Airport Passenger Numbers Drop Again - And Again - And Again - And Again - And Again!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fact she is still in a job highlights, in a nutshell, everything that is wrong with this rock. Not even qualified for the job in the first place, makes a mess of it, gets a promotion and lives the

I keep air travel to a minimum (although my last flight c/o Easyjet was a much better experience than any with Flybe). THE SECURITY AT RONALDSWAY IS AN ABSOLUTE NONSENSE AND I STRONGLY OBJECT TO BEIN

We're clearly all panicking over nothing IMO.   The Directress long ago assured us and our Leaders who appointed her that next year there'll be 1,500,000 passengers a year passing through the hallow

Posted Images

The finance sector is not done !, but it is battling all manner of external pressures one of them being the lack of coherent transport policy. Unless something else is on the horizon that could perhaps fill a large black hole then the finance sector is still the best hope for recovery we have.

Agreed - the Finance Sector is far from finished. Also the London City Route (which I fly weekly - sometimes day return) is not just for the Finance sector here but also all manner of professionals who are dependant in some way on Business in London.

As an example I was thinking of expanding my Business (which is not entirely Finance focussed) over the next 12 months and have people lined up and waiting to get involved. With the changes to the City flights and the horrible timing of the Gatwick flights (which I find is a horrible airport to deal with anyway) I am considering whether to go through with the expansion.

These routes are essential. If IOM wants to prosper they need to keep good links, at the start and end of Business day, to the West End, Canary Wharf and the City wide open.

...........Bottom line THERE IS NO MARKET! ..............

What a stupid comment.

Despite all the problems, the current services are carrying 20,000+ passengers a month between IOM and London.

Of course there is a market - it might be price sensitive and there may be less business travellers prepared to pay £300+ for a round trip then a few years ago, but there is very significant demand if the timings, and the prices, are right.

• Like 1

...........Bottom line THERE IS NO MARKET! ..............

What a stupid comment.

Despite all the problems, the current services are carrying 20,000+ passengers a month between IOM and London.

Of course there is a market - it might be price sensitive and there may be less business travellers prepared to pay £300+ for a round trip then a few years ago, but there is very significant demand if the timings, and the prices, are right.

Very true.

What part of the basic inequality of the does government not get?

It's not so much the inequality that gets me, it's the clueless way AB and his 'team' are running the Island.

Re: the airport - I would estimate as much as a 20% reduction by the end of 2016.

He's no fool though despite the critisicm. He has mentioned corporotising the airport and post office and that's a very good start but the airport critisicm in my mind has been justified. In business you do not pass off your failings onto your customers to pay for. You analyse your business first, and then decide what you need to do to rebalance it, and whether any pricing impact can be absorbed by your customers or not. The sheer arrogance of the airport team to just unilaterally offload their failings on to us to pick up the tab is breathtaking.
A well thought out comment [for a businessman] Which seems strange after your last foul mouthed response to me, when I was just trying to give you all a bit of a laugh. Can't have that though, no humour in business. I am only an ordinary person but I am still capable of responding without low life insults. Something you as an 'important person' seem incapable of. You are quite happy then for the Airport to be handed over to some bunch of 'quick profit boys'. Well I am not. Ronaldsway Airport has had vast amounts of 'OUR MONEY' spent on it over the past several years to make it more attractive to 'The money classes'. A lot of good it has done. We now cant afford to educate our children properly, staff our Hospital properly in order to care for our sick, and everyone but the rich are being asked to take the brunt. You think handing over everything we have paid for to 'Private Enterprise' is the answer. Well not for the ordinary people it isn't. Back to Thatcherland for you my boy, it's where you belong.
You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about where you think you are in life. I don't have a problem with anything, even if the IOM goes back to the old days it wouldn't bother me. Believe me though it won't be some sort of Darling Buds of May land of spuds and herring. You'll have widespread unemployment, collosal negative equity, and even worse budgetary problems in IOMG than you have now.

If you prefer that crack on. Let's set the button for about 1980 and see if we get there.

As for me I'd like a fair economy where baggage handlers don't take the fucking piss out of me as a taxpayer, and I'm not being screwed to fund salaries of over £100,000 to people who seem incapable of managing state resources properly. I have people I work with who have not had a payrise in ages and who have had to accept that working practices are changing. I don't expect them either to be robbed by a bunch of civil servants who think that are an endless pit of money to tap into.

The problem with some government workers is they bought into our economic prosperity myth without realising what a lot of us in the private sector saw - that it was fleeting and fabricated and not based on very much. I'm a realist and all I'm saying is that people inside IOMG need to start being relaists too. Times have changed, get used to it, and the ones who refuse to step up to the plate and help IOMG save money can either try to change their attitude or fuck off back to the UK where most of the worse ones came from.

I agree with you on the no money for education, but again if we stopped pissing money away on employing so many people we might actually have some money left for our kids or the elderly. As it is we spend so much on government to just enable it to run government and employ people that there's hardly any money left for the end users of those services anymore (eg. Children, the sick, the elderly, the vulnerable). Managing things better might create more money to spend on the people who need it, not just government workers and their families.

Managing things better in the recent past has meant just one thing as far as I can see - More managers. If you think that has improved things then we really are poles apart. Shame about the foul language again, you should go to Anger Management where you can meet lots more managers. We do both seem a bit mixed up here ,because we seem to agree on a lot of things as well. Do you not agree that Government staff increased hugely in line with the FS s growth, presumably to deal with all the increased paperwork and legislation that sector brought about. If the FS is decreasing in size then I agree so should the Public Sector, but much of the FS success has surely been due to quick Government response to any problems they have had. Witness the Council of Ministers and it's part in looking after the FS. We also agree that our elderly, young and sick should be properly cared for as in any civilised society. However paying for that is the problem. In my world increased Tax on those who can afford it should be one of the ways, but that may cause an outflow of such people. So mabye the answer was while we had the riches of recent years we should have spent much wiser, and not like some idiot who had just won the Lottery. Nobody has the answers but I liked the Island a lot more when we did not have the FS and all that goes with it. I know jobs are important, but so is somewhere to live and many local young couples have not found the answer to that one in our 'Success Story'. Good luck Isle of Man I fear many only see you for what they can personally gain. Sad that times have changed.

I saw this a few weeks ago. Pro active Governments do try to do a bit of work.

Ok. I know this particular destination is not feasible. But why nothing on the news about getting a feeder tie in to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16046981

Oh God don't give Princess Reynolds any ideas...... She'll have a runway extension to carry double decker jumbo's to Shanghai on the next grand plan.

Ok. I know this particular destination is not feasible. But why nothing on the news about getting a feeder tie in to this:

Oh God don't give Princess Reynolds any ideas...... She'll have a runway extension to carry double decker jumbo's to Shanghai on the next grand plan.

Lol. It's an alternative route. A twice weekly shuttle to Schipol would open the world to Manx companies. Newcastle is a gateway to the east via Emirates.

Too much concentration on London in my opinion.

A weekly flight to Shannon opens up the States.

A wee word in Salmond's ear might just get a landing slot in Scotland in time to catch the direct to China......

The world does not stop at London.

No need for us to be an Island when it comes to air travel. We just need to feed the hubs other people are trying to build.

Lol. It's an alternative route. A twice weekly shuttle to Schipol would open the world to Manx companies. Newcastle is a gateway to the east via Emirates.

A wee word in Salmond's ear might just get a landing slot in Scotland in time to catch the direct to China......

No need for us to be an Island when it comes to air travel. We just need to feed the hubs other people are trying to build.

You're showing far too much foresight Alan, get to the back of the class.

• Like 1

It just might work provided you move every bank head office, fund company head office, insurance company head office, corporate and commercial lawyer doing offshore corporate work, corporate introducer, trust company law office and private wealth and asset management office to Newcastle or Scotland. Like it or not London IS the centre of the universe and the biggest economic hub in the UK and probably in Europe. How typical of the IOM to decide it can do without London without appreciating the reality of that statement.

Anyone who thinks much goes on outside of London has little grasp of how our economy works.

• Like 1

my wife arrived back on the island this week on a half empty flybe flight. when i booked i was informed that there were only two seats available for this flight and i should hurry with my booking. DROP THE PRICES AND THEY WILL FLY.

• Like 1