Shops Closing Down Douglas

EORH

I see Wilkins has closed in Duke Street,that's the second one in just two months,the last was the Health Food Shop next to the bakers,also the sandwich shop was closed on Friday morning?,is that shut for good?.

The way things are going by the time the pavement renovators get down there,there will be streets of empty shops,and if this Hotel and shops scheme down at the Lord Street car park gets built,there will be nobody left to rent them,and the proposed bus station on Victoria street will be no use,as most of the shops will be closed in that area the way things are going with the economy.

Anybody know what the number of empty shops is in the Douglas shopping centre?.

I see Wilkins has closed in Duke Street,that's the second one in just two months,the last was the Health Food Shop next to the bakers,also the sandwich shop was closed on Friday morning?,is that shut for good?.

The way things are going by the time the pavement renovators get down there,there will be streets of empty shops,and if this Hotel and shops scheme down at the Lord Street car park gets built,there will be nobody left to rent them,and the proposed bus station on Victoria street will be no use,as most of the shops will be closed in that area the way things are going with the economy.

As other people will point out - far from closing down Wilkins have invested heavily into a huge new shop down by Next. Let's all have a moan though as I'm sure that something negative can be read into a local business making a substantial investment into a new bigger shop closer to the centre of town.

• Like 1

As other people will point out - far from closing down Wilkins have invested heavily into a huge new shop down by Next. Let's all have a moan though as I'm sure that something negative can be read into a local business making a substantial investment into a new bigger shop closer to the centre of town.

just think, it leaves more room for yet another coffee shop down Duke St end :lol:

I'd love to see that done, ideally with some development on the Villiers site to provide some additional bar/restaurant space.. If done properly it could be great.

Just a shame it'll never happen and we'll probably end up with more empty shops along there and an ever more rundown KFC

There is some new Outdoor Sports Store opening imminently opposite Woolworths(ish).

Regarding shops closing down, speaking from experience with a business renting a property, I would say they are/were all doing a decent trade. However, any profits are all swallowed up by greedy property landlords they are renting the premises from, charging outrageous amounts.

Every time we moan about local customer service and every time we buy online from a business which has no high street premises costs, we hammer a nail into local retail business. We will soon have the high streets we deserve.

I walked past Tuckers Chip Shop today and noticed a small sign in the window, saying that the business was for sale. They didn't mention how much in total they wanted, but they did mention that the new owner would have to pay £60,000.00 in rent to whoever owns the building and the present business owner is wanting £150,000.00 for the 'Good Will'.

Rents in the main shopping streets of Douglas are overpriced.

• Like 1