Whats On The Prom,jubilee Lock End.

Doing something like this for Christmas would be great, they would have to find an indoor venue.

HTH - We got there at about 10.45am and they were prepping and starting to cook then, so pretty fresh smile.png

In the Market Hall would be a good venue for Christmas.

The popularity of the preserved foods,such as Salamis,cheeses,etc.does suggest that a good delicatessen would do well in Douglas.

• Like 3
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's sanctioned by DDP and Douglas Corp ( with the organisers, not the corpy or DDP, bearing all the costs ) one would assume that the required permits to trade are in order.   Why do some people

In the Market Hall would be a good venue for Christmas. The popularity of the preserved foods,such as Salamis,cheeses,etc.does suggest that a good delicatessen would do well in Douglas.

It's a 'European' food and craft market, you know, stalls from the continent that have been brought over. I get plenty of manx produce from all the manx food markets during the year, but it's nice to

Doing something like this for Christmas would be great, they would have to find an indoor venue.

HTH - We got there at about 10.45am and they were prepping and starting to cook then, so pretty fresh smile.png

Freshly prepared sure, I really meant the ingredients could they have been sourced locally, if not, some/most/all could not have arrived fresh from Europe, I guess it would take at least a week to get produce to the IOM from Europe?

Freshly prepared sure, I really meant the ingredients could they have been sourced locally, if not, some/most/all could not have arrived fresh from Europe, I guess it would take at least a week to get produce to the IOM from Europe?

Freshly prepared but some of the products appeared to be prepared from frozen or tins. I was tempted by a bit of provencal chicken until I saw all the oblong pieces of chicken defrosting as they cooked.

Agree with what somebody said about the burgers although they did not have ostrich. It was nothing beyond what should be posibly locally, it is just about buying quality burgers and buns, not floury half stale babs. Same should apply to sausages and also applying proper decent cheese to a cheese burger rather than a square of processed yuck. Basically what route 66 take away next to the old Bushy's used to provide.

I didn't see any frozen or tinned produce, just saw lots of fresh veg and seafood. I must have just either not been looking or those items were before/after me being there. Still better food than some of the pubs on the island who's food is bought in from Jack Frosts.

I really hope they bring it over again, we need more things like this over here

• Like 1

I guess it would take at least a week to get produce to the IOM from Europe?

Island Seafare airfreight live lobsters sameday delivery to Paris & Barcelona

Robinsons has fresh veg & herbs from Thailand arriving on a Wednseday

My mate used to leave here on the Sunday night boat, drive to Dover and thence to Calais, load up with fags & booze and be back here by Tuesday 6am

So no, it need'nt take a week to get stuff from mainland Europe

Agree with what somebody said about the burgers although they did not have ostrich. It was nothing beyond what should be posibly locally, it is just about buying quality burgers and buns, not floury half stale babs. Same should apply to sausages and also applying proper decent cheese to a cheese burger rather than a square of processed yuck. Basically what route 66 take away next to the old Bushy's used to provide.

Exactly, good burgers are easy to make and fresh grated manx cheddar only costs a little bit more than the dayglo plastic square shite. Decent baps can be had from Patacake and that belting little bakery in Peel

Selling the frozen cheap cruddy ground gristle is just lazy and greedy. Most of the mobile food outlets over here are a total disgrace, christ knows what impression they give to the visitors

Edited by cheeky boy

Selling the frozen cheap cruddy ground gristle is just lazy and greedy. Most of the mobile food outlets over here are a total disgrace, christ knows what impression they give to the visitors

They are just crap, those long life baps should be banned, why dont these mobile food outlets understand that if you serve someone a decent honest burger and its nice they will get repeat business and people will pay more for decent food.

Once bitten twice shy is the normal attitude of a local fast food outlet victim.

I guess it would take at least a week to get produce to the IOM from Europe?

Island Seafare airfreight live lobsters sameday delivery to Paris & Barcelona

Robinsons has fresh veg & herbs from Thailand arriving on a Wednseday

My mate used to leave here on the Sunday night boat, drive to Dover and thence to Calais, load up with fags & booze and be back here by Tuesday 6am

So no, it need'nt take a week to get stuff from mainland Europe

Hm, I was assuming that imported foods would have to be checked by customs or whoever firstly in the Uk then here, I thought the authorities were very strict on food/live imports and that delays of 2 or 3 days at least would be inevitable, anyway fresh produce in my view would be picked or caught/slaughtered the same day, I am not saying that the food at this event wasn't great just questioning the 'fresh' comment.

Just spent my weeks pocket money allowance down there. 3 freshly baked coconut macaroons, tub of potato, chicken and tomatoes provencal and a big cappucino doughnut. Going back down tomorrow for some cheese and salami. This would be fantastic for Christmas.

Hm, I was assuming that imported foods would have to be checked by customs or whoever firstly in the Uk then here, I thought the authorities were very strict on food/live imports and that delays of 2 or 3 days at least would be inevitable, anyway fresh produce in my view would be picked or caught/slaughtered the same day, I am not saying that the food at this event wasn't great just questioning the 'fresh' comment.

So how old do you think the 'fresh' fruit is that you buy in the supermarket? Lovely 'picked that morning' oranges and melons all the way from Israel, South Africa, or God knows where. Nice and fresh.

As for buying something 'slaughtered the same day' - er, no thanks, especially beef. It should be hung for a good 2 weeks minimum - preferably 4 weeks

Not trying to be facetious but how fresh could the food be?

I walked one way and saw the ingredients for a paella go into the pan, by the time I'd got to the end and come back it was ready so I bought a portion. That's how fresh it can be. There was macaroons, crepes, a noodle bar, those waffle stick things all being cooked fresh in front of you. Fresh olives, Feta, cheeses, and meats were also for sale. At Tynwald the frozen burgers came out of a warmer and were briefly re-heated in front of us. Quite a contrast.

1/ So how old do you think the 'fresh' fruit is that you buy in the supermarket? Lovely 'picked that morning' oranges and melons all the way from Israel, South Africa, or God knows where. Nice and fresh.

2/ As for buying something 'slaughtered the same day' - er, no thanks, especially beef. It should be hung for a good 2 weeks minimum - preferably 4 weeks

1/ Thats my point, food described as fresh in the shops and supermarkets can't in my view be considered fresh and their advertising claims are just hype for the gullable.

2/ fair point on beef, venison, game, etc., but what about poultry, fish and other seafood.

PS I have purchased chickens advertised as 'fresh' from a local butcher and on removing the giblets found ice crystals.

Edited by hagar the horrible

They are just crap, those long life baps should be banned, why dont these mobile food outlets understand that if you serve someone a decent honest burger and its nice they will get repeat business and people will pay more for decent food.

I suppose a burger van at an event like Tynwald doesn't give a hoot about repeat business. I'd personally not want to serve muck, I'd rather be proud of the produce. People are notorious for buying the cheapest shite though, so it's probably our own fault.