• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hopefully it'll pour into the shop.

Only a Fool Breaks the Two Second Rule. Double that in the wet.   Or drive up the arse of the car in front, aquaplane in a bend and break hard in standing water?

Ramsey?   sorry

Posted Images

Much of the flooding was avoidable and was caused by poor maintenance.

I know of a number of surface water gullies or grids that have not been cleared of silt and leaves within the last two years or more. I also know of a few that have not been cleared of surface-dressing chippings, and several that have been re-surfaced over.

Basic maintenance is being neglected and basic drainage appears to have been forgotten about in most of the recent "Improvement Schemes."

• Like 2

I know of a number of surface water gullies or grids that have not been cleared of silt and leaves within the last two years or more. I also know of a few that have not been cleared of surface-dressing chippings, and several that have been re-surfaced over.

Basic maintenance is being neglected and basic drainage appears to have been forgotten about in most of the recent "Improvement Schemes."

Absolute Bullshit Fossils

This has been the most rain that the UK and the IOM has virtually ever seen for many, many years, coupled with already saturated land, nobody could ever avoid this, it's nature at it's worst.

Just for the record I have no connection with the DOI and never will have.

Maybe you need to have a look at some of the UK news websites to see that they are also experiencing freak weather conditions, are you going to blame the lack of maintenance there as well.

Get real man!!

• Like 1

This has been the most rain that the UK and the IOM has virtually ever seen for many, many years, coupled with already saturated land, nobody could ever avoid this, it's nature at it's worst.

Maybe you need to have a look at some of the UK news websites to see that they are also experiencing freak weather conditions, are you going to blame the lack of maintenance there as well.

Get real man!!

Open your eyes. This was taken before any of this year's torrential rain arrived. There were dozens (very conservative estimate although just for the record I have no connection with the DOI and never will have) of blocked gullies on the Island's roads and streets.

210385.jpeg

Edited by Fossils

Get real man!!

Leigh Terrace was closed most of the day, Lake Road was under water as well. Both are ABOVE and RIGHT NEXT to a fucking river. The MAIN issue is that the DoI do NOT fit STORM DRAINS in key places (like there USED to be from Victorian times, remember the long slots in the pavements running directly into the river?).

Now, some wise arse will say "oh no, you cannot have road water running into the river, it contains....yadda yadda yadda waffle waffle waffle".

Bollocks, and shit in the water sits on the surface, so as the water rose at Leigh Terrace, all the shit went over the pavement and into the river anyway.

Piss poor road design from the underground up, they have ditched negative camber roads so now the water sits right across the road instead of running to the sides, the old drains have been crushed by countless schemes, and all the natural drainage has been tarmaced over.

Lake Road, Leigh Terrace, Ballacottier Roundabout, Richmond Hill, Kewaigue Dip are ALL Above rivers/streams and with just a LITTLE thought should NEVER flood (unless the river rises past that point, in which case we are all screwed anyway).

• Like 1

Lake Road, Leigh Terrace, Ballacottier Roundabout, Richmond Hill, Kewaigue Dip are ALL Above rivers/streams and with just a LITTLE thought should NEVER flood (unless the river rises past that point, in which case we are all screwed anyway).

Wasn't part of the problem due to the fact that rivers WERE bursting their banks?

Silverburn River was one.

The flooding at Tesco happens when the river tries to find its own level - there may be a retaining wall, but that's not very effective when water comes up through the grids!

This has been an exceptionally bad year for rainfall. How many times in the last 100+ years have the railways had to be closed because of flooding? This year we had a bad landslip on the MER at Ballabeg (the repair seems to have survived the latest downpours), but I can't remember anything else much before.