Doi To Push On With Douglas Prom Work

Lisenchuk

Electrical battery vehicles are nowhere near the stage where they can compete with tramways for running duration & speed combined, and its mainly in rail mounted transport where the best innovations in electrical traction have been made. In addition what exactly are you going to be driving these vehicles upon?...I'm curious when oil runs out how you propose to maintain the roads?.....At least rails can be cut down, welded to form reusable lengths and then the rest melted down and rerolled

Nothing is affecting my cognitive abilities. At least I can consider the options other than the highly innefficient motorcar. Are you unable to read to understand the issues with battery powered technology as compared to mains fed?....

Edited by StuartT

Whats the problem with the horse trams? only time they shouldn't be running is rush hour.

Well, my problem with the horse trams is that they lose money, year on year and are an out-dated, albeit quaint, form of transport, rush-hour or not. Who uses them? Tourists we don't have anymore? Back in the day, they were usually full of happy, smiling holidaymakers. I haven't seen one, in years, full to capacity.

So get rid.

Cars (a mode of transport belonging to the 1950's and 60's - most modern cities are turning to alternative options such as tramways and railways - the Isle of Man and many of it's inhabitants are just typically behind the times as always not seeing the merits of such systems) are filled to far less capacity than horsetrams and their occupants are rarely smiling.... more like time to get rid of the motorcars particularily as providing the expensive infrastructure for the fuel wasting luxuries cost far more than any other part of the Island's expenditure. Those of you who are too lazy to walk or cycle can use a railway system once the infrastructure has been invested in....

But the reality is that there'll be no investment in a practicable railway infrastructure. Not one that services the needs of the majority. Unlike cars and, dare i say, buses. As for the steam railway, i couldn't give two hoots that it attracts 'enthusiasts' who apparently add to our economy. In real terms, it's still a money-pit. Give it over to the said 'enthusiasts' and then see how long it lasts.

Same goes for the MER, the Snaefell run being the exception....

Best suggestion yet, give the whole system to the enthusiasts like StuartT and let them run it, no subsidies they have to make the fares they get cover the actual running costs.

See how long they keep everything open then, I would guess that it would become a weekend railway and then, with no staff costs it might generate enough money to cover maintenance of items that cant be fixed like the very rusty cable columns you see.

This may be a bit of a shock to some but we need to all get our heads around the fact that the island is skint, using reserves that will run out PDQ and then what? Cut pensions to keep an unused railway going, because its "nice to have" We really are in deep trouble and the sooner people accept that the better.

Whats the problem with the horse trams? only time they shouldn't be running is rush hour.

Well, my problem with the horse trams is that they lose money, year on year and are an out-dated, albeit quaint, form of transport, rush-hour or not. Who uses them? Tourists we don't have anymore? Back in the day, they were usually full of happy, smiling holidaymakers. I haven't seen one, in years, full to capacity.

So get rid.

Cars (a mode of transport belonging to the 1950's and 60's - most modern cities are turning to alternative options such as tramways and railways - the Isle of Man and many of it's inhabitants are just typically behind the times as always not seeing the merits of such systems) are filled to far less capacity than horsetrams and their occupants are rarely smiling.... more like time to get rid of the motorcars particularily as providing the expensive infrastructure for the fuel wasting luxuries cost far more than any other part of the Island's expenditure. Those of you who are too lazy to walk or cycle can use a railway system once the infrastructure has been invested in....

But the reality is that there'll be no investment in a practicable railway infrastructure. Not one that services the needs of the majority. Unlike cars and, dare i say, buses. As for the steam railway, i couldn't give two hoots that it attracts 'enthusiasts' who apparently add to our economy. In real terms, it's still a money-pit. Give it over to the said 'enthusiasts' and then see how long it lasts.

Same goes for the MER, the Snaefell run being the exception....

Best suggestion yet, give the whole system to the enthusiasts like StuartT and let them run it, no subsidies they have to make the fares they get cover the actual running costs.

See how long they keep everything open then, I would guess that it would become a weekend railway and then, with no staff costs it might generate enough money to cover maintenance of items that cant be fixed like the very rusty cable columns you see.

This may be a bit of a shock to some but we need to all get our heads around the fact that the island is skint, using reserves that will run out PDQ and then what? Cut pensions to keep an unused railway going, because its "nice to have" We really are in deep trouble and the sooner people accept that the better.

So what you're actually saying is that you're in favour of increasing unemployment by getting rid of a skilled workforce to try and 'save' pensions which will inevitably get cut anyway for some other reason. And increasing unemployment stimulates the economy exactly how?.......

So what you're actually saying is that you're in favour of increasing unemployment by getting rid of a skilled workforce to try and 'save' pensions which will inevitably get cut anyway for some other reason. And increasing unemployment stimulates the economy exactly how?.......

Skilled workforce? That would be the workforce that took 2 years to paint one carriage, hardly skilled. If there are any properly skilled people down there, they will get other work, there is always work for good people.

Pouring money into the trains is not stimulating the economy either, it would be far better to use that money to say, develop a small estate of industrial units with rents that are affordable for start up enterprises as just one example.

Electrical battery vehicles are nowhere near the stage where they can compete with tramways for running duration & speed combined, and its mainly in rail mounted transport where the best innovations in electrical traction have been made. In addition what exactly are you going to be driving these vehicles upon?...I'm curious when oil runs out how you propose to maintain the roads?.....At least rails can be cut down, welded to form reusable lengths and then the rest melted down and rerolled

Nothing is affecting my cognitive abilities. At least I can consider the options other than the highly innefficient motorcar. Are you unable to read to understand the issues with battery powered technology as compared to mains fed?....

At least I can consider the options other than the highly innefficient motorcar.

Really?,on another thread(Queens Pier) your hailing the virtues of steam trains as an effective method of transport,you couldn't get a less efficient and more polluting form of transport than external combustion steam trains.

Are you unable to read to understand the issues with battery powered technology as compared to mains fed?....

No,I read it well enough to know that horse trams and steam trains with interconnecting bus links are never going to be a viable solution for the Islands commuter requirements,and also that the technology for storing electrical energy has advanced well beyond the limitations of conventional battery technology and continues to do so.

What I am really getting at is that the future and the technology that belongs there is in front of us,not a century behind as you seem to favour.

Edited by Lisenchuk
  • Like 1

So get rid.

Cars are filled to far less capacity than horsetrams and their occupants are rarely smiling.... more like time to get rid of the motorcars particularily as providing the expensive infrastructure for the fuel wasting luxuries cost far more than any other part of the Island's expenditure. Those of you who are too lazy to walk or cycle can use a railway system once the infrastructure has been invested in....

I heard they have yellow submarines in La La Land too - is it true?

If you think people are going to drive a car from home for 10 mins, wait 10mins for a train, travel 30 mins on a train, hop on a horsetram, hop on a bus for 10 mins, then walk 10 mins in the pissing rain to work, then do it all in reverse with a bag of shopping at night - you need your bumps felt mate.

Will never happen. Uneconomic, unrealistic, unnecessary, unnatural, unneeded and the costs are unnumerable - to save and achieve WHAT?

Getting you fat f@ckers out of your car, utilising the infrastructures already in place and saving the NHS a fortune from having to treat you because of your lack of exercise because you're so damn lazy that you can't walk a little bit.

I ain't no fat fucker and i get plenty of exercise. (My waist size hasn't changed in 30 years!) To defend your skewed reasoning by resorting to general insults just shows the fragility of that reasoning.

Its all in the Jeans I guess.biggrin.png

• Like 1

The trains & trams are huge attractions for what remains of the tourist trade

But in real terms, the trams (horse and electric) and the trains, no longer make a profit. Neither will they any time soon so why continue to throw money at them if we're entering a phase of austerity? Manx society will not suffer their loss in the long-run, we have to prioritise our expenditure if we're to maintain any kind of essential structure and to continue to subsidise these ''huge attractions'' is pure folly. A ''huge attraction'' to very few interested parties. I'm saying now, fuck the heritage thing, it's the future, not the past we need to be looking toward. Leave all of that to the enthusiasts and harkers who care not about our changing-times and endear to these useless bastions of a bygone and defunct era. That fucking pier included....

Who gives a shit what StuartT wants? Most people want to go from A to B in their cars, not to wait 40 minutes for the steam train to come along. Hop into car, and away you go. Couldn't be easier

I see where you're coming from Mr T, but there's got to be a limit of how many vehicles travel along the prom at some stage or another and who knows, maybe ST's thoughts of rail or other larger vehicles using the prom isn't so far fetched as we all seem to make out because if the travel is faster on a rail/bus/whatever link than stationary cars, more would use it. I suppose it could end up like Blackpool with their tram system?