Cost Of Extension Over Garage In A Heritage Homes 3 Bed Semi?

Hi, I'm looking to pick the brains of people who live in a Heritage Homes 3 bed semi. I'm considering purchasing this type of property but would like to know what the cost implications would be for adding a fourth bedroom over the garage?

Also if there are any builders reading this that have carried out such an extension, what was the cost and also the timeframe for such a venture?

A) ask an architect

B) ask a builder

p.s. it would depend on the foundations under the garage.

The op asked a fairly simple question.

Does anyone who lives in a Dandara 3 bed semi with a garage, have first hand experience of costs and timescales to build above one?

They are all timber frame, with the same foundations, seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

I can see five from my lounge window which have been done, so any one of those people could answer his question fairly accurately. I guess through the island there are a lot more.

The ones I have watched from here they have even re used the existing roof. Take it off, raise the walls, refit the original garage tiles and joists. Externally it seems to be possible in about a week plus time to fit electrics, plumbing etc and plaster decorate. No work to foundations required.

Hopefully one of the many people who have done this will read your post and give you a useful answer. If they have done it themselves they should be able to give a very good idea of costs etc. I guess that's why they asked the question, in hope of a useful and friendly answer.

Edited by trmpton

I have a mate who did this if its any help and I think it was going to be around 30K back in 2004/5/6? anyway one thing I do remember about his job was that he was hit with a massive extra cost after the job had begun because there were all the houses gas, water and electric cables running at a 45 degree angle in the loft space above the garage all clipped to the roof trusses that were to be reused.

This small loft did not have a opening so the architect and the builder that priced it did not cost moving this lot and it was not a 5 min job to do it. If your house has its fuse board on the outside garage wall, its likely yours is the same. It would be very worthwhile cutting open the plasterboard on the garage ceiling to get the services checked for location

One last thing converting over a garage usually results in a very narrow odd shaped bedroom, and you then have to think about parking spaces if the occupants of the bedrooms could one day all be driving.

This small loft did not have a opening so the architect and the builder that priced it did not cost moving this lot and it was not a 5 min job to do it. If your house has its fuse board on the outside garage wall, its likely yours is the same. It would be very worthwhile cutting open the plasterboard on the garage ceiling to get the services checked for location.

Surely, if the fuse board is on the outside garage wall, the cables will obviously be in the attic space?

I had an extension over my garage consisting of a bathroom and a bedroom. Planning took about 2 months to get architect and draw and submit plans, and nearly three to get permission and for the appeal time limit to expire. Work took about 2 weeks to strip out existing roof, raise walls and reroof, ie to first fix and then another two for second fix.

Total cost with windows and second fix, but not bathroom fittings etc was £45,000. It would probably have been cheaper to sell and buy a 4 bedded house but hate moving and disruption. It added about £25,000 to house value.

Moving the electrics was not biggest internal job, that was plumbing, but our mains board was too sall and had to be replaced.

We are top end Vicarage Road and ours is block built.

We used our next door neighbour as the builder, he had just extended his. We had lots of other work done at same time, downstairs cloak was extended and shower installed, box bedroom integrated with 2nd bedroom and made into ensuite, attic fully insulated and Fakro skylights.. We are abouit to refit the kitchen and remove the wall between the utility and kitchen to give a larger dining kitchen

PM me for the builders details

PS you aren't considering next door at 15WBG? are you?

John, did the 45k include the extra works? We are considering a new extension, but when I saw your price I thought it seemed a bit steep, or my ideas are wildly inaccurate crying.gif . I was guessing from your timescale of 4 weeks and allowing for 5 guys at 1 grand each a week, gives 20k for labour. Bear in mind that the tiles and trusses are re-used, then that leaves 25k for other materials, architect etc. I must have gone wrong somewhere, but where?