Airport Passenger Numbers Drop Again - And Again - And Again - And Again - And Again!

This is 'off topic', I know, and I don't know if your comments, Manxie, are 'tongue in cheek' but I sincerely hope that the DED has made serious investigations into the Island's 'fracking' potential and if they haven't they should.

To return to topic, EORH - yes, it would have been for trim purposes.

I hope that behind the scenes the Parish Council and the Big Girl Down At tthe Airport are taking the potential collapse in air services extremely seriously.

There are plenty of you taking it seriously. Try not to be so patronising its the Manx that will be left to sort it out.. If the FC and its followers leave this Island what will be left will be those who were here before they came and will be here to try to find another way forward for the Island f, its people and their children in the future. It was always so. We have survived before the FC came and we will after they are gone. We have seen it all before. The attitude that the Island was only partly developed before the latest saviours came, is old hat now. We have the Oldest Parliament in the World, The Best Road Races in the World, and the best kippers in the world, and they were all here before the Finance Sector. WE WILL SURVIVE. with or without the rich and greed filled society that has developed over the past 20 + years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fact she is still in a job highlights, in a nutshell, everything that is wrong with this rock. Not even qualified for the job in the first place, makes a mess of it, gets a promotion and lives the

I keep air travel to a minimum (although my last flight c/o Easyjet was a much better experience than any with Flybe). THE SECURITY AT RONALDSWAY IS AN ABSOLUTE NONSENSE AND I STRONGLY OBJECT TO BEIN

We're clearly all panicking over nothing IMO.   The Directress long ago assured us and our Leaders who appointed her that next year there'll be 1,500,000 passengers a year passing through the hallow

Posted Images

There are plenty of you taking it seriously. Try not to be so patronising its the Manx that will be left to sort it out.. If the FC and its followers leave this Island what will be left will be those who were here before they came and will be here to try to find another way forward for the Island f, its people and their children in the future. It was always so. We have survived before the FC came and we will after they are gone. We have seen it all before. The attitude that the Island was only partly developed before the latest saviours came, is old hat now. We have the Oldest Parliament in the World, The Best Road Races in the World, and the best kippers in the world, and they were all here before the Finance Sector. WE WILL SURVIVE. with or without the rich and greed filled society that has developed over the past 20 + years.

Good luck paying off the debts (MEA, CS pension, housing loans etc.) without the financial sector. These debts will cripple you, they are something you didn't have before.

• Like 1

This is 'off topic', I know, and I don't know if your comments, Manxie, are 'tongue in cheek' but I sincerely hope that the DED has made serious investigations into the Island's 'fracking' potential and if they haven't they should.

I hope that behind the scenes the Parish Council and the Big Girl Down At tthe Airport are taking the potential collapse in air services extremely seriously.

I actually think the island needs to go through this downturn to get back to normality. The government has feasted and bloated itself up to obscene levels on the free VAT money so much so that it has totally distorted how the island runs. Maybe it needs to get back to a sustainable level of government in order to function efficiently. The airport is just one small example of the whole.

I actually think the island needs to go through this downturn to get back to normality. The government has feasted and bloated itself up to obscene levels on the free VAT money so much so that it has totally distorted how the island runs. Maybe it needs to get back to a sustainable level of government in order to function efficiently. The airport is just one small example of the whole.

Hear, hear. The problem is that they'll inflict God only knows how much pain on the man in the street and do a similar amount of damage to what's left of the economy trying to sustain the unsustainable (like they are doing now...) until the penny actually does drop, MAYBE in a couple of year's time when the coffers are well and truly drained.

A few wealthy people and concerns enjoying their positions and wealth through nothing more than traditions, monopolies and politics is only part of the problem. Lots of empires and vested interests to defend. Rotten to the core?

Let alone the fact that IoMG runs at dial-up speed when the rest of the world is at broadband speed.....price you pay for the Oldest "Democratic" Government in the World, doncha know..

Edited by Non-Believer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-23058917

So Inverness have negotiated a five year deal with EasyJet - what are Reynolds and Cretney doing are we last

in line as usual ?

Reynolds and Cretney are part of the problem, both enjoy spending other peoples money to satisfy their egos !!.

And will do so again no doubt to try to get out of this mess.

Who would be here to sort it out if the financial sector left Manxie? You may be happy for the island to return to what it was in the 50s and 60s but even if you ignore the huge debts the island has now and we are talking in the region of three quarters of a billion pounds all in, the islands youth will not want to stay here and live like that.

The place would see mass migration and not just "Comeovers" the youth of today are too connected to the world via the web to put up with just surviving, they want to be able to live properly in the 21st century. The youth of the past had little contact with the wider world, not many went off the island, one of my friends parents for example had their honeymoon at Cregneash, do you see people doing that kind of thing now?

I tend to think you are also looking back at the past with rose tinted glasses, it is an understandable thing, we all tend to do it when we remember things in the distant past. The good things are at the front of our memories but the bad things are either forgotten or subconsciously suppressed.

We cant turn to clock back, the world and the island have moved on, we have to keep trying to work our way out of this.

• Like 1

Good luck paying off the debts (MEA, CS pension, housing loans etc.) without the financial sector. These debts will cripple you, they are something you didn't have before.

I think you will find we had electric , pensions and houses before the FC arrived, what they brought with them was a culture of greed that has invaded the whole Island. We will survive. What will all the FC workers do ? there will be nowhere left to go. You've had a good run, sadly at the Islands expense. Many of us have said we would have to pay the piper after you lot left, and we will with or without you. Where do you think those debts came from ? One word - GREED

Who would be here to sort it out if the financial sector left Manxie? You may be happy for the island to return to what it was in the 50s and 60s but even if you ignore the huge debts the island has now and we are talking in the region of three quarters of a billion pounds all in, the islands youth will not want to stay here and live like that.

The place would see mass migration and not just "Comeovers" the youth of today are too connected to the world via the web to put up with just surviving, they want to be able to live properly in the 21st century. The youth of the past had little contact with the wider world, not many went off the island, one of my friends parents for example had their honeymoon at Cregneash, do you see people doing that kind of thing now?

I tend to think you are also looking back at the past with rose tinted glasses, it is an understandable thing, we all tend to do it when we remember things in the distant past. The good things are at the front of our memories but the bad things are either forgotten or subconsciously suppressed.

We cant turn to clock back, the world and the island have moved on, we have to keep trying to work our way out of this.

So you will agree that we did not have this massive debt before the FC arrived. Where then is the ultimate benefit to the Island its people and its future. ?

So you will agree that we did not have this massive debt before the FC arrived. Where then is the ultimate benefit to the Island its people and its future. ?

A small addition to my last comment. The youth of the Island have always left as they do everywhere. Grass is greener and all that. The vast majority of the Island s youth now have only one skill, namely working in the FC { Office] and being able to operate a PC. I would have thought that was a greater problem. If they wish to go , what are they going to do. I refer to the Manx young people, who I feel have been betrayed. Hugely expensive houses, massive private rents, low wages [mostly] high cost of living. Don't try to sell the 'your lucky to live in such a beautiful place' card to them. They already knew that, and much of that has been ruined as well. No-body is a winner here, but the people I worry for are the true Manx and their children

Where do you think those debts came from ? One word - GREED

Incompetent politicians, mainly Manx ones at that. Don't blame others because you took your eye off the ball.

A small addition to my last comment. The youth of the Island have always left as they do everywhere. Grass is greener and all that. The vast majority of the Island s youth now have only one skill, namely working in the FC { Office] and being able to operate a PC. I would have thought that was a greater problem. If they wish to go , what are they going to do. I refer to the Manx young people, who I feel have been betrayed. Hugely expensive houses, massive private rents, low wages [mostly] high cost of living. Don't try to sell the 'your lucky to live in such a beautiful place' card to them. They already knew that, and much of that has been ruined as well. No-body is a winner here, but the people I worry for are the true Manx and their children

No we did not have huge debt then but we would still have needed a new power station at some point even if the financial sector had not been encouraged.

As far as I remember, in the early 80s the island was down to its last million in the bank, I also remember something about the government of the time looking at letting the UK build a prison here to make ends meet. It was not a good time back then, huge unemployment and poor infrastructure. I left school around that time and there were just no jobs, most of my school mates left the island.

I would really like to know how you would have liked the island to develop if it had not had the financial sector? How would we have got on without it?What would have paid for the new hospital? The Prison? The Iris project? And dont say we did not need them because we did, the prison and the sewers were Victorian and not up to modern standards which just because we are an island does not mean we can ignore them.

I also would like to understand what exactly you mean by "the people I worry for are the true Manx and their children" Do you think just because both someones grandparents were born here it will make them want to scrape an existence from the land and sea? As GD4ELI has pointed out, it was Manx politicians who introduced the policy's but I really dont see what difference again, where you or your family were born geographically makes.

I honestly dont think you have thought this through properly, if the FS go it will not just return to how it was in your memories, which seem like a Manx version of The Darling Buds of May, it will likely end up with the UK having to step in but only after something like OAPs not getting their pension paid for a few weeks.

It would have to be pretty dire for the UK to take an interest but it is something that could happen. The past you are so fond of, had one big difference to the present, there were tourists, I also dont think you realise how much difference those people made to the islands ability to function.

• Like 2

Flybe's relinquishing of the Gatwick route would be a golden opportunity for BA to capture the Island's business market...

I was on these planes the other week - they were < 1/3rd full, probably nearer 1/5th. The business people waiting in the lounge were openly talking about the lack of future for the Island's financial centre. BA will no doubt be aware of what's coming, what's the betting that the last LCY slot will be used for winter holidays later this year?

More likely a 1/4 full then?

Flybe's relinquishing of the Gatwick route would be a golden opportunity for BA to capture the Island's business market...

I was on these planes the other week - they were < 1/3rd full, probably nearer 1/5th. The business people waiting in the lounge were openly talking about the lack of future for the Island's financial centre. BA will no doubt be aware of what's coming, what's the betting that the last LCY slot will be used for winter holidays later this year?

LOL w00t.gif

Just like his glass.