Soaring Welfare Bills "not Sustainable" - National Debate On Social Policy

most countries don't have a nationalised health service (including Jersey and Guernsey) or social beneifts?

I do not have any figures for this but have heard it reported that national private health has a tendency to increase the cost of treatments since these costs end up being loaded on insurance companies and therefore ultimately their customers. Also - that insurance funded private national schemes, for the same reasons, have a tendency towards over prescribing.

A whole govt for less than 100,000 people is inevitably going to be relatively a very expensive luxury. I am surprised that we pay less rather than more tax than people in the UK.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"I have said a number of times that personally I believe that those who can financially afford to look after themselves should not get state aid"   My problem with this comment is that my mother, wh

I have absolutely no problem with the idea of making sure abusers of any system are dealt with. But does this really need public consultation or does it require Ministers to make sure that the Departm

This is a prime example of the public being given an important issue to think about and make comment but not being given enough figures/facts to make informed comment.   I would imagine that Chris R

It's been done by treasury for a while now, doesn't stop what I said happens happening. They still have departmental representatives on the tender committee & in atleast one case I know off they had a contractor on the tender committee as well.! Christ alone knows what the justification for that was.

Ten years ago before setting up in business I'd have agreed with you that corruption doesn't exist in government purchasing. It may still not, but I could quote you endless examples of government spending where they have taken a more expensive, lesser quality option and ignored other options, the only common factor seeming to be that the money goes to a very small group of "special" companies, regardless of cost or quality.

I can honestly say I have not seen what you describe happening but I dont doubt what you say. It probably does happen but again, I dont think it would be because of corruption, well not corruption in the sense of gov employees financially benefiting.

Could it be that it is simply a result of this island being so small and as they say, everyone either knowing or being related to one and other? Human nature will tend to see someone you know being given the nod over a stranger in all walks of life, would it not? That is how the Masons seem to function and that may be involved too?

Only solution I can think of MB is for us to import at least 100,000 new residents. That may ensure not everyone knew each other, well for a few years anyway! Then we do the same again.................thumbsup.gif

I think that's it in a nutshell, as you say nothing particularly sinister about it, but it still leads to a waste or public money & is far from a fair system as far as suppliers are concerned.

I think your solution would work - but I think it would be necessary to remove all existing residents before importing the 100,000 & then remove them before importing the next lot etc. Could be an interesting social experiment, TV documentary rights alone could fill the vat black hole.

I think your solution would work - but I think it would be necessary to remove all existing residents before importing the 100,000 & then remove them before importing the next lot etc. Could be an interesting social experiment, TV documentary rights alone could fill the vat black hole.

Unlikely to work. They already tried 'Town Swap' with Foxdale and Royston Vasey.

Unlikely to work. They already tried 'Town Swap' with Foxdale and Royston Vasey.

Yes. Royston Vasey appealed to the European Court of Human Rights citing "cruel and unusual punishment" and the swap was reversed by court order.

Housing abuse must be ended says Manx Labour Party

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/housing-abuse-must-be-ended-says-manx-labour-party-1-4676397?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=iomtoday

A STRONGER stance should be taken against tenants who abuse local authority housing.

That’s the view of David Cretney MHK, Manx Labour Party secretary, in his party’s submission to the consultation over the government’s review on public sector housing.

The public consultation outlines a range of options, including the introduction of means testing, to tackle the growing £7 million deficit in public sector housing.

I have absolutely no problem with the idea of making sure abusers of any system are dealt with. But does this really need public consultation or does it require Ministers to make sure that the Departments they are responsible for get their act in order?

I suspect that the old 80:20 rule applies here - 20% of effort would deliver 80% of required outcomes. Extract digit and take action.

At the same time I find it 'ironic' that Ministers can get in high dudgeon about the costs of the welfare system but do SFA about the cost of our oversized political system and that they have been saying for 5 years that the size of the public sector must be reduced but have been dithering about doing anything for that period.

• Like 3

Astonishing that Cretney has only raised his concerns about this now.

He has had numerous terms in Govt and must have known years ago that the system needed an overhaul.

The fact that he said nothing till now suggests to me that he is not fit for purpose,though I guess he has been treading on egg shells and not wishing to alienate himself from the large number of voters who occupy social housing in his constituency.

I don't agree with Robertshaw on every point, but in his defense he has always stated this issue to be one of his major concerns,and needing urgent attention, since he first proposed himself as a MHK.

The rest of them have just buried their heads in the sand for many years.