Southlands

Lightening McQueen

The policy makers need to look at these figures and plan what they are going to do about it.

In some countries the children must pay for their parents' residential care, if there are no children or the children are truely poor then it's the parents' parish.

IMO the first stop for funding care for the elderly is the family, then then state.

The argument 'I paid my taxes, etc.' doesn't hold water here, it's clear that not enough taxes are being paid. Say hello to inheritance tax, capital gains tax (including housing), wealth tax.

I wasn't thinking about who was going to pay for care so much as who is going to do the work of looking after all these older people.

Six members of staff on long term sick leave?Out of a staff total of what?

That'll be the "Stress" disease then.........

And what would be the reason for the 'stress disease' do you think. To much 'middle management' mabye ?

The policy makers need to look at these figures and plan what they are going to do about it.

In some countries the children must pay for their parents' residential care, if there are no children or the children are truely poor then it's the parents' parish.

IMO the first stop for funding care for the elderly is the family, then then state.

The argument 'I paid my taxes, etc.' doesn't hold water here, it's clear that not enough taxes are being paid. Say hello to inheritance tax, capital gains tax (including housing), wealth tax.

I wasn't thinking about who was going to pay for care so much as who is going to do the work of looking after all these older people.

You don't plan to get old yourself then?

You don't plan to get old yourself then?

Yes I'll need 'feeding and watering' one day and I hope there will be enough trained and qualified staff to look after me.

And what would be the reason for the 'stress disease' do you think. To much 'middle management' mabye ?

I don't think it's a "middle-management" issue. "Stress" appears to be a strange, non-discriminatory disease that apparently knows no boundaries. Think of some of those who've suffered currently and in the recent past:

Attorney Generals (allegedly)

Chief Constables

Prison Governesses

Other Senior and Rank and File Police Officers

Senior and Rank and File Civil Servants

Rank and File Social Workers

Rank and File Health Workers

In fact the only common denominator that could possibly be applied is that all these people afflicted are Public Sector employees entitled to generous, long term sickness pay.....

Edited by Non-Believer

I don't think it's a "middle-management" issue. "Stress" appears to be a strange, non-discriminatory disease that apparently knows no boundaries. Think of some of those who've suffered currently and in the recent past:

Attorney Generals (allegedly)

Chief Constables

Prison Governesses

Other Senior and Rank and File Police Officers

Senior and Rank and File Civil Servants

Rank and File Social Workers

Rank and File Health Workers

In fact the only common denominator that could possibly be applied is that all these people afflicted are Public Sector employees entitled to generous, long term sickness pay.....

I notice you only mention Government workers. Are you suggesting no-one in the Private Sector is off with 'Stress' ?

Why cant the managers step in to provide cover for sick frontline staff?

Surely they worked their way through the ranks so they must be qualified.

Maybe time to turn the inverted triangle from top heavy to bottom heavy. Balanced in other words.

Maybe time to turn the inverted triangle from top heavy to bottom heavy. Balanced in other words.

Do you really believe that? All staff charts I've seen aren't top heavy inverted pyramids. How many people are off sick? How many managers do you suppose there are? Who does their work in the meantime?

Do you really believe that? All staff charts I've seen aren't top heavy inverted pyramids. How many people are off sick? How many managers do you suppose there are? Who does their work in the meantime?

But if all the frontline staff are sick, who do the managers manage?

I am not talking about the southland managers. I am talking about the healthcare managers. The directors.... and dare I suggest the minister.

Its not as if the IOM Government have a staff shortage. What was the figure? One in four employed by Government?

I notice you only mention Government workers. Are you suggesting no-one in the Private Sector is off with 'Stress' ?

No I'm not. But I certainly can't think of anybody I know of who is, at the moment. Can you? And certainly not for the months at a time that some of these PS take off (on full, then reduced pay) with the malaise....

I am not talking about the southland managers. I am talking about the healthcare managers.

You're bonkers.

These Ideas may sound good rattling around inside your head but in reality they're nonsense.

Seems bonkers to me to close a facility because of staff being off sick.