Manx Gas Prices Up 8%

The OFT say they continually monitor and question the suppliers on an ongoing basis.

They have said Manx Gas will be supplying information which will show the reasoning behind yesterday price boost.

Chairman of the OFT, David Quirk, has said they will continue to look at the local energy markets to ensure the suppliers are not enjoying excessive profitability at the expense of Manx consumers.

http://www.three.fm/...as-price-hikes/

Who exactly are they kidding?

Take a break young man.

Neither of us know the ins and outs of Manx Gas business and its entirely possible the rises can be justified.

We cant tell as we dont have the information presented independently.

The only way to find out is for OFT to investigate and report.

Give them a chance.

Edited by Hungry Harrison
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely stuff. Cue OFT doing f-all, Tynwald not caring one bit, and MG shareholders continuing to laugh all the way to the bank.   Has this cowboy outfit ever reduced prices? They are shafting the is

Helium-gas balloons have gone up too this week. It was my birthday yeahhhhh!

I should think they are worth it though - people speak very highly of them.

Depends where the price rise comes from. Are Manx Gas passing on the cost of the conversion project? If it's a wholesale gas price rise then I'd be surprised if the MEA didn't put the price up.

The conversion project is being paid for by government - not Manx Gas.

I know the goverment were paying for the gas mains, but assumed the customer premises side of the conversion was being covered by Manx Gas? Either way we'll pay one way or another.

I wouldn't be surprised if the government were paying for the lot. Parliament Street today - must have been atleast 8 different company gas vans & probably about 20 guys in hi-vis vests hanging around doing fuck all - apart from one who was using the opportunity to tidy up his tools in the back of his Range Rover (I shit you not). Had the look of a government job to me.

The OFT say they continually monitor and question the suppliers on an ongoing basis.

They have said Manx Gas will be supplying information which will show the reasoning behind yesterday price boost.

Chairman of the OFT, David Quirk, has said they will continue to look at the local energy markets to ensure the suppliers are not enjoying excessive profitability at the expense of Manx consumers.

Take a break young man.

Neither of us know the ins and outs of Manx Gas business and its entirely possible the rises can be justified.

Give them a chance.

You ARE a Manx Gas Employee (or an OFT Minion) and I claim my £5.......

Take a break young man.

Give them a chance.

Sorry, are you referring to the same OFT that did the SP report and then didn't publish it? Or the OFT that has virtually no powers? Or the OFT that time and time again says "Oh, we asked them. They have to increase prices. That's what they told us."?

We can prove that said OFT is virtually useless. We can also prove that the Island has some of the highest energy prices around. We have previously shown that MG raised prices when wholesale prices went down. The owners of MG seem happy to celebrate profits from here - must be real easy money.

I stand by my point that Manx Gas charges rip-off prices and is damaging the island in multiple ways - all while our honourable ones don't seem to care much. Cosy old boys club, that...

The gas is supplied by the MEA to Manx Gas,which is Government,so what is Government charging Manx Gas?,then we will see what kind of profit they are making,just a point on that,a few years ago the price was published,it was something like 45p a kwh,and Manx Gas charged the consumer £1.60 kwh,I may be wrong in the rates or for what the amount was,IE kwh,but I'm sure the OFT could give us the figures.

Somebody on here said will the electric go up too,if Manx Gas are saying that the cost of gas supplied to them by the MEA has gone up,then surely the cost to the MEA will have too,so next they will slap their rise on within a few weeks,lets see?.

So if I understand correctly, the MEA which is already a massive drain on the taxpayer due to financial irregularities, lack of supervision call it what you will, supplies gas to a company with shareholders which then extracts further profit from the aforementioned taxpayers who are already subsidising the essential gas works on the Island !

Does anyone think this sounds right ? oh yes the OFT and who funds them oh yes the same taxpayers !

So if I understand correctly, the MEA which is already a massive drain on the taxpayer due to financial irregularities, lack of supervision call it what you will, supplies gas to a company with shareholders which then extracts further profit from the aforementioned taxpayers who are already subsidising the essential gas works on the Island !

Does anyone think this sounds right ? oh yes the OFT and who funds them oh yes the same taxpayers !

Just to add to the pain the tax payer also paid for the new natural gas infrastructure conversion

No not subsidising - paying for, there is a difference.

... supplies gas to a company with shareholders which then extracts further profit from the aforementioned taxpayers who are already subsidising the essential gas works on the Island

welcome to monopoly capitalism as practised by low tax off-shore island based companies.

The gas is supplied by the MEA to Manx Gas,which is Government,so what is Government charging Manx Gas?,then we will see what kind of profit they are making,just a point on that,a few years ago the price was published,it was something like 45p a kwh,and Manx Gas charged the consumer £1.60 kwh,I may be wrong in the rates or for what the amount was,IE kwh,but I'm sure the OFT could give us the figures.

Somebody on here said will the electric go up too,if Manx Gas are saying that the cost of gas supplied to them by the MEA has gone up,then surely the cost to the MEA will have too,so next they will slap their rise on within a few weeks,lets see?.

Do manxgas buy their gas from the MEA ? I understood that they just pay for the use of the pipeline and both MEA and Manxgas buy from seperate wholesalers.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

oh dear looks like the local Manx gas prices will be going up soon, just ahead of the winter if these reports elsewhere are true:

Centrica-owned British Gas, which serves around 12 million homes, is preparing to announce as early as tomorrow that it is increasing electricity and gas charges in the high single percentage digits.The average British Gas annual dual-fuel bill for gas and electricity currently stands at £1,260 – meaning a 5pc increase would add £63, while an 8pc rise would put on £100.

update - just spoken (today Friday 12 October) to Manx Gas who have said:-

"we have no plans at the moment to increase gas prices for the winter"

when asked how long their 'moment' was they said:-

"price increases are not currently being discussed"