Mountain Watch

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

That is what SHOULD happen. But it doesn’t here. 

Taking the A18 out of the equation , there is no way on gods earth you would derestricted a large number of roads over here if you were applying an evidence-based approach.

Nobody’s ever derestricted a road here - the original status of all roads here was derestricted; same too in the UK. The IOM however is far slower to bring restrictions in - the old joke about not liking change applies. Same with the TT. If it were to be suggested today, as a new idea, there’s no way it’d happen. But since we’ve got it we’re stuck with it. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expect better from you on this. You like driving fast and think you should be allowed to go for it ‘if it’s safe for you’. So do I actually, but in an attempt to follow Spock’s principle that the need

During lockdown I didn’t mind the trip over the mountain at 40mph with no overtaking. It was quite relaxing and took perhaps 5 minutes longer than usual.    Now, if I come upon a lorry doing 40

As someone who has dealt with hundreds of traffic accidents on the island, many of them of a serious nature and a good few fatal I can assure you that the first thing is always to protect the scene. T

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Nobody’s ever derestricted a road here - the original status of all roads here was derestricted; same too in the UK. The IOM however is far slower to bring restrictions in - the old joke about not liking change applies. Same with the TT. If it were to be suggested today, as a new idea, there’s no way it’d happen. But since we’ve got it we’re stuck with it. 

For now.

Health and Safety plus Insurance will probably put a stop to it.  This Bray Hill case will ramp up the premiums and really that is just waiting to happen again with muliltiple fatalities.

On 10/18/2020 at 11:51 AM, HeliX said:

I can choose not to carry a phone. Or to disable location services. But even if that weren't the case, that's not a valid reason not to resist yet another body collating huge swathes of information about me.

Every bit of automation creates more distracted drivers. People are impatient and get bored easily. Phones are addictive. 

I’m not addicted to my phone. Why would you be?

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Lots of people are though to be fair. I actually saw a woman walk into a lamppost the other day as she was glued to her phone while walking! 

It's no surprise, Facebook/Twitter/various other platforms all hire psychologists with the purpose of making their platform mentally addictive. It works.

Just now, HeliX said:

It's no surprise, Facebook/Twitter/various other platforms all hire psychologists with the purpose of making their platform mentally addictive. It works.

Watch The Great Hack and The Social Dilemma on Netflix.  Scary stuff.

No wonder you get so many mental Angry from Onchans across so many sites.:o

• Like 1
7 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Someone I know passed recently so I asked him. He said it was around 45 minutes.

Pretty sure it depends how  soon all the tested manoeuvres are completed . Varies from 30 mins to an hour.

12 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Lots of people are though to be fair. I actually saw a woman walk into a lamppost the other day as she was glued to her phone while walking! 

A lot of mostly younger people also increasingly use a phone as a 'social shield' to lock out unwanted contact and communication with insignificant others. You particulary see it on trains and in public spaces, but also in families. People are choosing to be locked into their own goldfish bowl worlds. Phones are part of their identity and who they are. It's becoming a real problem for necessary social interaction, social cohesion, and the unwritten rules and behaviour that we expect of others.

There's obviously a huge knock-on effect for driver behaviour too, that we ignore at everyone's risk. Somebody driving at 100mph plus, with a camera phone recording it, is a reality that we're not addressing here.  

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Watch The Great Hack and The Social Dilemma on Netflix.  Scary stuff.

No wonder you get so many mental Angry from Onchans across so many sites.:o

They have a head start...everyone in Onchan is angry. 

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

People are choosing to be locked into their own goldfish bowl worlds.

I always have a little laugh when I see couples on social media saying happy birthday/anniversary to each other (usually with firstname and surname, weirdos.).

You woke up next to this person, say it to their face FFS! :D

giphy.gif

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There's obviously a huge knock-on effect for driver behaviour too, that we ignore at everyone's risk. Somebody driving at 100mph plus, with a camera phone recording it, is a reality that we're not addressing here.  

I don't doubt that it's happened, but if you're looking for mobile phone users you're more likely to find them in town, or pootling about crossing the centreline while replying to texts.

That silly woman who walked into the fountain was probably driving a car five minutes before that happened. She might well have got behind the wheel again five minutes after her unscheduled bath. These are the sort of people we're dealing with here Helix. This is the great unwashed washed public who every day get behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Yet you argue against comprehensive speed limits. The rest of the world gets it but the Isle of Man doesn't. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That silly woman who walked into the fountain was probably driving a car five minutes before that happened. She might well have got behind the wheel again five minutes after her unscheduled bath. These are the sort of people we're dealing with here Helix. This is the great unwashed washed public who every day get behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Yet you argue against comprehensive speed limits. The rest of the world gets it but the Isle of Man doesn't. 

I don't think the data supports the need for an overall limit (outside of TT week). I certainly don't think the data supports the notion that mobile phone users crashes would be prevented by a speed limit.