Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Amadeus

Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Surely there's a 10 day limit on results based insults?

Fastcraft future debate for Steam Packet.

With the Manannan making her final journeys across the Irish Sea for this year today (2 Nov), many ferry operators are debating whether the future lies with more modern conventional ferries. Running the Manannan is a considerably more expensive option for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company when compared to the Ben-My-Chree. And fastcraft are not able to operate over the winter months. Chief Executive Mark Woodward says the Steam Packet is far from alone in looking at the question of fastcraft viability:

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=73604

Is the only difference between a modern conventional ferry and a fastcraft the speed of it's transmission system?

To develop tourism we'd need to get back to the crossing speeds of the old steamers

doesn't the fast craft have four engines and 'jet' drives as opposed to one or two engines and prop drive?

I thought I heard someone from IOMSPC say that Manannans prop shaft(s) needed replacing

Anyway, Manannan is out of date now & new ships seem to have pod drives rather than prop shafts

doesn't the fast craft have four engines and 'jet' drives as opposed to one or two engines and prop drive?

Yeah, I think you're right there.

Due to the forecasted adverse weather, this sailing has been cancelled.Please contact 01624 661661 to transfer to an alternative sailing.

Don't they mean Forecast and not forecasted? I'm not a grammar pedant but it really grates

Don't they mean Forecast and not forecasted? I'm not a grammar pedant but it really grates

Engrish may not be there first langrage :lol:

Engrish may not be there first langrage :lol:

Both are right and can be used.

A true grammar pedant would/should know that.

See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/forecast