Street Angels Help Keep Douglas Town Centre Safe

How sad the world is when a group of people, who are willing to give up there free time so that other people can feel safer making their way around are maligned and called horrible names, no wonder the world is in the state it is. I think the youth of today are gravely misjudged by some of the contributors to this thread, when they are treated with politeness they respond with politeness, I come in contact with a lot of young people and I treat them with respect and get the same back. A friendly word is worth a good deal to some people and I think this project will be very successful I am sure none of the Angels will approach anyone or interfere when it is apparent their attention is unwelcome, that is why they are being trained.

Isn't this the job of our professional Law Enforcers?

Us Manx Taxpayers are paying a lot of money for the IOM Police to keep our streets safe, I would suggest you leave that professional job to them and not some interfering do good God lovers!!

Now praise the Lord for he is good! Hallelujah

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think some of you have got hold of the wrong end, of possibly the wrong, stick   These are not vigilantes enforcing law and order, so not competing with the police but trying to help and comfort t

Hope they provide a "Dog Turd Avoidance" service with a torch led conga-line through the mine-field, mean streets of Douglas.

As someone posted earlier, this leaves the door open for all manner of do-gooding by interested-parties. Symbolically, they are portraying themselves as the ''Good Samaritans'', just as those annoying

I predict that after a short period of media interest things will settle down to the status quo with no sign on the streets of any "angels" they will be hiding/observing in their Diahatsus or at home doing the paperwork.S What ever happened to the ones that worked the streets of London in the Eighties? Gurniad angels or summat ?

Edited by mollag

being chastened by someones granny isn't going to do squat for the small number of feral kids who wander the streets in douglas. You'd do better getting some [hell's] angel to give the parents a good talking to about parental responsibility - most of them couldn't give a sh*t about what their lttle darlings are up to when their sat in the pub or watching their 52" 3D TV in their council house.

At night the streets of Douglas can at times belong to the druggies, drunks and fucked up feral kids. I say that from the point of view of someone who quite often walks through the town after a bucket of beer on a Friday or Saturday night.

It is a welcome sight to see normal, decent and sober people about the place.

most of them couldn't give a sh*t about what their lttle darlings are up to when their sat in the pub or watching their 52" 3D TV in their council house.

That's a bit of a sterotypical view isn't it? Pond life and rebellious drinking teenagers come from all walks of life and estates these days, some with parents with quite responsible jobs from politicians to coppers.

I think some of you have got hold of the wrong end, of possibly the wrong, stick

These are not vigilantes enforcing law and order, so not competing with the police but trying to help and comfort the drunk, befuddled and confused or maybe the victims, maybe even get them home safely, which is not actually a police job. Not sure how much religion they will try and proselytize on the way. I think the aim is laudable but the risks far outweigh the benefits

• Like 4

Well said John for putting that straight.

Hmmm, perhaps I am one of the drunk, befuddled and confused, but they are a welcome sight.

If there is a risk involved - and I agree there clearly is - then isn't that such a poor reflection on our society. Anyone should be able to walk through our streets safely, at any time of day or night.

Edited by Theodolite
  • Like 2

But...they do badger people about God. It seems a very bizarre thing to get a stamp of approval from the police. I know it goes on other countries, but still it is bizarre.

I mean, what if these people were wicca, hindus, or raelions. I wouldn't think they would get the support, would they?

• Like 1

Who said they badger people about God, where has this idea come from, the Salvation Army used to visit all the pubs collecting for their cause and I have never heard them badgering people about God, also in the West End coming out from a show you see various organisations distributing soup etc., with not a mention of God. Why make these wild assumptions, I am a Christian and proud of it but I do not share my feelings with all and sundry just because people want to do good why are there always the sad, sadonic, crowd who jeer and mock.

• Like 2

This is nothing short of a gimmick by people who are naive about the real world and their belief that they can make a difference. And it will also be an excuse to ram the scriptures down people's drunken throats. Everything that's bad about religion...

I'm with HissingSid on this one - if people are prepared to give up their free time to try and make the streets of Douglas a friendlier and safer place, then why all this negativity? I wouldn't do it - so I admire those who, instead of just whining about how standards have dropped on the Island, actually get off their backsides and try to to something about it.

• Like 1