Whats On The Prom,jubilee Lock End.

I never got there in the end and very disappointed about that especially as while having coffee with the mother of a Steam-packet employee she told me its unlikely that they will come back as they had booked on as normal passengers to come over but someone had been sent (from SP) to take all the number plates of the vans and they would be charged as freight to get back ... How true this is as one would imagine once the tickets were purchased they would be valid ... But I really hope they do come back !!!

It would also be a bit much to charge someone as 'freight' when (presuming they'd been successful) they shouldn't be carrying any goods, having sold them all. But would any of us be surprised if the Steam Packet tried to do exactly that? And if it did happen would any of us be surprised if many of us heard the skeet, but not a word appeared in the media on the Island. All we would get would be the Council patting itself on the back for a great success and the mysterious failure of such a success to be repeated.

In various forms these markets, usually promoted by the local authority, have been very popular up and down Britain (I come across them in places as diverse as Birmingham and Kirkwall) and I'd always put their absence from the Island down to the Steam Packet's policy of treating any vehicle they can as being 'freight' - no matter what size or how little money is being made or saved. So it appears that might be the case.

Still no doubt one day we will find out that our political leaders have rewarded the Steam Packet for their enterprise-killing policies by extending the User Agreement to 2040 or whenever. As a move to court popularity, they may even decide to encourage future markets by paying the Packet vast amounts of money to subsidise those coming over for future markets.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it's sanctioned by DDP and Douglas Corp ( with the organisers, not the corpy or DDP, bearing all the costs ) one would assume that the required permits to trade are in order.   Why do some people

In the Market Hall would be a good venue for Christmas. The popularity of the preserved foods,such as Salamis,cheeses,etc.does suggest that a good delicatessen would do well in Douglas.

It's a 'European' food and craft market, you know, stalls from the continent that have been brought over. I get plenty of manx produce from all the manx food markets during the year, but it's nice to

There's probably room on the Quay, or maybe an inside venue if there is one available.

Under the villa colonnade would seem to be the ideal place, it works for the local monthly market, and you could potentially use both sides of the 'window' if needed.

• Like 1

We were asking them if they would be returning and they are already booked to come back in December !

I was worried that it was going to be a typical Manx half arsed effort with the usual shite that the local stalls usually sell but how wrong was I. We went 4 times and spent a fortune there on cheese and cured meats and the tartiflette with garlic prawns was amazing. So glad that it was a success, the amount of people down there each time we went really shows that the locals residents will put their support behind new initiatives if they are done properly (ie, left to the professionals!)

Even on Wednesday lunchtime when we went in the pouring rain there were loads of people buying stuff :)

There's probably room on the Quay, or maybe an inside venue if there is one available.

Under the villa colonnade would seem to be the ideal place, it works for the local monthly market, and you could potentially use both sides of the 'window' if needed.

Is it true that there is a local bye-law preventing another market setting up within a certain distance of Douglas Market?

I seem to recall that being the case.

Is it true that there is a local bye-law preventing another market setting up within a certain distance of Douglas Market?

There has been a Christmas market outside on the Quay before - about 75yards from Douglas Market, so I doubt it matters.

Don't see anything in the bye-law, though it's not the easiest document to search through:

http://www.douglas.gov.im/byelaws/pedlars_and_street_traders_act_1906.pdf

Just says you either need a license (for various streets) or special permission for the foreshore and slipways.

• 4 months later...

It was great last time although Strand Street is going to be a bit of a crush however well done it is about time we had a bit of life in Douglas and I did not see any stalls last time that clashed with anything you could buy in Strand Street, apart from the handbag stall.