Roadworks Crosby To Ballacraine

I had to go to Peel today and noticed the long stretches being coated with chippings.The road did not seem to be in a bad state of repair prior to this and it must have been up to scratch to run the races. My gripe is that there are dozens of roads in urgent need of basic repairs to potholes and surfaces breaking up all over the island in much worse state than this stretch.

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to go to Peel today and noticed the long stretches being coated with chippings.The road did not seem to be in a bad state of repair prior to this and it must have been up to scratch to run the

Preventative maintenance, it's a good thing, no harm in people having a whine though eh.   They are also doing ballig into peel, which is not on the course, sorry if that messes up the conspiracy th

Things may seem a backward step, like the steam rollers replaced by smaller ones but have you thought that new types of rollers also have a vibration setting which actually produces more compaction th

Posted Images

A useful thread - if forum readers keep this updated. It could be called 'Chip Watch'. I won't be travelling on any roads which have recently been 'treated' as I have had too much damaged paintwork and several broken windscreens over the years from loose chippings flying up from under the wheels of oncoming traffic and hitting my car. I wouldn't mind if the chippings were fine enough and rolled in properly but the quantity used is often far too much for the job and then left for ordinary traffic to disperse. 21st century road mending on the Isle of Man.....?

A useful thread - if forum readers keep this updated. It could be called 'Chip Watch'. I won't be travelling on any roads which have recently been 'treated' as I have had too much damaged paintwork and several broken windscreens over the years from loose chippings flying up from under the wheels of oncoming traffic and hitting my car. I wouldn't mind if the chippings were fine enough and rolled in properly but the quantity used is often far too much for the job and then left for ordinary traffic to disperse. 21st century road mending on the Isle of Man.....?

Drivers not heeding the warning signs and driving faster than the temporary limit doesn't help either

The use of chippings is to prevent potholes and surfaces breaking up.

Preventative maintenance, it's a good thing, no harm in people having a whine though eh.

They are also doing ballig into peel, which is not on the course, sorry if that messes up the conspiracy theories

• Like 1

The use of chippings is to prevent potholes and surfaces breaking up.

Preventative maintenance, it's a good thing, no harm in people having a whine though eh.

They are also doing ballig into peel, which is not on the course, sorry if that messes up the conspiracy theories

So all that is wrong with the dozens of roads full of potholes is lack of preventative maintenance, I wonder how so many slipped through the net.

Regarding Peel to Ballig we will make some conspiracy theory up to cover this work .Entries on a postcard please.

Drivers not heeding the warning signs and driving faster than the temporary limit doesn't help either

Kevster I have to confess to having exceeded the limit when some eejit has raced up behind me at way over the limit and is threatening to overtake because I'm going at the prescribed speed limit through the chippings. I'd rather go faster and break his window than go slow and have him scour my car and then break my window. BTW if cars are coming the other way and he can't pass I stick to the limit and accelerate when the road ahead is clear.

The chipping are put Down in 2 stages, 10mm chipping first, followed by 6mm chipping, then rolled. It's what you call surface dressing, which in fact is to dress a road surface to prevent more damage, which I would say is more cost effective than ripping up and tarmacing that stretch of road.

The chipping are put Down in 2 stages, 10mm chipping first, followed by 6mm chipping, then rolled. It's what you call surface dressing, which in fact is to dress a road surface to prevent more damage, which I would say is more cost effective than ripping up and tarmacing that stretch of road.

They're buggered whatever they do...

Leave the road alone - people moan

Surface dressing - people moan

Rip up an re-tarmac - people moan

That's exactly what I was saying - the chippings are too big. And they are not properly rolled - otherwise there wouldn't be such a massive excess lying on the surface for ages afterwards - that's what does the damage to paintwork and glass.

They're buggered whatever they do...

Leave the road alone - people moan

Surface dressing - people moan

Rip up an re-tarmac - people moan

True kevster

Could you imagine closing peel road from the brown bobby to the qb for 10 weeks

That's exactly what I was saying - the chippings are too big. And they are not properly rolled - otherwise there wouldn't be such a massive excess lying on the surface for ages afterwards - that's what does the damage to paintwork and glass.

But there not too big, that's the size that is used not only here but the uk also. It's part of the process of surface dressing, but I know what your saying. If people keep to the speed limits showing and keep a fair distance then it can prevent damages to cars traveling on that stretch. As for not rolled properly I can say they are rolled properly.