Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Amadeus

Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

It's hardly impressive negotiation skill if you hold not only all the aces, but the kings, queens, jacks, tens, etc

• Like 1

I was being a bit cynical John. But it's a bit like a business firm having their premises fall down and then having their (only) customer pay directly for the repair?

Having said that, if the Steam Packet can afford to take a half million £ PP-induced hit without it affecting fares, the Packet must be doing ok as well?

Personally, I'd rather have seen that half million being able to be directed towards the proposed new boats.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It's hardly impressive negotiation skill if you hold not only all the aces, but the kings, queens, jacks, tens, etc

Another analogy I heard recently was, playing Monopoly, where one player starts with all the properties, get out of jail free cards and all of the bank bar £1.  The other player gets the £1 and is expected to win.

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was being a bit cynical John. But it's a bit like a business firm having their premises fall down and then having their (only) customer pay directly for the repair?

Having said that, if the Steam Packet can afford to take a half million £ PP-induced hit without it affecting fares, the Packet must be doing ok as well?

Personally, I'd rather have seen that half million being able to be directed towards the proposed new boats.

It's £180,000 per year. Wonder what the annual use fee is?

Its the only area where there might be any scope for negotiation.

No, but it's reached the end of its life. Peel want to remove it. They've got EU/UKregional funding, plus Liverpool City regeneration cash to extend the liner berth.

when the old wooden ( with iron floatation pontoons) Princes Landing Stage started to fail in early-mid 1970's ( aged about 90 ) the IOM paid to replace it.

That became a scandal after the IoM SPCo/Manx Line merger because there were no, or limited, Liverpool services for two or three seasons and IOM were still paying off a non utilised berth.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2017 at 8:40 AM, Non-Believer said:

I was being a bit cynical John. But it's a bit like a business firm having their premises fall down and then having their (only) customer pay directly for ........

Well that is like it works really.

Tenants are very often on full repair and insuring leases which will involve work on a property and, if they vacate,  substantial delapidations. 

Why wouldn't IOMSPC be paying? They're the tenant i thought.  They are also hardly flush with options.

3 hours ago, ed fournier said:

It hit a basking shark on the way into Douglas today apparently.  Ship checked by diver - it's ok.

Shark steak on the menu tonight then?

Edited by dilligaf

6 hours ago, ed fournier said:

It hit a basking shark on the way into Douglas today apparently.  Ship checked by diver - it's ok.

was up Marine Dr for a walk this afternoon just before the delayed sailing left and there were the odd fins spotted to the south, hope it's not injured

15 hours ago, ed fournier said:

What about the shark?

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I'm sure Mark Woodward's just fine.

I was thinking more in terms of Mr Whittaker.....:lol:

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was thinking more in terms of Mr Whittaker.....:lol:

There's sharks... and then there's sharks :o

• Like 2

Ben delayed this evening , something wrapped around the propeller apparently  -  divers to be called if they can't resolve the issue