Mountain Watch

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expect better from you on this. You like driving fast and think you should be allowed to go for it ‘if it’s safe for you’. So do I actually, but in an attempt to follow Spock’s principle that the need

During lockdown I didn’t mind the trip over the mountain at 40mph with no overtaking. It was quite relaxing and took perhaps 5 minutes longer than usual.    Now, if I come upon a lorry doing 40

As someone who has dealt with hundreds of traffic accidents on the island, many of them of a serious nature and a good few fatal I can assure you that the first thing is always to protect the scene. T

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

As Pongo alluded to, those halfwits overtaking 5 cars and not thinking that one day one of those cars is going to move out in front of them are deluded in the extreme.

Legally that would be the fault of the car that moves out. Not that fault is of any particular use if you're in hospital.

A bugbear of mine on all the islands roads, but particularly the mountain road, is the apparent inability of people to leave a reasonable gap between their vehicle and the car they are following. It is frustrating to be stuck behind a large queue who are being held up by Ms Daisy travelling at 35mph. Quite rightly nobody is going to attempt the five plus car overtake, but with a little consideration by all, small, safe overtakes would be an option.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Most crashes aren't to do with speeding. 

That's a bit disingenuous. Irrespective of the cause speed is often a factor in the severity of an accident and reduces the time available to take action and avoid an accident.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Legally that would be the fault of the car that moves out. Not that fault is of any particular use if you're in hospital.

Exactly. It's not enough just to be not at fault. You are relying on luck too much 

Edited by the stinking enigma
8 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's a bit disingenuous. Irrespective of the cause speed is often a factor in the severity of an accident and reduces the time available to take action and avoid an accident.

To clarify, by "speeding" I mean exceeding the speed limit.

Helix seems to be suggesting that if all drivers took an advanced driving test and were taught fast driving skills; that we could all be more aware, attentive and safe, with fewer accidents, while driving at high speed.

I think he's living in the imaginary world inside his own head rather than the real world where all types of motorists in all sorts of vehicles are just simply trying to get from A to B. The law should protect and be for the majority, not the selfish minority who want their freedom at the expense of the freedom of the ordinary motorist.   

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Helix seems to be suggesting that if all drivers took an advanced driving test and were taught fast driving skills; that we could all be more aware, attentive and safe, with fewer accidents, while driving at high speed.

I think he's living in the imaginary world inside his own head rather than the real world where all types of motorists in all sorts of vehicles are just simply trying to get from A to B. The law should protect and be for the majority, not the selfish minority who want their freedom at the expense of the freedom of the ordinary motorist.   

Find anywhere I said the bold bit. Are you seriously disputing the rest of that sentence? That a driver with better training would likely be a better driver?

50 minutes ago, HeliX said:

To clarify, by "speeding" I mean exceeding the speed limit.

In the case of the Mountain Rd it's people exceeding their own abilities.

15 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

You are @TweetBeatIOM

No I'm not, Slinky honest :lol:. But with no effective speed limit up there, the limit becomes people's own abilities. The vast majority drive within their own.

Unfortunately there are also a number who don't, either because they don't know or choose to ignore in the name of testosterone or whatever.

What other reason is there?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

No I'm not, Slinky honest :lol:. But with no effective speed limit up there, the limit becomes people's own abilities. The vast majority drive within their own.

Unfortunately there are also a number who don't, either because they don't know or choose to ignore in the name of testosterone or whatever.

What other reason is there?

One of the main reasons isn’t huge speeds.

When you actually look at some of the accidents up there you wonder how they've happened.  Those sort of things are likely to be people texting or looking at their phone. Loads of it happening.