Mountain Watch

Just now, TheTeapot said:

People are VERY welcome to put some bitcoins in my wallet and I'll buy some drugs with them. Want the address?

I would've done, but now there's the threat that pongo will hold me legally culpable for your purchases I'm not going to.

Cheers pongo. Fun sponge.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expect better from you on this. You like driving fast and think you should be allowed to go for it ‘if it’s safe for you’. So do I actually, but in an attempt to follow Spock’s principle that the need

During lockdown I didn’t mind the trip over the mountain at 40mph with no overtaking. It was quite relaxing and took perhaps 5 minutes longer than usual.    Now, if I come upon a lorry doing 40

As someone who has dealt with hundreds of traffic accidents on the island, many of them of a serious nature and a good few fatal I can assure you that the first thing is always to protect the scene. T

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

There's always a choice. Even if it involves not buying a car made after 2022.

More involved lessons and harder tests are still the answer in my view. It would also reduce ALL causes of accident. 

Agree, but that is a 20year project. We need to deal with the low hanging fruit

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It'd be over half done if it had been started the first time I mentioned it on here!!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Isn't the biggest issue not speed but concentration? So many accidents are being caused by people looking at phones etc.  

Using your phone while driving should just be a licence ban. There's absolutely nothing that can't wait either the 20minutes it takes to get wherever you're going, or the 2minutes it takes to find a suitable spot to stop.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I'm part of the way there. I have the right engine. Has the rest of the guff though.

I'd love to have time and space to rebuild something like an old Fastback.

But the point of note is. There’s a classic movement. You don't need to adopt the new technology as its introduced to monitor you. More and more there will be a downshift to block it out. Just about the best rally season was 85/86 not an in car tracker in place. People will just start buying stuff you can’t trace. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

To get back to the point, any scenario where huge amounts of data (times, locations, activities) of citizens who are under no suspicion whatsoever is being logged ought to be resisted. Including car black boxes.

And yet here you are!

(Sorry couldn't resist).

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But the point of note is. There’s a classic movement. You don't need to adopt the new technology as its introduced to monitor you. More and more there will be a downshift to block it out. Just about the best rally season was 85/86 not an in car tracker in place. 

Group B Quattro - now there's a car that would increase the accident rate.

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I would've done, but now there's the threat that pongo will hold me legally culpable for your purchases I'm not going to.

Cheers pongo. Fun sponge.

GODDAMN IT PONGO!!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It needn't be. And speed limiters will be the same or longer, just look at how many 10-20 year old cars are still in use on the island,  especially with our relatively low mileage. 

Driver training and regular assessment would be the most effective way to reduce accidents. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But the point of note is. There’s a classic movement. You don't need to adopt the new technology as its introduced to monitor you. More and more there will be a downshift to block it out. Just about the best rally season was 85/86 not an in car tracker in place. People will just start buying stuff you can’t trace. 

That'll be me.:thumbsup:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You can link anyone who's ever added money via an exchange to all manner of illicit activity if you're willing to chain long enough.

You'd waste a huge amount on transaction fees trying to hide behind multiple transfers. Maybe if you're some Mr Big and money is no object. If you are regularly buying Bitcoin on an exchange then the fact that you send it each time to a different public address simply makes it obvious that each of those public addresses are the same person.

And here's another thing - ever fewer people are using Bitcoin to purchase goods and services today. Today it's much more about its value as an asset class.

---

I've no issue with cars restricting people's speed. I also don't worry about carrying a phone which tracks where I am.

• Confused 1
12 hours ago, HeliX said:

More involved lessons and harder tests are still the answer in my view. It would also reduce ALL causes of accident. 

it has nothing to do with the tests,  everybody that crashes with speed involved  wasn't driving like that when they passed the their tests,  you can't exceed 50mph while you are learning.   passing a test doesn't stop you being a knob the next day.

• Like 3