Mountain Watch

Mission

34 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I don’t think it will, especially when people know there just aren’t any Police on the roads, it doesn’t stop the  pointless overtakes at 8-9am or 5-5.30pm in which people gain about 8 places in the stream of cars, why is that even a thing? 

You could paint the road with double white lines the entire way but it wouldn’t stop overtakes.

Again it won't stop but it will reduce. I drive on rural roads in the UK where there are average speed cameras, often with 50 mph limits, and as Derek Flint has stated you do see far less idiotic driving and accidents have reduced. Initially idiots did go to other roads so either average speed cameras were introduced there or the police targeted.

I was across recently and driving on some of these roads I saw lots of bikers and now virtually all were in touring mode and I was no longer being over taken by idiots pushing it believing there would be no police around. It is also nice not to be faced by an idiot on the wrong side of the road on a corner because they are pushing it.

This is a matter where there is plenty of evidence from the UK and elsewhere as to whether average speed cameras and reduced speed limits reduce serious accidents. It is no longer a case of just thinking it will or won't make a difference. The evidence is out there.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Well in the case of regular patrolling I don’t just mean the mountain rd, there needs to be a higher police presence (and plenty of unmarked cars) all over the islands roads.

I wasa big advocate of unmarked cars, and bikes. I created that “The Force is Behind You” campaign we did a few years ago for TT, raising awareness of the use of unmarked bikes, and I brought I the two legendary ST Focus stealth bombers, which were fantastic enforcement tools.

I actually pitched an idea to make the entire traffic fleet unmarked, and then have a big PR campaign highlighting that any car behind you might in fact be driven by plod. I think it would have worked, but unsurprisingly too creative, too brave and too bold.

7 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I don’t think it will, especially when people know there just aren’t any Police on the roads, it doesn’t stop the  pointless overtakes at 8-9am or 5-5.30pm in which people gain about 8 places in the stream of cars, why is that even a thing? 

You could paint the road with double white lines the entire way but it wouldn’t stop overtakes.

No police on the roads. That rot started with Gary Roberts taking a sgt and 3 off me in 2006 to form a proactive unit to deal with crime in Douglas. 

Burglars don’t tend to kill and maim. But hey, there you go. I sincerely hope the new CC gets a proper grip of the issue as it doesn’t ever seem to get the support it needs as an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

No police on the roads. That rot started with Gary Roberts taking a sgt and 3 off me in 2006 to form a proactive unit to deal with crime in Douglas. 

Burglars don’t tend to kill and maim. But hey, there you go. I sincerely hope the new CC gets a proper grip of the issue as it doesn’t ever seem to get the support it needs as an issue.

I can see the logic in creating a proactive unit to deal with crime in Douglas but it obviously failed massively.

Half the island knew where the group of burglars were staying, shame the relationship with the police down south was so poor nobody wanted to mention it to them.

13 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I can see the logic in creating a proactive unit to deal with crime in Douglas but it obviously failed massively.

Half the island knew where the group of burglars were staying, shame the relationship with the police down south was so poor nobody wanted to mention it to them.

The burglary issue was long, long after that team had been absorbed into the HQ proactive unit whilst an under resourced RPU continued to do what it could in the absence of any strategy. I had huge hopes that the National Road Safety Strategy would move things forward, but it hasn’t. 

53 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wasa big advocate of unmarked cars, and bikes. I created that “The Force is Behind You” campaign we did a few years ago for TT, raising awareness of the use of unmarked bikes, and I brought I the two legendary ST Focus stealth bombers, which were fantastic enforcement tools.

I actually pitched an idea to make the entire traffic fleet unmarked, and then have a big PR campaign highlighting that any car behind you might in fact be driven by plod. I think it would have worked, but unsurprisingly too creative, too brave and too bold.

Is it the police that suggest speed limits on the roads or the DOI?.

To me it is pointless putting speed limits on the mountain road unless backed up with average speed cameras.

Does  anyone know the outcome of the serious accident which  happened near Gutheries on Monday? where the road was closed for several hours 

rumours abound  was it fatal? if so  what kind on vehicles were involved , 

why is information regarding RTC's being kept from the public , !

is anyone in government playing down serious road accidents  or whatever the police want to call them these days 

12 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Does  anyone know the outcome of the serious accident which  happened near Gutheries on Monday? where the road was closed for several hours 

is anyone in government playing down serious road accidents  or whatever the police want to call them these days 

There was another involving a bike and a car at Brandywell about a month ago that involved a lengthy road closure too, that one seemed to have slipped through the press net as well.

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

In any serious collision they contact the family first before making the details public, if someone is so critically ill/injured they’ve closed the road for 6+ hours it means the police are treating it as a fatal collision and will be doing their investigations into the collision. So in short either it’s not a fatal but injuries are serious/severe that the first 24-48hrs will be considered critical or they’ve been unable to contact the family.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

In any serious collision they contact the family first before making the details public, if someone is so critically ill/injured they’ve closed the road for 6+ hours it means the police are treating it as a fatal collision and will be doing their investigations into the collision. So in short either it’s not a fatal but injuries are serious/severe that the first 24-48hrs will be considered critical or they’ve been unable to contact the family.

Nearly but not quite.

I've reported that a collision has been a fatality from the scene. I will have deployed officers to contact NOK. Serious and fatal collisions are a matter of public interest as they have a stake in road safety and matters related to that which may also curtail their ability to use a route.

The name of the deceased will be released after liaison with the family - but a death is a matter of public record. 

I've had issues in the past with investigating officers unnecessarily delaying public updates. Failure to do.so undermines public confidence and gives rise to unhelpful speculation and conspiracy theories.

• Like 2

I remember an MHK (Annie Craine I think) saying that a road fatality costs @ £3M in public time and resources to attend, investigate, deal with and tie off, that was some time ago now too, it was part of the justification for the original Richmond Hill mods.

Meaning that the admin costs of one death would surely cover most of the infrastructure and equipment necessary to impose a restriction on the Mountain Rd?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The name of the deceased will be released after liaison with the family - but a death is a matter of public record. 

I've had issues in the past with investigating officers unnecessarily delaying public updates. Failure to do.so undermines public confidence and gives rise to unhelpful speculation and conspiracy theories.

We don’t tend to hear about the serious / critically injured RTCs though, unless they put out an appeal out for witnesses, whereas a fatality is normally reported fairly quickly.

The fact they haven’t put out any updates does unfortunately fuel the speculation, it sounds horrible to say it but when it’s closed for that length of time you do tend to expect to hear the worst.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I remember an MHK (Annie Craine I think) saying that a road fatality costs @ £3M in public time and resources to attend, investigate, deal with and tie off, that was some time ago now too, it was part of the justification for the original Richmond Hill mods.

Meaning that the admin costs of one death would surely cover most of the infrastructure and equipment necessary to impose a restriction on the Mountain Rd?

Unfortunately the Government doesn’t work like that, the 3m figure would be across multiple departments and in some way would involved a calculated cost to everyone who’s been held up or affected by the accident. Whether stuck in traffic or having 7 miles added on their journey, it’s effectively paying yourself compensation for time lost.

A speed camera installation would most likely fall directly to the DOI and would solely come out of their budget, so it wouldn’t happen, not unless some other new initiative was formed/agreed and it came out of that budget instead.

When we currently have Government departments billing other Government departments just so it isn’t coming out of their budget or in certain cases so it looks like profit is actually being made but is simply being lost elsewhere in another department, it’s going to go now where fast.