Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

I'm continually tripping over the bottoms of me new trousers. And can't sew for toffee. Can anyone recommend a reasonable tailor or seamstress type of person in Douglas, ideally in town?

Thanks.

Can you not buy shorter trousers?

But seriously. I remember we used to be able to buy that "Iron in" hemming fabric stuff. My mum used to buy me trousers that were far to long, and hem them on the ironing board. After a year the bottom of my trousers looked like accordian bellows ermm.gif

• Like 1

Wear shorts.

I'm continually tripping over the bottoms of me new trousers. And can't sew for toffee. Can anyone recommend a reasonable tailor or seamstress type of person in Douglas, ideally in town?

Thanks.

Try the tailors on Bucks Road - near Newsbeat. They have a resident seamstress who did a good job on a dress for my daughter

...... And can't sew for toffee.....

Thanks.

This is a fascinating phrase. We all know what it means. But I wonder how it come about. Was toffee super expensive at one time or what?

Does anyone know without Googling it? I don't have a clue.

Help a man with his trousers?

*must get picture out of my mind*

Bucks Road, I would concur on that one.

So. Tweek needs a tweek.

At the bottom of the trousers Snowflake. Not the top thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

...... And can't sew for toffee.....

Thanks.

This is a fascinating phrase. We all know what it means. But I wonder how it come about. Was toffee super expensive at one time or what?

Does anyone know without Googling it? I don't have a clue.

I believe the people of NW England refer to sweets as toffees or at least that how was explained to me when I asked someone who said it. I believe that Everton are nicknamed as the toffees for the same reason, Everton mints - sweets- toffees.

A couple of safety pins, strategically placed at front and back of the trouser leg, is a temporary fix. You could always make it a feature and attach some bright and cheerful badges around the bottom of your trousers.

I have had alterations done by the lady in the little shop,next to the back of the Villa gardens in Derby road. She is very good. There is another on Derby Road on the corner to the top entrance to Derby Square.,

If you work in an office there's bound to be a handy stapler that will do the job quicker and cheaper than a seamstress.

If you work in an office there's bound to be a handy stapler that will do the job quicker and cheaper than a seamstress.

That's stealing!!

I remember using selotape to keep the massive hem up on my trousers cos I have little legs!

I believe the people of NW England refer to sweets as toffees or at least that how was explained to me when I asked someone who said it. I believe that Everton are nicknamed as the toffees for the same reason, Everton mints - sweets

I now live in Lancashire and it drives me nuts, all sweets including mints & fizzy sweets are called toffees!

That's stealing!!

Would it be stealing if they were work trousers, cos I spose I'd be bringing the staples back to work every day?