Parliament Street In Ramsey Is Starting To Look Great But

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if Wilfie kept his own " house/ yard " in check and tidier then he would have been taken more seriously regarding the "free" car park overhaul ! Nothing is for free these days....don't you be

Fattest brown envelope wins every time

I think Wilfie takes a perverse pleasure in ruining the view from the adjacent apartments and the Town Hall!! Wish he'd do something about the house though - it's got a reasonably sized garden and co

Posted Images

It isn't going to be pedestrianised (I really wish people would stop saying that). That may very well be the long-term aim of those in charge but it most certainly isn't on the agenda right now and I and many others will vigorously oppose it if and when it does get proposed.

I don't really understand where the water is supposed to go if it is being encouraged to drain off into the middle of the road as there are no drains there and it looks like there will be 'ramps' at both ends. It could make a nice water feature alongside the gardens I guess. smile.png

They installed new big drains before TT week, so the drainage will be OK, dont you remember the deep excavations and it was all re-tarmaced for the races? Someone on here commented that it seemed such a waste of money on tarmac just to shut it and dig it up after.

On the pedestrianisation thing I am in full agreement it would be the death of Parliament street if it was made like Strand Street although just keeping the existing detour and keeping the new paving free of vehicles with a few benches to sit and eat your lunch would be quite nice I think.

It really is but has anyone else noticed how the road is slopping inwards?

I can only assume it's by design and that it's part of the plan for drainage - looks like it is intended to keep the parking side clear of water so you don't step into a 3 inch deep puddle when you park there.

So why the hell didn't they have parking on the left side of the road as normal?

Typical none solution to a none problem - Americans spent millions developing an ink pen that would work in zero gravity space...the Russians used a pencil!

Typical none solution to a none problem - Americans spent millions developing an ink pen that would work in zero gravity space...the Russians used a pencil!

...and made more than the ~ $480 million the pen cost to develop in resulting technology sales.

...and made more than the ~ $480 million the pen cost to develop in resulting technology sales.

Except they didn't - they just used pencils like the Russians until the 'Fisher' pen was used by both Americans and Russians.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

EDIT: snap!

I can't imagine how anything in Ramsey can look great. Some things can be passable, or even vaguely functional but rarely is anything genuinely great.

Except they didn't - they just used pencils like the Russians until the 'Fisher' pen was used by both Americans and Russians.

http://www.snopes.co...us/spacepen.asp

EDIT: snap!

Except they did, the Soviets only started using the pen a year later, they were still using grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969

...I stand by my statement thumbsup.gif

I can't imagine how anything in Ramsey can look great. Some things can be passable, or even vaguely functional but rarely is anything genuinely great.

Where do you live that's so spectacular?

• Like 1

I can only assume it's by design and that it's part of the plan for drainage - looks like it is intended to keep the parking side clear of water so you don't step into a 3 inch deep puddle when you park there.

Unless you are the passenger! From memory I think this area is designated disabled parking. Anyone else notice how crap the joint into the existing road by IOM Bank is. Not sure how this all supposed to link up and Feltons corner would offer a good alternative to a velodrome!

It's got to go along Court Row and Water Street yet so they will sort the corner out before that I'm sure.

I only have one pic at present - will try and get some more in due course.

post-72-0-69310500-1346488948_thumb.jpg

Looking at that, there is indeed a drain at one end, not sure about the other end though.

It's obvious (from the photo at least) there's a drain running the length of the lowest point of the new road

Out of interest, is this work being done by local government, local contractors or contractors from across?