Glad,

The Combined Cycle Gas Turbine Plant at Pulrose Power Station has over recent weeks been undergoing routine maintenance. Part of that maintenance includes the Steam Turbine, which as a result, requires the MEA to undertake a “Steam Blow” at the Station.

A “Steam Blow” is a process that ensures all debris from the works is blasted out of the pipes within the steam systems therefore preventing damage to the turbine blades. Although silencers will be fitted for the “Steam Blow”, there will be a significant noise in addition to clouds of steam in the surrounding areas of the station, namely the Bowl Ground, Pulrose Bridge and Middle River.

The tests are due to take place during week commencing 8 October 2012 at some point between the hours of 8am and 6pm with an estimated completion of 4-5 days

• Like 1
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hopefully it'll pour into the shop.

Only a Fool Breaks the Two Second Rule. Double that in the wet.   Or drive up the arse of the car in front, aquaplane in a bend and break hard in standing water?

Ramsey?   sorry

Posted Images

About 11.30pm, the Old Castletown Rd is still closed from Douglas end,the flooding has all gone and there is a large road sweeper on Lea Terrace clearing up sludge& debris.

Over at Tesco there is still quite a lot of standing water down the far end of car park,and the river level is really high and fast flowing.

Some photos on Manx Radio Facebook site of the floods.

Link below

https://www.facebook...09919708&type=1

Typical, I leave for two minutes and all hell breaks loose! smile.png

They do know a thing or two about flooding here, too, though. I do trust everyone will be at work on time in the morning? If these guys can, then so can you!

564819_407971302609842_1595953606_n.jpg

About 11.30pm, the Old Castletown Rd is still closed from Douglas end,the flooding has all gone and there is a large road sweeper on Lea Terrace clearing up sludge& debris.

Over at Tesco there is still quite a lot of standing water down the far end of car park,and the river level is really high and fast flowing.

Anyone have any photos of Leigh terrace during the floods?

The bottom end of Tesco's car park is about a foot deep,with water coming up out of the Manhole covers.

this excerpt from wiki about Douglas railway station is relevant background about the Tesco site:-

The station is sited on an area known as Lake Road (although technically this was lost during the more recent developments), so-called because the area was, until the arrival of the railway, swampland that was reclaimed to build the station other developments. The river now runs along the southerly side of the site. Where now stands the chain store was once a large timber yard operated for many years by Quiggin & Co.

What was going on at the power station? It looked like a huge plume of smoke, but when we got nearer it seemed to be steam. Could it be that it was flooding?

Glad,

The Combined Cycle Gas Turbine Plant at Pulrose Power Station has over recent weeks been undergoing routine maintenance. Part of that maintenance includes the Steam Turbine, which as a result, requires the MEA to undertake a “Steam Blow” at the Station.

A “Steam Blow” is a process that ensures all debris from the works is blasted out of the pipes within the steam systems therefore preventing damage to the turbine blades. Although silencers will be fitted for the “Steam Blow”, there will be a significant noise in addition to clouds of steam in the surrounding areas of the station, namely the Bowl Ground, Pulrose Bridge and Middle River.

The tests are due to take place during week commencing 8 October 2012 at some point between the hours of 8am and 6pm with an estimated completion of 4-5 days

Fire at power station

• 2 months later...

Take care as there are floods in many places today and especially on "improved" roads.

The gullies that haven't been cleared in years are causing many of the problems..........but why bother with a stitch in time?

There is a greater problem with standing water today as there are fewer speeding buses to whoosh it over the hedge.

Edited by Fossils

Any pictures of this epic flooding that the island is experiencing?

According to a police report I read, ALL of the islands roads were flooded (all but the one I am looking at right now that is, oh and the roads I used to get to work lol). Ramsey is brightening up now, it's much lighter outside.

Did the apocalypse come a day late - I never had flooding down in my top ten - I bet that Noah is laughing now...