Mountain Watch

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

"Most" people in any group you want to define don't have accidents, clearly. Most people who drive quicker than average don't have accidents. And the majority of accidents happen within the speed limit.

The standard of driving is shocking. I'm not suggesting everyone should be a getaway driver, and I think you know that. It is easier to argue against a strawman, of course.

There are plenty of places that road conditions, weather conditions or vehicle conditions make doing the speed limit unsafe. Driving lessons teach you to pass your test, and nothing else. The driving test checks that you can operate the controls and follow road signs, and not much else. There ought to be training about vehicle maintenance, assessment of road conditions and how they affect vehicle behaviour, and a compulsory number of hours driver training.

I wouldn't rise too much to the patronising stuff.

Most accidents are concentration errors. Not speed.  I'd rather see cameras in cars monitoring people's behaviour whilst driving.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expect better from you on this. You like driving fast and think you should be allowed to go for it ‘if it’s safe for you’. So do I actually, but in an attempt to follow Spock’s principle that the need

During lockdown I didn’t mind the trip over the mountain at 40mph with no overtaking. It was quite relaxing and took perhaps 5 minutes longer than usual.    Now, if I come upon a lorry doing 40

As someone who has dealt with hundreds of traffic accidents on the island, many of them of a serious nature and a good few fatal I can assure you that the first thing is always to protect the scene. T

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

haha no. Really not.

And certainly not the CBDCs which are quickly going to coming on stream. They will have tracking build straight into the protocols. Why wouldn't they?

You don't think bitcoin gives you more privacy than a debit card? 

Clearly I don't mean bank operated digital currencies. 

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There ought to be training about vehicle maintenance, assessment of road conditions and how they affect vehicle behaviour, and a compulsory number of hours driver training.

With technology you can program in variable limits according to weather conditions.

People shouldn't need to know how to maintain a car (unless it happens to be their "hobby"). It's a job for professionals.

Just now, pongo said:

With technology you can program in variable limits according to weather conditions.

People shouldn't need to know how to maintain a car (unless it happens to be their "hobby"). It's a job for professionals.

Software that has to make nuanced decisions is well known for working well of course. 

I'm not suggesting people should be replacing their own brakes (again, as you're likely well aware). But if you can't ensure your tyre pressures are within spec, that your tyres have enough tread, that your oil, coolant and washer levels are appropriate and be aware of what would indicate a need to go to a garage, you shouldn't be driving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's human nature to want to go faster.

When you're a young lad particularly It's an easy trap to fall into. We've probably mostly all done it.

Comparing it to sexual inadequacy seems slightly creepy as far as i can see.

Ok pee wee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You don't think bitcoin gives you more privacy than a debit card? 

Mostly no. Anyhow - it's an asset class today. So comparing it with a pament method probably doesn't work. CBDCs will be different again - they will be designed around being payment methods. 

Every Bitcoin transaction is trackable forever. Even where people go to extremes to mix multiple transfers though it will take longer. The exchanges are required to divulge the sources of original funding via KYC legislation - so most transactions can also be traced back - ultimately to an original source of funding.

Even if you perhaps originally mined it - most likely at some point one of your public keys (no doubt connectable back to some or ultimately all of your others) will have been used in some transaction which de-cloaked you. It really only takes one.

The transparency of Bitcoin is part of what is so great about it. Criminals really aren't going to be able to feel safe using it.

Edited by pongo
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, pongo said:

Mostly no. Anyhow - it's an asset class today. So comparing it with a pament method probably doesn;'t work. CBDCs will be different again.

Every Bitcoin transaction is trackable forever. Even where people go to extremes to mix multiple transfers though it will take longer. The exchanges are required to divulge the sources of original funding via KYC legislation - so most transactions can also be traced back to an original source of funding.

Even if you perhaps originally mined it - most likely at some point one of your public keys (no doubt connectable back to some or ultimately all of your others) will have been used in some transaction which de-cloaked you. It really only takes one.

The transparency of Bitcoin is part of what is so great about it. Criminals really aren't going to be able to feel safe using it.

You can trace a particular transaction all the way back to the person who originally put the "real" money into an Exchange all you want, good luck proving beyond reasonable doubt that it's the same person.

1. You put money into an exchange, send money from your bitcoin wallet to mine, I buy drugs with it.

2. You put money into an exchange, send money from your bitcoin wallet to another of your bitcoin wallets, you buy drugs with it.

Spot the difference in the transaction logs.

8 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I must say I'm not really comfortable with the cops 'ran out of talent' angle. It's a bit stupid really. 

I see they've ran out of talent and deleted their tweet. 

IMG-5995.jpg

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, HeliX said:

1. You put money into an exchange, send money from your bitcoin wallet to mine, I buy drugs with it.

2. You put money into an exchange, send money from your bitcoin wallet to another of your bitcoin wallets, you buy drugs with it.

Think about how conventional AML legislation works. It would be useless if you could realistically disown money back beyond a couple of transfers.

Also realistically, you are not going to KYC with multiple exchanges. Your argument might work if you once only bought a bit of weed. But if it's something you like to do from time to time then you are going to start creating patterns. And realistically you are not going to get yourself KYCed with an infinite number of exchanges. Because there aren't that many.

Also, one of these days, you get careless and use one of those public wallet addresses again for something else.

Not that I think anyone much cares enough about you buying a bit of weed.

Also: transaction logs ... lol!

Edited by pongo
  • Confused 1

Think about how conventional AML legislation works. It would be useless if you could realistically disown money back beyond a couple of transfers.

Also realistically, you are not going to KYC with multiple exchanges. Your argument might work if you once only bought a bit of weed. But if it's something you like to do from time to time then you are going to start creating patterns. And realistically you are not going to get yourself KYCed with an infinite number of exchanges. Because there aren't that many.

Also, one of these days, you get careless and use one of those public wallet addresses again for something else.

Not that I think anyone much cares enough about you buying a bit of weed.

Also: transaction logs ... lol!

You can link anyone who's ever added money via an exchange to all manner of illicit activity if you're willing to chain long enough. It's not viable. Like I said, it's reasonable doubt. Which is all that's required. Unless you're on the jury, apparently.

To get back to the point, any scenario where huge amounts of data (times, locations, activities) of citizens who are under no suspicion whatsoever is being logged ought to be resisted. Including car black boxes.

31 minutes ago, HeliX said:

People are VERY welcome to put some bitcoins in my wallet and I'll buy some drugs with them. Want the address?