renegotiated after the share purchase, Done deal. Recent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no way in the world that operating a fuel thirsty vessel on an Irish Sea Route, which can't sail for much of the winter makes any commercial sense at all ! If we are to take anything from the 100million tin shed on Merseyside it is perhaps that we need to use it if possible. A year round craft to do that seems to make more sense.

23 minutes ago, asitis said:

There is no way in the world that operating a fuel thirsty vessel on an Irish Sea Route, which can't sail for much of the winter makes any commercial sense at all ! If we are to take anything from the 100million tin shed on Merseyside it is perhaps that we need to use it if possible. A year round craft to do that seems to make more sense.

The tech specs I’ve been able to track down for the new In-Cat/Buquebus monster suggest Irish Sea all year round capability. It would need that to cross the River Plate mouth from BA to Montevideo. It’s exposed and the South Atlantic Gales funnel in. 

My original post was tongue in cheek, but that’s a monster. Almost as long and wider, and more carrying capacity, than the Ben.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

if I am not mistaken our   local sea cat  consumes 54 litres of fuel per nautical mile ,

Interesting. By a quick back of envelope calculation, that would mean a trip to Liverpool would burn about 4 tonnes / $5k of MGO (very roughly). That's less than I would have imagined.

• 1 month later...