Mountain Watch

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I can choose not to carry a phone. Or to disable location services. But even if that weren't the case, that's not a valid reason not to resist yet another body collating huge swathes of information about me.

Every bit of automation creates more distracted drivers. People are impatient and get bored easily. Phones are addictive. 

Distracted drivers easily the biggest nuisance on our roads.  Way ahead of speeding.  The amount of people I see on phones worries me.  Especially van drivers and chav tractors drivers. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expect better from you on this. You like driving fast and think you should be allowed to go for it ‘if it’s safe for you’. So do I actually, but in an attempt to follow Spock’s principle that the need

During lockdown I didn’t mind the trip over the mountain at 40mph with no overtaking. It was quite relaxing and took perhaps 5 minutes longer than usual.    Now, if I come upon a lorry doing 40

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

One of my very favourite songs from my very favourite albums. Cheers ATP.  

Not sure if they'd get away with those lyrics these days. Classic album though. Bought that in Colebourne's in 1973, the year it was released. Great cover too.

• Like 1

Where that crash has happened, at the Douglas end of the mountain mile, there’s a left right kink in the road with adverse camber on the right hander. There’s also quite often a puddle at the side of the road which leaves the surrounding road wet. Not making excuses for the driver but it doesn’t help matters. 

1 minute ago, Terminal said:

Where that crash has happened, at the Douglas end of the mountain mile, there’s a left right kink in the road with adverse camber on the right hander. There’s also quite often a puddle at the side of the road which leaves the surrounding road wet. Not making excuses for the driver but it doesn’t help matters. 

You also have the issue when travelling to Ramsey of overtaking cars on the outside of the bend going to the left so it's difficult to see past things.  Dangerous spot that.  Always has been.

8 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Do we think a speed limit, of say 60, stops yesterday's accident?

no,  it would just add another charge to the prosecution of the driver.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, pongo said:

That was also one of the main arguments used against crash helmets and seat belts.

It's not about people's rights to drive fast on main roads (as opposed to on private property). It's about the rights of the people who have to co-exist with them.

A big issue every day on the mountain is those men who overtake a few cars at a time, cutting into the braking distance between cars and causing the people they have passed to then need to brake. Perhaps because they are habitually late.

I see those types all the time too but I don't think they are late more likely they are very small in the trouser snake department and try and make up by driving like fools that they think will impresses the ladies..............

• Like 1