Summerland On Radio 4

kevster

Following that 'successful' inquiry, the Manx establishment got the message, and just a few years later, for the Savings & Investment Bank trial held in the Ocean Castle Hotel Port Erin, the men who were to stand trial (it could eventually be a list as long as your arm) all got off scot free. The judge they brought in was over 75 years of age and must have decided he didn't want to wrap up the final chapter of his life on a corrupt and  desolate shithole of an Island (as it most certainly was at the time).

Case Dismissed.

Case dismissed? my arse.

Edited by AOR
  • Like 2

The letter sent by advocates on Douglas Councils behalf was 4 years ago, so presumably lots of other letters are fired off to people that Douglas Council, don’t like, disagree with and think they have slighted them? I would be surprised if it was just one person on the end of an advocates letter. Still it’s easy money for the advocates, so can’t imagine they are going to refuse the work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

We don't know what correspondence preceded that letter. 

Agreed it might be a bit heavy handed, but this lady is vociferous and we do not know the back story

Well there doesn't seem to be anything they were objecting to except a radio interview, or they would presumably have mentioned it (anything written would be treated more seriously).  It does come across as bizarrely touchy, whichever way you look at it.

42 minutes ago, AOR said:

Hah hah! Justice Cantley. Better know for his performance in the Jeremy Thorpe murder trial, as famously depicted by Peter Cook

I'd forgotten he'd done the Summerland Inquiry (and neither his Wiki or the one on the disaster mention it).  He was also the Judge of Appeal here in the 60s, so hardly an outsider either.

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'd forgotten he'd done the Summerland Inquiry (and neither his Wiki or the one on the disaster mention it).  He was also the Judge of Appeal here in the 60s, so hardly an outsider either.

His wiki provides a lovely mention of Peter Cook's parody of him. Hah hah!