Avoid Cronk-Y-Voddy

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As stated by others....sensible people use one of the various options stated to avoid too much inconvenience. Having lived in the governers hill area for many years, during the three days a year (!!!)

Evil Goblin: You have no idea how tedious and insulting comments about 'flipping burgers' can be. When I was studying at uni I was perfectly happy to earn extra cash working in a burger bar - as were

The speed limits do require looking at all over the island as has been mentioned, there does seem to be some very strange anomalies.   70 has been mentioned again as a proposed limit on the mountain

At this time of year many motoring offences for which a local person not in TT time would be prosecuted for are overlooked. There are reasons for this, manpower being one of them. I do however think it is dangerous ground when driving is almost encouraged in the guise of tourism, which at any other time of the year would end up in court. I do not hold strong views either way about the TT itself but can see the sporting attraction, I remain to be convinced that we must put up with the lunatics who every year create misery for themselves and others.

• Like 1

Just had a thought, the government seem to like Consultations these days with the islands public, why dont they do one again about speed limits but expand it to cover locals worries about going about their daily business during the TT/MGP festival periods?

IIRC the last speed limit one only just failed to be implemented but stand to be corrected and expect abuse for suggesting it be raised again.

• Like 1

I really don't think a speed limit would help, after all if you are willing to ride in a way which risks your life or mobility or at the very least writing off your pride and joy then I doubt a fine & a few penalty points would be much of a deterrant.

A vast majority of bikers who come to the TT ride well & even some of the quicker ones ride within themselves & safely. There are the minority though who are just that way inclined & ride like absolute idiots. I don't think they are particularly encouraged here - unrestricted roads exist here despite the TT not because of it & as I have said are probably fairly irrelevant when it comes to the more serious accidents.

People who ride in a way that could cause a fatal accident are probably beyond control. Their time will come unless they are very lucky. It doesn't take all that much to kill you in a bike accident.

I don't know what the answer is - perhaps there isn't one - people die in traffic accidents the world over, every day - tragic I know but what can you do?

I understand what you are saying MB but doing nothing just seems wrong. I know you hold strong opinions on the speed limit debate and do know where you are coming from.

The increase in bad accidents during this period, for example, may well be just explained as the result of the increase in traffic numbers.

I would of thought strict speed limits and a shed load of temporary mobile speed cameras with, as mentioned previously by other posters, the crushing of bikes/cars as punishment might do something.

What about a "pay for entry" public event somewhere like Douglas beach to watch this crushing happening? Might not only save lives but also raise funds and we both know how important that is these days to the island. wink.png

I might be onto something here...............................

Destroying perfectly good motorcycles is a bad idea both environmentally & morally. I also think that milking of the TT for every penny it's worth has gone far enough & has not necessarily been for the good of the event.

Although a sweeping generalisation I think it is fair to say that a lot of the time the person riding like an idiot tends to come off the worst and quite often doesn't do too much damage (at least physically) to other people. This is not always the case, infact I can think of a few examples where completely innocent road users have been injured or killed during TT fortnight through no fault of their own, but I can think of many more who have had this happen outside of the festival, some of which were in countries with strict speed limits & speed cameras.

For the normal road user there is little to fear from using the roads during TT fortnight. If the slightly increased risk bothers you there are precautions you can take for example not driving the wrong way around the course.

Road travel is inherently dangerous, every time you use a public road there is a chance of injury or death, that's just a fact of life, you either accept the risks or don't use them. Obviously steps can and have been taken to allay these risks both on the IOM generally and at the TT & this should be and is an ongoing process.

There comes a point though when the idea of protecting people from themselves has to be seen for what it is - a vain attempt to make us feel better about something that is always going to happen whether we like it or not.

I understand what you are saying MB but doing nothing just seems wrong. I know you hold strong opinions on the speed limit debate and do know where you are coming from.

It would be relativly easy to greatly reduce or stop much of the bad riding. It is simply a question of tipping the risk reward ratio so that those tempted to be idiots no longer believe it is worth it. if for TT fortnight we brought in a 50 mph limit and anybody caught 10% over the speed limit, drink driving, dangeorous driving etc had a minimum six months in prison, vehicle forfeited, 6 year driving ban, life time driving ban in the IoM during the TT period etc and the majority would quickly stop. The risk of being caught is to high.

Now it will never happen as the changes requred are extreme and many would complain.

I would also suggest tht with regard to any changes those that are likely to be unaffected are probably ambivalent or in favour. Those who are anti generally are because they fear it will affect them. We are all guided to a certain extent by self interest

• Like 1

d) Even if blocked at the Dhoon there's always the MEA

Indeed ;-)

Darn, I meant MER. One's a tram system, the other a one-way trip to the bowls of Hell.

Does anyone actually know if speed was a factor in these incidents? Has this been stated at a coroners inquest?

You lot make so many assumptions. Sorry to say it but it's just simple bad luck - wrong place, wrong time. You don't have to be going fast to die - just get hit in the wrong place on your body by the wrong piece of road furniture, kerb edging, piece of bike etc etc and thats it - game over. Top of my head I can think of one very obvious bike fatality in the last five years which was sub 30mph (Peel road whilst roads were closed)

100mph + crashes are survivable provided nothing stops you whilst you are scrubbing energy off as you slide down the road - but put a car/wall etc there and it reduces your chances.

Bottom line is that one day every poster on this page will be dead - regardless of if there is a speed limit or not. Personally I'd rather live for 60 seconds on the knife's edge (and I'm not referring to speeding) than live for 60 years wrapped in cotton wool.

But then genetically I'm a hunter not a gatherer.

• Like 1

Does anyone actually know if speed was a factor in these incidents? Has this been stated at a coroners inquest?

You lot make so many assumptions. Sorry to say it but it's just simple bad luck - wrong place, wrong time. You don't have to be going fast to die - just get hit in the wrong place on your body by the wrong piece of road furniture, kerb edging, piece of bike etc etc and thats it - game over. Top of my head I can think of one very obvious bike fatality in the last five years which was sub 30mph (Peel road whilst roads were closed)

100mph + crashes are survivable provided nothing stops you whilst you are scrubbing energy off as you slide down the road - but put a car/wall etc there and it reduces your chances.

Bottom line is that one day every poster on this page will be dead - regardless of if there is a speed limit or not. Personally I'd rather live for 60 seconds on the knife's edge (and I'm not referring to speeding) than live for 60 years wrapped in cotton wool.

A hunter, wow, impressivewhatever.gif

• Like 1

I suggest you go and hunt for some brains then !

Oh look out - someone has a different opinion - it must be wrong. Lets insult them and perhaps they'll go away...

At the same time...

Seems to me it's a case of tempting fate. By travelling at 100mph+, a driver/rider obviously increases their chances of being, as you generalised, in the, ''wrong place, wrong time''. And the comparison that we're all going to die anyway is glib, as well as irrelevant, in this instance.

Just my humble opinion, don't feel insulted, an'that.

• Like 1

Oh look out - someone has a different opinion - it must be wrong. Lets insult them and perhaps they'll go away...

What do you expect with your pathetic 'I'm a hunter....' comment. Sounds like some of the deluded boasters in The Apprentice. Give me a Gatherer any day.