Dear Mr Bus Driver Please Go On Strike

I am absolutely fed up to the hind teeth with these bus strikes. The Management clearly cannot organise a piss up in a brewery (lost count now of the updated timetables and changed routes) - must be costing them a fortune in administration and printing fees for the never ending "new" timetables. A small 10/15 minute journey from Onchan to Nobles Hospital now takes over an hour if you have to catch a bus (quicker to fly to Liverpool and back). The whole bus service is an absolute shambles, and as for the drivers, they are acting like spoilt little kids. Can someone please bang all their heads together? Can they not meet each other half way? Who is suffering the most in all of this kerfuffle? I will tell you who - the most vulnerable people as usual - the elderly, the poor, the disabled, the sick and the children. I would envisage that all the Management and all the drivers all have at least 1 car - so they wont even begin to feel the despair of people trying to get to hospital appointments, school, work, doctors appointments, the shops, Post Office, Bank etc etc. I have 2 hospital appointments next week (yes, I waited 6 months to get appointments and they both fall smack bang wallop in the middle of TT week) - Fantastic when you can't rely on public transport to get me there. I wonder if I got a taxi and sent the bill to the Government or Bus Management would I get a refund? Please don't use the quote "use your feet" - because as much as I would like to, unfortunately it is my feet that are causing my disability. Oh, footnote, according to the pen pushers down in Markwell House, I am not actually disabled because I can walk (albeit about 50 yards) - Let the madness continue ..........

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't get over the rant the picketer had on the radio. Telling us how disgusted he is with people going to work and school - WTF, so we're all supposed to come out in sympathy with you are we and le

Anyone who uses the bus drivers possible strike as a defense for a drink driving offense deserves to have their car crushed and spend a few months inside. There is no excuse these days for drinking an

Sorry but it is the correct decision by the Management. Drivers will have been given their rosters setting out there shifts. Either you are available to work that shift or you are not. You can not pic

Posted Images

I noticed whilst passing the picket line of sunbathing bus drivers a WPC who appeared to be on duty. Is there a police presence for the duration of the strike required to stop the angry public setting about the strikers.

I noticed whilst passing the picket line of sunbathing bus drivers a WPC who appeared to be on duty. Is there a police presence for the duration of the strike required to stop the angry public setting about the strikers.

Not a job you would have wanted then mal!!

I heard the police presence is designed to stop the bus drivers run on the regular police doughnut shop.

And to make sure the bus drivers don't do anything they shouldn't

Yes, two main things. You quiet, and from spending all my money smile.png

Is there anything you would keep.?

Face reality, we cannot afford to waste £millions a year. We are currently talking about an annual loss of around £5M, the bulk of which is on high salaries.

The gravy train has hit the buffers. People are suffering as a result of this waste, whilst in the meantime the potential savings cannot be used to create new 'real' jobs to regenerate some of the £140M VAT money lost. Those savings could be used straight away to bring a couple of major employers over, and kick start the construction industry properly by building 2000 houses for starters.

If we built 2,000 houses the prices of the existing stock would likely drop so thats good for a start. A lot of locals are employed in the construction industry so they would have plenty of work. The amount of starter homes is a development is already covered by planning rules so you would get a decent amount of FTB properties in the 2,000 new houses. A new town/ large village would be quite good I think but a few hundred dotted all over the island would have the same effect and a couple of hundred at Kirk Michael would be worth it just for the craic.

I think Albert's new housing ideas are really sound, it would just require, as Albert says, some new industry to be encourage to relocate/ start up here. That is the tricky bit, but it would be a start in replacing the lost VAT money and also make existing service businesses on the island more viable because of the extra potential customers. Hell it may even make the airport busy enough to make all the money spent there worthwhile.

I lived in a island village most of my life and the difference 4 new estates built in the 80s and then the 00s made the place so much better, the shop was able to charge more reasonable prices and open at times that suited was just one benefit. The school got bigger and had more classrooms, a chip shop started to visit for a weekly treat. OK everyone did not know who all the other villagers were by first name any more but does that really matter?

100,000 residents would be my target in the next 10 - 15 years, can it be done?

I personally wouldn't want the island to hurry in trying to reach 100,000 as the population growth in other countries - even Guernsey & Jersey in comparison to ours, are 4 times (density pop/km2) more populated than we are. The bigger places like India, Singapore and China (Hong Kong) will have some major issues in the years to come.

More people = more cars which = more parking spaces and unless they make huge changes to the transportation system like bus only lanes, one way roads, park and ride schemes, then I can only imagine bigger tailbacks than the traffic lights in Onchan!

I'm afraid that you are missing the point Manxy. Nearly all our current problems can be traced to a small population. Steam Packet, Airport, Busses, MEA, Government Revenue ... all these depend on a critical mass with enough economic activity to make them profitable. 80,000 mostly pensioners and children is simply not sufficient to give the scale needed.

The problems associated with larger population can be exaggerated. Of course parking would need to be addressed - most of the population would use public transport if it was reliable, cheap and convenient. Londoners tend to use public transport/walking/cycling to get round. To have a bigger population we would want to build more densely - high rise if necessary not sprawling housing estates. If doulgas had a large, young, active, resident population - hotels, pubs, nightclubs etc would flourish. Strand street would come back to life ....

What about the other side, or don't you have the bottle to confront them ? Why would you, ? as you plainly believe that only the Drivers are to blame. Do you support ' Arbitration' or do you only believe in one sided arguments. If so you are much better informed than most of the Manx public. Peter Karran and the Government plainly believe that the Government would lose any arbitration, so where do you find the case for Government being right in this dispute ?

What about the other side, or don't you have the bottle to confront them ? Why would you, ? as you plainly believe that only the Drivers are to blame. Do you support ' Arbitration' or do you only believe in one sided arguments. If so you are much better informed than most of the Manx public. Peter Karran and the Government plainly believe that the Government would lose any arbitration, so where do you find the case for Government being right in this dispute ?

I think the trouble with arbitration is that the government were too honest in the first place, stating that they HAD to save 300k/pa.

If they had come out and said they needed to save 3/4 million then they would likely be OK with going to arbitration.

That is the problem as I see it.

Just heard a striking driver whingeing on the 6.00.p.m. news and a thought occurred.......how many of the 44 striking drivers (10 BEING POORLY,VERY ) making 54 in all are Manx, he certainly did not have a Manx accent... and before anyone says what difference does it make I think it does.

I'm developing a new founded respect for the professionalism of our normal bus drivers this week.

Yesterday's driver treated Castletown as a game of chicken.

Today's was so slow he was lapped by the next bus at Janet's Corner, which completed the route and had returned from Port St. Mary and was waiting for us at Port Erin as we limped in half an hour behind schedule.

Just heard a striking driver whingeing on the 6.00.p.m. news and a thought occurred.......how many of the 44 striking drivers (10 BEING POORLY,VERY ) making 54 in all are Manx, he certainly did not have a Manx accent... and before anyone says what difference does it make I think it does.

Go on then, why?