Doi To Push On With Douglas Prom Work

Lisenchuk

Stuart,I think the wear and tear on the track that you mention is probably overstated,the horse trams are only a glorified boggy car towed by a horse at perhaps 3 miles per hour.

There is no motive power transmitted through the wheels so no frictional forces are involved.

I can't remember any time when the horse tram tracks needed replacement through wear and tear, how old are the tracks that are currently in use?.

They would be more likely to suffer degradation as a result of corrosion from salt spray than actual use.

Wear and tear increases around sections like points - at current most of the crossovers have been elminated (if you look at the sections where they were on the promyou will notice most of them don't actually connect fully to the track - it's only at each end and in the yard at Derby Castle where any substantial pointwork still exists.). I haven't got access to the books or in a position to do the research but I would hazard a guess that it was the 30's as that's when the last major set of works was done on the prom. In addition single track is more dangerous for shared use with pedestrians as it makes it less predictable to work out where the tram is coming from on which line (as you don't know which side of the loop the tram behind you will end up on - whereas with Double track it's left hand running as per the road and so more logical.

Maybe at the moment there might be no motive power transmitted through the wheels but let's say if the Electric Tramway plan ever became reality....

As I've said before if you're going to put the trams in a reservation then it should be on the landside rather than the seaward one. If the route was to substantially change I'd suggest a landward reservation from Derby Castle to the Villa, then through Strand and Duke Street to the Harbour as this is where the main body of modern passenger traffic is located. Get rid of the parking bays on the prom too. We shouldn't be encouraging people to use cars, it's time to make it more convenient to use the alternatives instead.

Edited by StuartT

As I've said before if you're going to put the trams in a reservation then it should be on the landside rather than the seaward one. If the route was to substantially change I'd suggest a landward reservation from Derby Castle to the Villa, then through Strand and Duke Street to the Harbour as this is where the main body of modern passenger traffic is located.

Interesting routing suggested. How about double track Derby Castle to the Villa then loop of single track along Market Street, through new Lower Douglas development and then single track back along Prom. I heard rumour that current proposal was to finish tram at Regent Street or something though.

I made personal submission to Lower Douglas Master Plan planning consultation that at least the following should be included in requirements for Lower Douglas site in plan:

1. Siting and specifications for a high quality public transport interchange and facilities, and routing of trams and buses in connection with this interchange;

2. Route of the long-proposed cycleway (between existing cycleways at Quarterbridge and on the Promenade) through North Quay, Lord Street, Middlemarch and Parade Street sites) and associated specifications;

3. Minimum and maximum number of car parking spaces to be provided in Lord Street, Parade Street and Middlemarch sites, and encouragement for co-ordinated provision.

Get rid of the parking bays on the prom too. We shouldn't be encouraging people to use cars, it's time to make it more convenient to use the alternatives instead.

Once the "alternatives" are in and running, then get rid of some parking places..... However, at the moment, people feel the need to be able to park in town. I don't live on or near a bus route, I don't live near an electric or steam railway track and I don't live near the horse tram! There is no pay or display coming in from the north, and why should I pay to park my car and then pay to get a bus into town, when I can park for 2 hours on the prom for free??

about 75 years from the 1860's to the 1930's as they extended the prom and widened it between 1860 and 1935 (answer to question how long did the Victorians take to build the promenade)

No it never. It took several decades for the prom to develop in its various forms, particularily with new hotels etc but the ashphalt road took just a few months including the sub structure. Also, did you know that around the same time the mountain railway was built to the summit from Laxey. This took just 9 months!

The government makes a shitload of money on fuel duty - there is already a large disincentive to using cars. And - just a thought - how about government just gets out of the way and lets people behave in the way THEY wish

Ah but which "people"?

Edited by paswt

Don't build rails at all. Save a load of cash, keep the horses in jobs.

30jlg5k.jpg

I do like this SD, as it's versatile, allows the operator some freedom of movement to move round stationary vehicles, doesn't need rails that can be dangerous to cycle/motorbike riders and must easily reduce the cost of tarmacking the road.

It's a win win for me, but would this be considered a cheapskate way of doing things that demeans the traditional means of transport for the tourist industry? Ripping up rails that are used by the horse trams could be seen by some as an attack on our traditional way of life?

Thoughts?

If you're going to change to that, why not change to having no horsetrams instead? Are we retaining the heritage of the word 'horsetram' or the actual vehicles and track they use? The latter I would suggest.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

If you're going to change to that, why not change to having no horsetrams instead? Are we retaining the heritage of the word 'horsetram' or the actual vehicles and track they use? The latter I would suggest.

My picture was initially in jest. I prefer option 2 - no horse trams at all. Sorted, next...

My picture was initially in jest. I prefer option 2 - no horse trams at all. Sorted, next...

Though what about prisoners, welfare cheats, smokers, dog owners, cyclists or [insert people you don't like] pulling trams in penance?