Dissolution Of Parliament.

There are alot of people on here who are not happy with the way the island is being run and the utter contempt our elected and unelected politicians treat the electorate.The way the ministerial system has evolved and the way policy and decisions involving many millions of pounds can be made behind closed doors to be put through on a nod as everyone is on the gravy train.

Is there a procedure available to the electorate if enough were dissatisfied with the government part way through a term of office to have it dissolved, say by a petition, rather than hanging them from the street lights. The thing is can we afford to have these in charge fo another three years or would the apathy of the electorate put the same old faces back in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mal IMO reform of parliament is more important than dissolution. I notice for example that even basic changes such as Freedom of Information are once again dragging heels.   I have a radical view th

Given we are only 9 months into a 5 year HoK and we have a government of all the talents/national unity and there has been no motion of no confidence passed on what basis would the Lord of Mann's repr

It is not even that bad on the island it you step back and think about it. Why is everyone upset with the current bunch? Mainly because they have had to introduce CUTS, something the island should of

I seem to remember another small island north of here a few years ago deciding that they'd had enough of their corrupt waste of space government so they took the power back and got rid of them, to be replaced by the people instead. If the island wants to look anywhere for inspiration they could do a lot worse than take a leaf out of the Icelandic model.

Mal IMO reform of parliament is more important than dissolution. I notice for example that even basic changes such as Freedom of Information are once again dragging heels.

I have a radical view that I admit is not supported by many at all.

IMO there is a majoe mismatch, which is growing, between the advancing communications technology and the rigid and antiquated form of 'representative democracy' that exists. The IOM as a very small legislature is ideally placed to conduct experiments in modernising democratic processes but I doubt much will happen due to the vested interests of the political sub-class and the fact that from the Chief Minister down they are not visionaries but parish pump politicians.

In consequence of the mismatch I feel we are seeing growing use of social media. Many people want to contribute ideas but don't want to be 9-5 politicians. What is more they also want their 'representative' to actually consult with them and to take account of the inputs from consultation so that representation is not a once in 5 years event.

Dissolving Tynwald - even if it was possible - would not fix these issues. Growing signs of unrest may. But for political systems to change history indicates that things usually have to get ugly first.

• Like 2

Mal IMO reform of parliament is more important than dissolution. I notice for example that even basic changes such as Freedom of Information are once again dragging heels.

I have a radical view that I admit is not supported by many at all.

IMO there is a major mismatch, which is growing, between the rapidly advancing communications technology and the rigid and antiquated form of 'representative democracy' that exists. The IOM as a very small legislature is ideally placed to conduct experiments in modernising democratic processes but I doubt much will happen due to the vested interests of the political sub-class and the fact that from the Chief Minister down they are not visionaries but parish pump politicians. Even a simple thing like MHK and MLC email addresses is a pig's breakfast despite this being a good 25 years into the 'communications revolution'.

In consequence of the mismatch I feel we are seeing growing use of social media to comment on political matters - but equally this increases frustration as it does not change anything. Many people want to contribute ideas but don't want to be 9-5 politicians. What is more they also want their 'representative' to actually consult with them and to take account of the inputs from consultation so that representation is not a once in 5 years event.

Dissolving Tynwald - even if it was possible - would not fix these issues. Growing signs of unrest may. But for political systems to change history indicates that things usually have to get ugly first.

Maybe an unending bombardment of both MHKs and MLCs from a wide cross section of the population would have some effect but there seems to be little energy to do that.

Edited by manshimajin

Is there a procedure available to the electorate if enough were dissatisfied with the government part way through a term of office to have it dissolved,

I think you would have to appeal to the UK as the Sovereign Power ultimately responsible for the good governance of the Island to step in and take over.

Calling Barrie!

Is there a procedure available to the electorate if enough were dissatisfied with the government part way through a term of office to have it dissolved,

I think you would have to appeal to the UK as the Sovereign Power ultimately responsible for the good governance of the Island to step in and take over.

Calling Barrie!

Being run by Whitehall or continuing with the useless shower we have now?? I don't know what is worse.....

There are alot of people on here who are not happy with the way the island is being run and the utter contempt our elected and unelected politicians treat the electorate.The way the ministerial system has evolved and the way policy and decisions involving many millions of pounds can be made behind closed doors to be put through on a nod as everyone is on the gravy train.

Is there a procedure available to the electorate if enough were dissatisfied with the government part way through a term of office to have it dissolved, say by a petition, rather than hanging them from the street lights. The thing is can we afford to have these in charge fo another three years or would the apathy of the electorate put the same old faces back in.

There are also a lot of people who couldn't be arsed to go and vote when they had the chance to try and make a change. There are also those who shout loud on here how things should be done but don't have the balls to stand for election.

Yes, I believe it is referred to as a revolution. Good luck.

Yes it is and it's needed and well overdue.

I have been doing some window shopping on eBay and i think that we could pull it off.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a1d349bb9

All we need is a few angry sympathetic backers and problem solved.

Edited by hboy
  • Like 1

Yes, I believe it is referred to as a revolution. Good luck.

Yes it is and it's needed and well overdue.

I have been doing some window shopping on eBay and i think that we could pull it off.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a1d349bb9

All we need is a few angry sympathetic backers and problem solved.

Nice one - here's to the People's Republic of Man

There are also a lot of people who couldn't be arsed to go and vote when they had the chance to try and make a change. There are also those who shout loud on here how things should be done but don't have the balls to stand for election.

True. At what point do the Range Rover brigade decide they want to get politically active??

100 years ago, when the Governor ran the Island, he had the power to dissolve parliament. Not sure about now.

The time will come when we will be calling for Westminster to take us over as a county of UK. That may be no bad thing.

However, corruption, true corruption, on this island runs deep - from the courts through to the health services. Westminster would need to carry out one helluva rout before it would touch us with a shitty bargepole, so maybe we will remain 'independent' for evermore

Edited by carbon selector

The Island has been internally self-governing and financing and sorting out its own problems for so long now and with a continuous parliament such that the UK would not have constitutional grounds to interfere unless things were so bad that they resembled Greece or even worse.

The UK is ultimately responsible for good governance but only if there were to be some sort of collapse or break down in governance or civil law and order or outrageous corruption.

The Island is far from breakdown and it does have a functioning democracy and it is not the UK's problem if the people are apathetic about voting.

Even if you did have the worst government possible provided the Civil Service held up and the trains as it were ran on time then the UK could not and would not intervene directly......

It might creep up in the dark and breathe down a few necks and scare people into resigning as in the case of a former Chief Minister!...

There is some precedent such as the Prime Minister Harold Wilson in 1967 under Operation Sheepskin” sending 300 troops plus police to the Island of Anguilla, which declaring itself independent from federation from the Islands of St Kitts and Nevis, had burnt down Government House.

Anyone see the columns of people bearing torches advancing up Glencrutchery Road? On the other hand Sam Barks could lead the way reprising a part from Les Miserables!

Likewise there was the breakdown in Northern Ireland in the late 1960s such that the civil power requested military assistance, and which military response is binding by law I believe as compulsory "aid to the civil power" ....but that applies equally to local councils coping with floods, bin-men strikes and foot and mouth as well as governments collapsing.

I think that the most recent case of the UK intervening for the sake of "good governance" was in the Turks and Caicos Islands three or so years back.

Not only did the Island's British Governor assume direct control but a temporary administration was sent out from the UK to straighten out the administration, sort out corruption and get the finances back in order.

The Island is far from that bad and the Lt Governor and his "oppo" the Chief Secretary "our man/person in Mann" have no need to call for direct intervention although I suppose as the Island pays into the defence budget the Lt Governor could call for aid to the civil power in extremis.

At the end of the day your are on your own because that is the way you increasingly wanted it post-1945.......Or that's the way Charlie Kerruish wanted it anyway....Enjoy!

100 years ago, when the Governor ran the Island, he had the power to dissolve parliament. Not sure about now.

The time will come when we will be calling for Westminster to take us over as a county of UK. That may be no bad thing.

However, corruption, true corruption, on this island runs deep - from the courts through to the health services. Westminster would need to carry out one helluva rout before it would touch us with a shitty bargepole, so maybe we will remain 'independent' for evermore

Naive fool!

• Like 1