Roadworks Crosby To Ballacraine

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to go to Peel today and noticed the long stretches being coated with chippings.The road did not seem to be in a bad state of repair prior to this and it must have been up to scratch to run the

Preventative maintenance, it's a good thing, no harm in people having a whine though eh.   They are also doing ballig into peel, which is not on the course, sorry if that messes up the conspiracy th

Things may seem a backward step, like the steam rollers replaced by smaller ones but have you thought that new types of rollers also have a vibration setting which actually produces more compaction th

Posted Images

The machinery parked up in the layby near the Highlander had L plates on them (no joke)

On the subject of the dust......I live on that stretch and the dust is going up high and far enough that it's coating everything in my back garden, but hey, not as if it doesn't rain now and again on the IOM shifty.gif

As for speed limits, go too fast, and you'll pay for it when you have to brake suddenly i would of thought.

whats all the fuss about not using steel steam rollers? they aint going to flat out a road covered with Chipping's. They are using purpose designed soft wheeled rollers to set the chipping's into a thin layer of tar.

• Like 1

Anybody seen any more chippings? I need to go from the west of the island to the airport today and to Douglas tomorrow, avoiding the loose chippings at all costs.

Just been on the Gov website to see if they have a list of roads to be done with chippings,NOTHING,so they are going to very secretive about this,because they need us to roll the stuff in seeing there is a lack of good old steam/diesel rollers which seal the chippings to the tar in a good level surface just like the way tarmac is,not rough ridges left by this stupid rubber wheeled toy.

Anybody seen any more chippings? I need to go from the west of the island to the airport today and to Douglas tomorrow, avoiding the loose chippings at all costs.

Just been on the Gov website to see if they have a list of roads to be done with chippings,NOTHING,so they are going to very secretive about this,because they need us to roll the stuff in seeing there is a lack of good old steam/diesel rollers which seal the chippings to the tar in a good level surface just like the way tarmac is,not rough ridges left by this stupid rubber wheeled toy.

Im starting to like your sence of humour for some strange reason. How about you send in a invoice for all the miles you've traveled over that stretch of road and see how ya get on

Do you honestly think about things like this before making a trip? Not taking the proverbial, just trying to understand the world we all live in and in particular, its inhabitants thought processes.

Heard on MR that the road in question was shut because of a RTA around Greeba on Monday, but heard no details. Was it linked to the roadworks/loose chipping?

Are you for real? they lay a liquid tar on the road, what exactly are you expecting a steel roller to do to the chipping? the chippings will follow whatever the surface is underneath, if its uneven, which lets face it most of the road getting chipped are, soft rollers are the option, the doi isnt short of steel rollers.

Do you honestly think about things like this before making a trip? Not taking the proverbial, just trying to understand the world we all live in and in particular, its inhabitants thought processes.

Sure I do. I have had too much paintwork and several windscreens damaged in the past due to loose chippings flying up. If I can avoid roads which have been treated (mistreated?) then I will. I like my nearly new car the way it is - why would I want to take unnecessary risks? If it was an old car I wouldn't bother - though I would stick to the speed limit while going through the chipped area to reduce the chances of damaging other vehicles.

Heard on MR that the road in question was shut because of a RTA around Greeba on Monday, but heard no details. Was it linked to the roadworks/loose chipping?

Nothing to do with the road works what so ever, I witnessed the crash, which did not happen on the chippings, involved a white transit tipper and a black bmw

Are you for real? they lay a liquid tar on the road, what exactly are you expecting a steel roller to do to the chipping? the chippings will follow whatever the surface is underneath, if its uneven, which lets face it most of the road getting chipped are, soft rollers are the option, the doi isnt short of steel rollers.

When you have worked doing the job,then you can speak with knowledge,the steel smooth surface of a steam/diesel roller has a wider area of coverage, if you look at the way they use diesel rollers on tarmac instead of the rubber wheel vehicle explains everything,that is why they have ridges and loose chippings,which are left and not swept up.

The road in question couldn't have been uneven,as there was racing on it not too long ago,remember this is the TT course not some side street,as in outside the Market Inn and Albert pubs,take a look at that road,take a brush with you and see how many chippings you sweep up,same with the Lord Street Car Park.

Edited by EORH

Secretive indeed! http://www.gov.im/lib/news/transport/highways/yearlyprogrammeo.xml

Secretive indeed! http://www.gov.im/li...yprogrammeo.xml

Now if we had dates for these I would know when to use an alternative route. So not much help to me.....