Raad Ny Foillan - Don't Wear Your Shorts!

Mr Woo

Who is responsible for footpath maintenance?

Onchan head footpath is/should be maintained by the owners of the land (the housing plots extend down to the high water mark). There is a covenant requiring owners to maintain the path but either the commissioners/whoever employs someone to strim the path a couple of times a year.

Posted Today, 07:51 AM

In all honesty, were you to live in the UK and be considering a walking holiday with family and dog would you pick the IOM over the coast of Wales or the Lake District?

Agree totally GD4ELI - costs a fortune to get over here, the paths aren't maintained, and none of the pubs/cafes allow dogs in. I would never recommend this place as a walking destination to anybody.

• Like 1

It wouldn't cost much to employ a single person to do this job. Allow him/her access to the DOI equipment like strimmers and chainsaws, and a van, pay him £16,000 a year, happy days. I would love to do this job. Walking all over the island looking after the footpaths. Great.

Part of the Millennium Way is really bad too, from St. Marks to the Ballamodha Straight, which goes through farm land. Not overgrown, but very, very muddy and pools of water in places. I don't know if the farmer is keeping it like that on purpose to deter walkers.

Part of the Millennium Way is really bad too, from St. Marks to the Ballamodha Straight, which goes through farm land. Not overgrown, but very, very muddy and pools of water in places. I don't know if the farmer is keeping it like that on purpose to deter walkers.

To be fair, I walked that a wee while ago, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt with the horrendous amount of rain that had fallen. I assume it is still the same then? Some of the entry / exits from fields were quagmires!

To be fair, I walked that a wee while ago, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt with the horrendous amount of rain that had fallen. I assume it is still the same then? Some of the entry / exits from fields were quagmires!

Every time I have walked that section it has been really bad. As it's private land with a public right of way going through it, I don't know if there are any rules that say the owner must keep it in reasonable condition. I don't think you can obstruct the right of way by say putting bard-wire across it, but is mud and water classed as an obstruction?

I wonder if the farmers as part of the Countryside Care scheme are responsible for the condition of footpaths going through their land. As it has been decreed that they are responsible for trimming the roadside hedges I wonder how many will. Cyclists, walkers and horse riders are now having to move further over into the middle of the road to escape the clutches of the brambles!

I wonder if the farmers as part of the Countryside Care scheme are responsible for the condition of footpaths going through their land. As it has been decreed that they are responsible for trimming the roadside hedges I wonder how many will. Cyclists, walkers and horse riders are now having to move further over into the middle of the road to escape the clutches of the brambles!

Too busy cutting their cushags down before August 1st (Weeds Act 1957)

Oh they changed that so landowners don't have to bother now.

Edited by Moghrey Mie