New Football Pitch For Onchan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It'll be a nice site for Heritage Homes in ~ 5 years.

A key difference with Laxey is they're ultimately in control of the pitch, its use and its ongoing maintenance. With the stadium, outside of Saturday afternoon - it's subject to Onchan Raceway (and th

Quirk is bought now.   He will vote in favour of Cinemanx

Posted Images

I'm not convinced that juniors need their own pitch - but, if the club can afford it without government or commissioners cash then fine.

The best example I'm aware of as regards a thriving junior football section is Laxey AFC - who year on year have success across the age groups. Ironically, they're little of a Laxey team, as their training and matches take place in Douglas. They've used junior subscriptions to hire the Bowl, which has become a success as it's helped to attract more players. It's a cost to the club - i.e. subs don't end up going into club profits, but it means a thriving youth section. Very rarely will a match take place on grass (other than away matches) or in Laxey.

This doesn't have to be the template, Onchan's could be fine as well - although my first comment is key.

Be fair, now. Quirky and other volunteers from the seniors give up a not unreasonable amount of their time for some of the kids of Onchan, especially sunday mornings, and have done for years. My kids grew up in Ballachrink and the junior football was always something they looked forward to with DQ and the lads giving training and advice. It is easy to say Quirky's sold out but what can any of us do? However much blather and protestation goes on over the decision-making of government, questioning their strategy gets us nowhere. As with CinemaNX, the deal's already done. Such is their way, we don't get a say and they get what they want.

All in all, this seems to be a positive move.

My kids grew up in Ballachrink and the junior football was always something they looked forward to with DQ and the lads giving training and advice.

Your kids and many others too. Peter Karran does the 'grannie farming', Quirkie does 'kiddie farmimg'. It is no coincidence that after years of rejection at the polls he eventually got elected when the 16 year-old vote came in.

I thought David Quirk had been involved with Onchan Football Club electioneering for years, so if he has, it's a bit unfair to say he has jumped on the bandwagon.

Post fixed.

David Quirk MHK might be a good guy for Onchan but he is a shit, shit national politician. Even on serious issues he won't give a flying fuck (ie has no understanding) about anyone or anything outside Onchan. Stupid but not that stupid to realise to keep in with the Council of Ministers as a yes man though.

Hmmm, malleable and foolish - he might be getting lined up for the Legislative Council.

Edited by Theodolite

I'm not convinced that juniors need their own pitch - but, if the club can afford it without government or commissioners cash then fine.

The best example I'm aware of as regards a thriving junior football section is Laxey AFC

This doesn't have to be the template, Onchan's could be fine as well - although my first comment is key.

A key difference with Laxey is they're ultimately in control of the pitch, its use and its ongoing maintenance. With the stadium, outside of Saturday afternoon - it's subject to Onchan Raceway (and the condition of the pitch) as to whether it can accommodate another game.

It's what in essence is a field, which will obviously be levelled out etc. If over the course of some years hundreds of kids can use and enjoy it - and it costs the Government\Rate-Payers no money, where's the problem? And to be fair to DQ, for years its been for votes (some say) however six years on, he's still there at every opportunity helping. As I said, politically, people have their own views - however - this genuinely isn't a political issue or point scoring exercise. If DQ wasn't in the paper, it would be someone else, perhaps a decorator, accountant etc.

Edited by joeyconcrete
  • Like 2

It's what in essence is a field, which will obviously be levelled out etc. If over the course of some years hundreds of kids can use and enjoy it - and it costs the Government\Rate-Payers no money, where's the problem? And to be fair to DQ, for years its been for votes however six years on, he's still there at every opportunity helping. As I said, politically, people have their own views - however - this genuinely isn't a political issue or point scoring exercise. If DQ wasn't in the paper, it would be someone else, perhaps a decorator, accountant etc.

My problem isn't with the club, it's with the misuse of the onchan stadium. Seems such a waste to go to all this effort when there's a perfectly good facility already with covered seating, facilities in a nice central onchan location.

Following the signing of the lease between the Comissioners and Onchan Raceway (stockcars), the football club is only allowed to use the Stadium between Sept and March and only on Saturday afternoons. The IOM football season currently runs from Aug to April and junior fixtures take place on Sunday, hence the need for another pitch. School pitches despite being effectively owned by the tax payers are controlled by the actual school who say whether they can be used or not, with not usually being the case.

My problem isn't with the club, it's with the misuse of the onchan stadium. Seems such a waste to go to all this effort when there's a perfectly good facility already with covered seating, facilities in a nice central onchan location.

And many would agree with that very sentiment. Its like I said - many avenues have been explored. The stadium is a great asset, and potentially a very good sporting venue, there's no question.

Edited by joeyconcrete

Not to mention the cost to hire out the pitch it is much more sensible for clubs to buy their own land . For people wanting a skate park write to the commisioners and put some ideas forward

Perhaps we could clear up a point you raised. Is onchan football club buying this government owned land and if so how much? These fields are the last vestige of green belt land between Onchan and Douglas. It is to be hoped the present tenants have a strong agricultural lease for a long period of time in order to preserve this area.

Not to mention the cost to hire out the pitch it is much more sensible for clubs to buy their own land . For people wanting a skate park write to the commisioners and put some ideas forward

Perhaps we could clear up a point you raised. Is onchan football club buying this government owned land and if so how much? These fields are the last vestige of green belt land between Onchan and Douglas. It is to be hoped the present tenants have a strong agricultural lease for a long period of time in order to preserve this area.

I really don't know I don't have anything to do with Onchan football club so don't know the in's and outs

I think David Quirk is a really pleasant fellow, piss poor politician, but credit where credit is due he has put some hours in regarding Onchan Football Club and I am delighted that they have got their own pitch, good luck to them, anything that keeps the kids off the street and gives them an interest, especially outdoors has got my vote, David never will, but that is another matter.