Public Photography, Jar Bar And The Police

hypersniper

Most licencees operate a 25 policy eh. When was the last time you were in a pub or club over here John. You can go into certain establishments and the majority look as though they should still be in school never mind a licensed venue

Maybe you are just getting old? (Don't take that the wrong way, I've been thinking the people in pubs/doctors/police etc, look far too young for ages now)

• Like 1

ahh but wing of the nut, as you know, as an ex DO, that is what is trained at the college, reccomended by the police acohol unit and what all DO's tell the licensing court they do/will operate

Can't argue with that John but you know as well as I do, the license trade is on its arse at the moment so all the promises by various clubs and pubs about not letting people under 21 in goes out the window. Not a lot of our age group enjoy a night out with drunken teenagers

Most licencees operate a 25 policy eh. When was the last time you were in a pub or club over here John. You can go into certain establishments and the majority look as though they should still be in school never mind a licensed venue

Maybe you are just getting old? (Don't take that the wrong way, I've been thinking the people in pubs/doctors/police etc, look far too young for ages now)

Do you mean "don't the police look young" syndrome thumbsup.gif

Mrs VB was in Ramsey in a gift shop called The Tide, she saw an item she thought her mum would like and decided to snap a picture with her phone to show her later.

The woman working there told her she couldn't take photos of anything in the shop and told her to delete it, she then stood there waiting for her to do so before letting her leave!

Mrs VB was in Ramsey in a gift shop called The Tide, she saw an item she thought her mum would like and decided to snap a picture with her phone to show her later.

The woman working there told her she couldn't take photos of anything in the shop and told her to delete it, she then stood there waiting for her to do so before letting her leave!

She was on private property so the shopkeeper was within her rights.

Saying that though, your missus should have asked if it was OK, that would have been the polite thing to do and also the shopkeeper should have been a bit more respectful to a potential customer.

One assumes that Mrs VB won't be spending her money there in future? Neither will I, or my wife...

I assume the shopkeeper is sick of paying rent, rates, staff, insurance, and buying stock in so that people can find something they like, then take a picture and buy it cheaper from the Internet.

Not saying they handled it correctly, or that that was the case in this instance, but I'd put money on that being the reason they don't like people taking pictures of the stock.

Edited by trmpton

She was on private property so the shopkeeper was within her rights.

Saying that though, your missus should have asked if it was OK, that would have been the polite thing to do and also the shopkeeper should have been a bit more respectful to a potential customer.

Sure, the shopkeeper was within her rights to ASK for the photo to be deleted. But only so much as I'm, on a whim allowed to ASK you to delete all the numbers on your phone. There was no legal requirement for the photo to be destroyed.

The shopkeeper was within her rights to ask the lady to leave. The shopkeeper was not within her rights to stop the lady leaving.

That shady Amadeus took a picture of me while I wasn't looking & he has put it on a web site, can I get royalties? smile.png

Sure you can - I give you 10% of every picture you buy of yourself wink.png

Now I'm wondering which picture, where and when...

As for photo stuff - never had a problem on manx soil. Some mixed experiences in the UK but the bad ones were always security and other hi-viz brigade people who have no clue about the law. Had a security guy run across the road once and 'demand' my name and that I delete the picture after I took a random pic of the street and the building he was 'guarding'. Needless to say it was a short conversation smile.png

Police on the other hand seem to be quite clued up these days - been stopped a couple of times when "Bored at the Airport" meant some random plane spotting landscape pictures presented a nice way to kill some time. Turns out being anywhere near a UK airport with anything that remotely resembles a camera instantly draws the fuzz to you like moths to light but on all occasions were they friendly, acted professionally and knew the law. Usually the maximum they do is ask to see the pictures and that's the end of it. They can't request you to delete any anyway - only a judge can order that. Handy to know, just in case you snapped a smoking bus driver dragging a drunk MHK out of a bus or something.*

*Just a random example.There is no proof any footage or pictures, taken by DSLR, mobile phone, video camera or otherwise of any event like this exists or has been circulated.