It's all graphically explained here http://www.thaivisa....inbow-folklore/ It's quite obviously Taiwanese!

I live in the environs of Udon Thani; have for the past five years,, and have recently come across a piece of Thai folklore which I find very strange.

Now this may sound like something cooked up by a bunch of drunken farangs late at night at the bar, but I swear this comes from a number of Thai wives married to farangs.

OK, the folklore is this – if you point your finger at a rainbow it is very bad luck and the only way to alleviate the bad luck is to stick your finger up your backside.

I told you it sounds like a drunken farang makeup. Moreover, my Thai wife says it is rubbish.

Anyone heard of this before? No one seems to know the origin of this piece of folklore.

Maybe it is something unique to our village or are the locals trying to wind me up?

Edited by Addie

What did you think of Country File tonight.I thought it showed the island in a good light and John Craven was very enthusiastic about the place reliving his youth. Not the usual cranks they tend to drag out.

What did you think of Country File tonight.I thought it showed the island in a good light and John Craven was very enthusiastic about the place reliving his youth. Not the usual cranks they tend to drag out.

...no Tony Brown, can only help to increase visitor numbers.

The total abscence of time servers was refreshing and the repeated comments about the diversity of scenery, of wildlife etc... gave IMO a very good impression of the place.