Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Addie

Should Public Housing Change

Just heard on the telly, I think, that the public sector housing tenants on the island are to have their income assessed every 2 years in the future, did I hear right?

New tenants, not existing! There's a bit in the courier about. But I will warn you, when looking for the article, don't blink, you might miss it. There's a topic on it here believe it or not lol

Just heard on the telly, I think, that the public sector housing tenants on the island are to have their income assessed every 2 years in the future, did I hear right?

New tenants, not existing! There's a bit in the courier about. But I will warn you, when looking for the article, don't blink, you might miss it. There's a topic on it here believe it or not lol

Thanks

At last some good ideas from CR about bloody time, I bet there will be a few train sets being packed away now in preparation for a few 40 year old virgins having to move out of the nest. Fully support social housing but no support for piss takers and abusers of the system. Good man Chris much support for this one, several million clawed back in a few weeks.

I think you are being a tad optimistic there, CB. The new rules apply to new tenancies which according to the radio this morning can be expected to be around 60 a year (based on the stats given - 600 council houses with an annual turnover of 10%). It doesn't go deep enough in my book.

I think you are being a tad optimistic there, CB. The new rules apply to new tenancies which according to the radio this morning can be expected to be around 60 a year (based on the stats given - 600 council houses with an annual turnover of 10%). It doesn't go deep enough in my book.

Good morning Gladys

I reported the following to the radio - there are a total of around 6000 public sector houses and with approx. 10% turnover per annum, this would provide around 600 agreements per year - so - same percentages but different numbers.

At last some good ideas from CR about bloody time, I bet there will be a few train sets being packed away now in preparation for a few 40 year old virgins having to move out of the nest. Fully support social housing but no support for piss takers and abusers of the system. Good man Chris much support for this one, several million clawed back in a few weeks.

Nearly full-marks from me too - the only let down would appear to be that it only applies to the very latest/new tenants meaning the existing long-term piss-takers can continue at least until across-the-board means testing can be brought in. But a much-needed good start, nevertheless.

Nearly full-marks from me too - the only let down would appear to be that it only applies to the very latest/new tenants meaning the existing long-term piss-takers can continue at least until across-the-board means testing can be brought in. But a much-needed good start, nevertheless.

Where do you suggest these " 40 yr old virgins" go?

I have a19 yr old brother in law who is back living with his mother after a short spell living in digs down along the prom in Douglas, which was full of junkies and thieves . I went to help him move out of this pit and was shocked to see what his £85 a week was getting him accomadation wise. I would say the cells in HMP JURBY would be like a 5 star hotel compared till it!

I have a19 yr old brother in law who is back living with his mother after a short spell living in digs down along the prom in Douglas, which was full of junkies and thieves . I went to help him move out of this pit and was shocked to see what his £85 a week was getting him accomadation wise. I would say the cells in HMP JURBY would be like a 5 star hotel compared till it!

Govt should have a housing standards policy and apply it rigorously to all rental sector properties.There is no excuse for allowing any Landlord to rent out sub standard accommodation.

Agree with you that this is a let down that it will only apply to new tenancies,this is going to create an inequitable 2 tier system.

Govt should have a housing standards policy and apply it rigorously to all rental sector properties.There is no excuse for allowing any Landlord to rent out sub standard accommodation.

exactly, with the prices so high for private sector rents, where is the young folk supposed to go? they are drivin to places such as the 1 i seen, and i know there are plenty more around aswell. ive lived also in these rented out dumps as i had no other option, and as you say, there is no agency to voice youre concern of havin to live in these places, you either like it, lump it or move on, minus your rip off deposit you paid, and the landlord left rubbin his hands, waiting for the next fool to come along! and by the sounds of it, i would say theres a few on here posting on putting people out of public sector houses

exactly, with the prices so high for private sector rents, where is the young folk supposed to go? they are drivin to places such as the 1 i seen, and i know there are plenty more around aswell. ive lived also in these rented out dumps as i had no other option, and as you say, there is no agency to voice youre concern of havin to live in these places, you either like it, lump it or move on, minus your rip off deposit you paid, and the landlord left rubbin his hands, waiting for the next fool to come along! and by the sounds of it, i would say theres a few on here posting on putting people out of public sector houses

In a way, these are two different issues.

Wonderful thing, the internet, seedy hotels etc are exposed for global appreciation all of the time.There should be no hiding place for sleazy, grubby, grasping landlords on this island.

They need reporting, named and banning from renting out their disgraceful accommodation ever again.

To whom/what would one report cases like this?

edited for bloat quote

Edited by Addie

Good morning Gladys

I reported the following to the radio - there are a total of around 6000 public sector houses and with approx. 10% turnover per annum, this would provide around 600 agreements per year - so - same percentages but different numbers.

Thanks Chris. Numbers were out by a factor of 10 and my apologies but the important figure was the turnover figure which means it will take 10 years for all council houses to be put on these terms which is just too long.

they just need to do a 'bus drivers' on them. give them all 3 months notice to accept new terms, ( can't they increase rent anyway?) in which case you put the rent up 100% for all those not willing to be looked at and re-assesed, the ones in difficulty now may get a reduction, but i think anybody owing back rent should be re-assesed by default as there is an issue to sort. do tennants on the social get given the rent money only to have to pay it back again, or does it get removed at source?? i think anybody on benefits should have all goverment debts removed at source, so rent and fines etc. that way they can't be in default of fine payments and take the go to jurby option to wipe the slate clean. getting a fine would mean it got payed eventually and if the crimes got to the fine too much stage then impose custody without the fine option.

In a way, these are two different issues.

Wonderful thing, the internet, seedy hotels etc are exposed for global appreciation all of the time.There should be no hiding place for sleazy, grubby, grasping landlords on this island.

They need reporting, named and banning from renting out their disgraceful accommodation ever again.

To whom/what would one report cases like this?

There's even one landlord who allows females to stay free of charge for an oral agreement.

Isn't that right Mr *******s!!! (emphasis on oral if you know what I mean)

I also hear that this is apparently known by certain departments and agencies, but they are unable to do anything about it.

Now that's sleazy, but hey, does anyone really care as long as the persons have accommodation?

Edited by manxy