Tholtans

mollag

I seems i may well have been out of it when i came up with this "scheme".

Took good advice and e mailed planning today, i recieved a pleasant and prompt reply.

Good afternoon Mr Tobin,

I am terribly sorry, I have not come across this at all in the eleven years I have been with the Department. At the risk of ‘passing the buck’, it might be worth having a chat to Manx National Heritage, although I would be surprised if they are aware of anything.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen Moore R.I.B.A.

Building Conservation Officer

Oh well, gone gaga and not yet sixty, theres always the Keys i suppose!

Edited by mollag

Oh well, gone gaga and not yet sixty, theres always the Keys i suppose!

No, contact MNH, there could well be a scheme you don't know about.

Yeah, i reckon i will , i thanked Steven Moore for his prompt reply and he has responded that he too is intrigued and could i keep them informed if i progress, hmm might be worth talking to some politicos about maybe supporting a similar scheme.

I'd go to the bloody masons but me subs are due

Glad it was rejected. In my opinion, I think it is too risky to have people go and re-build these abandoned places that now sit in remote and picturesque areas. Part of the beauty of the area, for me, is the recognition that such places were lived in and the locality was farmed, but has been abandoned now.

And re-development can go SO wrong. I think it would be fine for some locations, as long as there are very strict conditions of what can and can't be done.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

Oh yes, it would have to be be as original as is feasible imho, no pvc fascias, no elctricity, no car ports, a lime mortar build. The reasoning for doing it should be for the finished original look and feel rather than just a weekend getaway, a concours d'elegance of Tholtans.

A series of holiday chalets would be a disaster.

But then they wouldn't be tholtans anymore. Just people's houses. And you wouldn't be able to go and see them to take enjoyment from the look of them in the countryside Nor would you want to because they wouldn't be tholtans anymore. The last thing, I think, we need is people living further up into the hills.

Must admit, I much prefer them as tholtans. There is one between the East Baldwin road and Abbeylands that has recently been renovated. It was a lovely building, quite intact, but now you can't get near the place thanks to fences, bushes and big gates. I do like the ones in the Sulby valley - you can sense the hard lives that people had from the ruins that are left.

But then they wouldn't be tholtans anymore. Just people's houses. And you wouldn't be able to go and see them to take enjoyment from the look of them in the countryside Nor would you want to because they wouldn't be tholtans anymore. The last thing, I think, we need is people living further up into the hills.

I kind of agree with you there. They were originally built for a purpose, as a remote farmhouse. That purpose is no longer relevant so they should be subject to the same planning regulations as anywhere else.

Must admit, I much prefer them as tholtans. There is one between the East Baldwin road and Abbeylands that has recently been renovated. It was a lovely building, quite intact, but now you can't get near the place thanks to fences, bushes and big gates. I do like the ones in the Sulby valley - you can sense the hard lives that people had from the ruins that are left.

That's Balliargey.