Jump to content

Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings


Amadeus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Going to be a job to keep the Manxy alongside in these gales. She's got and even higher, wider and longer profile than the Ben. 

That's why there's the works being done to the pier next Summer.  Just have to hope the Summer is less stormy and the work gets done on time.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Heard last week that the Ben is off on longterm charter to Calmac next year once the new ship is up and running, coming back here for Christmas and TT. 

If that's true, it makes the purchase of the Arrow more explicable.  It won't be just providing cover for this Winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Going to be a job to keep the Manxy alongside in these gales. She's got and even higher, wider and longer profile than the Ben. 

 

Heard last week that the Ben is off on longterm charter to Calmac next year once the new ship is up and running, coming back here for Christmas and TT. 

 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's why there's the works being done to the pier next Summer.  Just have to hope the Summer is less stormy and the work gets done on time.

If that's true, it makes the purchase of the Arrow more explicable.  It won't be just providing cover for this Winter.

I’d have my doubts about Ben joining the CalMac fleet on charter. She’s 24 metres ( 80 feet ) longer than anything in the current non NorthLink RoPax fleet. They only have 2 x 100 metre plus boats.

Even the Glen Sannox ( now approaching 5 years late with a 400% cost overun ) and her as yet unnamed sister ship ( 3 years late and not due for delivery until at least summer 2024 ) are only 102.5 metres.

The fact they keep their vessels short reflects harbour capacity.

Arrow could be lucrative on full time charter to relieve freight and open up extra passenger capacity, although she’s only marginally shorter. Her two sister ships Hidasay and Helliar provide freight service from Aberdeen to Orkney & Shetland, but are the same age and due to be replaced.

Presumably the charter would be by CalMac Maritime Assets who would then subcharter to CalMac or NorthLink.

The two RoPax covering Aberdeen to Lerwick and Kirkwall are more modern, just, than Ben, same length, but each, crucially, have cabin berths for 350+ passengers. The Ben is 80.

of CalMacs non NorthLink fleet there are 11 ferries over 80 metres ( but only 2 above 100 ) and 7 of them are more than 30 years old and a couple date back 40.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben going into Cammel Laird for mooring equipment repairs, Mannanan to cover sailings to 7 November. Management accept Ben is getting old. Presume it’s to do with the incident in Heysham recently.

It's due to Ben-my-Chree requiring 'essential repairs'

The Steam Packet is making some changes to its sailing schedules during this month.

The organisation says it's due to the Ben-my-Chree requiring 'essential repairs' at Cammell Laird in Merseyside.

The Ben-my-Chree is expected to be at the Cammell Laird yard for around six days as repairs are carried out on its mooring equipment.

As a result, the Manannan will remain in service until 7 November to cover daytime services between Douglas and Heysham.

Meanwhile, the MV Arrow will return to cover overnight freight sailings.

All customers affected by the timetable changes will be contacted to inform them ahead of time.

Steam Packet Managing Director, Brian Thomson, is apologising for the disruption, but says 'safety must come first'.

He adds the Ben-my-Chree is no longer a 'young vessel' and 'things like this may crop up more often as a result'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The "Bread Argument" is so last century

Do we not have most households with freezing facilities?

Even if you don't have a full blown freezer your fridge will in 99% of the time, have a freezer compartment that can hold a loaf of bread.

Its absolute bullshit.

If you can't plan ahead enough to allow for even a week of non food deliveries from the UK, then maybe you should not be living on your own or let out on your own.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

The "Bread Argument" is so last century

Do we not have most households with freezing facilities?

Even if you don't have a full blown freezer your fridge will in 99% of the time, have a freezer compartment that can hold a loaf of bread.

Its absolute bullshit.

If you can't plan ahead enough to allow for even a week of non food deliveries from the UK, then maybe you should not be living on your own or let out on your own.

My suggestion in the thread which was closed was have they made up this ludicrous story about bread supplies so that the sustainable fund paid for it to get cheap debt? The argument is literally so preposterously stupid there has to be some other reason. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

The "Bread Argument" is so last century

Do we not have most households with freezing facilities?

Even if you don't have a full blown freezer your fridge will in 99% of the time, have a freezer compartment that can hold a loaf of bread.

Its absolute bullshit.

If you can't plan ahead enough to allow for even a week of non food deliveries from the UK, then maybe you should not be living on your own or let out on your own.

How much bread are these people eating? 

Club Tynwald members probably don't get the concept of freezing bread as they get it baked fresh every day from Noa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BriT said:

My suggestion in the thread which was closed was have they made up this ludicrous story about bread supplies so that the sustainable fund paid for it to get cheap debt? The argument is literally so preposterously stupid there has to be some other reason. 

As far as I’m aware, and we won’t see until the next SPCo accounts are published, the SP are buying it, without any contribution from the tax payer. It’s being bought because there’s a sound financial case. Whether that’s because they can charter it out, or having the Arrow will allow the Ben to be charters out, I don’t know. 

Condor and CalMac are both looking for extra tonnage as back up because they have fleet problems.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As far as I’m aware, and we won’t see until the next SPCo accounts are published, the SP are buying it, without any contribution from the tax payer. It’s being bought because there’s a sound financial case. Whether that’s because they can charter it out, or having the Arrow will allow the Ben to be charters out, I don’t know. 

Condor and CalMac are both looking for extra tonnage as back up because they have fleet problems.

Neither of those things have anything to do with bread though. I find such a completely ludicrous back story suspicious. . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

The "Bread Argument" is so last century

Do we not have most households with freezing facilities?

Even if you don't have a full blown freezer your fridge will in 99% of the time, have a freezer compartment that can hold a loaf of bread.

Its absolute bullshit.

If you can't plan ahead enough to allow for even a week of non food deliveries from the UK, then maybe you should not be living on your own or let out on your own.

I suspect the bread argument is metaphorical.  All kinds of stuff comes in by boat and we do need to secure that line of supply. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BriT said:

Neither of those things have anything to do with bread though. I find such a completely ludicrous back story suspicious. . 

It’s a direct response to your crazy hypothesis that the bread argument is being used to allow purchase out of the Green bond funds.

As Gladys says bread is a metaphor for essential supplies to the island if the Ben breaks down before Manxman arrives, or at times of peak demand thereafter. For all sorts of reasons Arrow will be much cheaper to operate as a relief boat than Ben.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s a direct response to your crazy hypothesis that the bread argument is being used to allow purchase out of the Green bond funds.

Crazy hypothesis (when it was no hypothesis) when a crazy story about paying £9 million to secure bread supplies is the main justification used? 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...