Roadworks Crosby To Ballacraine

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to go to Peel today and noticed the long stretches being coated with chippings.The road did not seem to be in a bad state of repair prior to this and it must have been up to scratch to run the

Preventative maintenance, it's a good thing, no harm in people having a whine though eh.   They are also doing ballig into peel, which is not on the course, sorry if that messes up the conspiracy th

Things may seem a backward step, like the steam rollers replaced by smaller ones but have you thought that new types of rollers also have a vibration setting which actually produces more compaction th

Posted Images

they be worse than that in autumn when the trees lose there leaves

Leaves come from the trees and it really can't be helped. The gravel shown in the picture filling the drain was caused by not covering the drain when the road was surfaced. No excuse for it really, it should have been covered. Lazy working practice.

• Like 1

they be worse than that in autumn when the trees lose there leaves

Leaves come from the trees and it really can't be helped. The gravel shown in the picture filling the drain was caused by not covering the drain when the road was surfaced. No excuse for it really, it should have been covered. Lazy working practice.

If the drain wasn't covered it would be covered in bitumin, more like rain water has done that. Shows how much you know!

That would be why more than half of the metal on the grid has chippings stuck to it?

Shows how much you know!

No because the wagon that goes along the road spraying the liquid bitumin uses the kerb as a marker so if the grid was sprayed it would be covered not half covered!

If the drain wasn't covered it would be covered in bitumin, more like rain water has done that. Shows how much you know!

The photo was taken before the rain. During the rain the water was flowing over the top and pooling in the road - as it was today with the run off from the fields. The drain is filled with gravel not just the grid. I've also got photos of signs blocking pavements and the tape used for masking rolled up and thrown in the hedges. I'm guessing you work for colas? If so you need to take a little pride in the job.

• Like 1

The photo was taken before the rain. During the rain the water was flowing over the top and pooling in the road - as it was today with the run off from the fields. The drain is filled with gravel not just the grid. I've also got photos of signs blocking pavements and the tape used for masking rolled up and thrown in the hedges. I'm guessing you work for colas? If so you need to take a little pride in the job.

I don't work for colas, but I did at one time work on the roads, not here but the uk! Now I see what there doing must days when I'm passing on my way to work. But if you are so keen as to go out and take pictures, and it bothers you that much why don't you take it up with them, with your so called evidence, surly your not just out taking pictures for an Internet forum? And for the record I drive the roads of the island day in and day out, and I'm not one bit happy with them, besides that there was a 5 % increase on road tax this year to go towards road works, so I like to see road works going on to see my money going somewhere

I don't work for colas, but I did at one time work on the roads, not here but the uk! Now I see what there doing must days when I'm passing on my way to work. But if you are so keen as to go out and take pictures, and it bothers you that much why don't you take it up with them, with your so called evidence, surly your not just out taking pictures for an Internet forum? And for the record I drive the roads of the island day in and day out, and I'm not one bit happy with them, besides that there was a 5 % increase on road tax this year to go towards road works, so I like to see road works going on to see my money going somewhere

I also like to see the roads being repaired but in a manner that's not going to leave bitumen all over my car or chipping the paint (yes, I drive very slowly through the areas being surfaced) The pictures were taken while out and about and are part the evidence for a complaint made to the DoI about the dangerous condition the roads were left in and the work being done - they are investigating.

Driving home tonight and I noticed long patches where the chippings haven't bonded to the bitumen, mainly on corners and a direct result of traffic travelling too fast and damaging a very fragile (when first layed) surface. I expect they will need to repair these sections before the white lines go down.

These area genuine technical questions for our experienced correspondent.

Considering the undulating condition of many of the Island's roads, can surface dressing be applied to gradually, over several applications, smooth out these considerable imperfections? In other words, is modern machinery sensitive enough to respond to varying levels and apply appropriate depths to even them out?

Or does repeatedly applying surface dressing simply emphasise or exaggerate the highs and lows?

Went along the road today around 2pm,wife said the full distance had piles of chippings in the gutter,why they wasted money,manpower and materials doing this to a good smooth road,when there are other major roads which need doing because of cracks and potholes.

There seems to be a mania for wasting money on this form of road maintenence,instead of using the proper stuff called tarmac,it's only chippings coated with bitumen kept heated and laid like a smooth carpet by Blowknox,rolled in with smooth steel diesel rollers,there is more safety with this method,and peoples vehicles are not damaged,if somebody went along the street and damaged a vehicle owned by the government,or even by anybody,the police would prosecute,so why not in this case?.