Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Money Spent Before Tynwald Approval

Or were his Dept Execs/Civil Servants busy spending taxpayers dollar and quietly doing their own thing?

As the MER is involved I'm sure this may be another of Mr Longworths rather frequent 'emergencies' that seem to arise from rather mundane things like leaky buses, diesel train engines needed to cut hedges, or payrises being needed to avert strikes. The guy has cried wolf so many times I'm amazed that any politician is prepared to stand up and justify any spending anymore. Long millions spent on new buses and the laughable need for a diesel loco etc when we are cutting student fees and nursery support. Maybe Gawne fell for this latest 'emergency' on the grounds of it's suggested significant impact on the Manx tourist industry? It would be a real bugger if those 100 elderly tourists we get turned up at Easter and couldn't get a tram to Laxey to buy an ice cream.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story ...

Just for the record the MER actually caused the problem as the re-laying of the track a few years back has caused the new ballast to act as a french drain funnelling the run-off water to one point at Ballure instead of letting it seep through the tracks at multiple points (it's also caused some streams to dry up and others to massively increase flows further up the track). The real issue here however is why the work wasn't done while the MER was closed, instead of that the work was done each evening after the MER was finished (H&S won't allow them to work under live wires with excavators for obvious reasons) meaning that a number of DOI workers were working evenings to get the job done before TT (very laudable I'm sure but I'm assuming they were suitably compensated). Apparently the cost of the job was coming out of DCCL budget but the job was done by DOI staff who were (I assume) earning all the overtime, nice work if you can get it but the real question is that if it was so urgent why wasn't the job done earlier to save money before the MER re-opened ?

Huuzah, someone taking their own initiative to get something done.

On the other hand, why does it take £300,000 to secure a fecking cliff?

Aye, that's the beauty of doing 'emergency' stuff. No need for all this tendering and having your price looked at and scritinised and stuff (not that the Isle of Man Government seems capable of scrutinising anything properly).

Edited by Theodolite

How is an "emergency" defined for stuff like this?

http://www.iomtoday....spend-1-4514904

I hardly think that affecting a few yards of track on the MEA could be defined as an emergency in anyone's book. If the main linkspan had collapsed and they couldn't deliver food into Douglas then that is an emergency. This is certainly not an emergency - it's an unfortunate incident and nothing more. Gawne has done this a few times now and he needs to understand that it is not his money to spend on whatever he wants. He is accountable to Tynwald for how his department spends the money allocated to it and if he needs additional cash he has to justify to Tynwald - and by extension the voting public - why. I see the total spend after Island Drainage have had their go is £1.1m so it's hardly chicken feed. Gawne needs to get with the programme - I see that several people in the IoM Newspapers comments have called him arrogant and he is.

I thought that lot may be involved somewhere along the line. What's the secret of these companies that seem to automatically get all government work without question?

Edited by Monkey boy

There is no secret MB, it is as simple as this; There are not that many builders/ construction firms on the island that can undertake works of that value or to put it another way, have the wherewithal financially to do the work.

The government do not just allow any Tom Dick or Harry to even price works like these, for good reason. That is the reason you see IDG alot and about 3 or maybe 4 other big firms getting the jobs that make the newspapers or radio.

You have to remember that after they start the job it will be about 2 months before they get any payment for the work they have done. Wages will have to be paid on a weekly basis and although most materials will be bought via a trade account with a merchant they will still have to lay out a lot of money before they get any back.

No fiddles, no backhanders just the nature of that sector of business.

OK, but I would have thought most workers were paid monthly these days. Perhaps if the government paid a bit quicker then smaller firms may be able to get some more of the work, as they do in the private sector. I just don't like the idea of long millions of public money making the shareholders of certain companies filthy rich just because the way government organize their purchasing prevent anyone else getting a look in.

The Environment Minister has apologised to Tynwald members for spending more than £300,000 on emergency cliff works BEFORE seeking their approval.

http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=59376

"Sorry Mr Gawne the 300k hasn't been approved, we'll be taking that out of your wages... unlucky."

It's a pity they didn't take the £250,000 cost of his stupid roundabout out of his wages as well,went around it last week,with the space that's there,it could have been a two lane one,what a waste of cobbles.