Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
spermann

Dear Mr Bus Driver Please Go On Strike

I would say that 75% are behind the drivers and that this support has increased in the past few weeks,

Currently the poll on this site shows 77% not supporting the drivers.

Manxie44 ... While a small part of me does sympathise with the divers, after all no one likes to lose money from their pay packets, but as you have now brought the private sector into the mix, this may be why some people are not that sympathetic. I have always been in the private sector, normally within small companies. I have had my terms and conditions changed lots of times, I have had holidays reduced and sick pay withdrawn with one firm, and guess what, If I didn’t like it I knew where the door was, so off I went and found another job. With regards to my current employment, the down turn hit and if we all wanted to remain in employment we had to take a cut somewhere, therefore hours reduced preventing redundancies. It is hard to adjust, but I would rather lose a bit, than lose it all.

Time for us all to be in this together, government employees and that will include managers eventually are only just starting to play catch up with regards to cuts that have been happening in the private sector for the last 2 years at least.

• Like 1

Took a straw poll at work today, nobody supporting the bus drivers.

Where do you work. Not on the High Road I assume

I would say that 75% are behind the drivers and that this support has increased in the past few weeks,

Which assumes that Manx Forums speaks for the entire Manx population. I think, and hope not

Manxie44 ... While a small part of me does sympathise with the divers, after all no one likes to lose money from their pay packets, but as you have now brought the private sector into the mix, this may be why some people are not that sympathetic. I have always been in the private sector, normally within small companies. I have had my terms and conditions changed lots of times, I have had holidays reduced and sick pay withdrawn with one firm, and guess what, If I didn’t like it I knew where the door was, so off I went and found another job. With regards to my current employment, the down turn hit and if we all wanted to remain in employment we had to take a cut somewhere, therefore hours reduced preventing redundancies. It is hard to adjust, but I would rather lose a bit, than lose it all.

Time for us all to be in this together, government employees and that will include managers eventually are only just starting to play catch up with regards to cuts that have been happening in the private sector for the last 2 years at least.

And why should it include Managers 'eventually' . As you say "we are all in this together". Not "we are all in this Together" except for the Management classes.

And why should it include Managers 'eventually' . As you say "we are all in this together". Not "we are all in this Together" except for the Management classes.

Because you have to start somewhere, I would prefer starting at the top but as usual the Government tends to do stuff arse about face. I was just fortunate that as a small team we ALL took the hit together to protect all of our jobs. Its called joined up thinking, it is very common in the private sector.

I was asked if I supported the drivers yesterday and I said no as did the other people around me that were asked, where this story of support comes from I do not know. The Union and the drivers are delusional if they think they have support from the public, I do feel sorry for them as far as the way the Union have let them down they have been a total washout and have not helped at all.

Which assumes that Manx Forums speaks for the entire Manx population. I think, and hope not

No I am sure it does not, but probably is read by a cross section of society and so would have some sort of validity. I would say that the result would give a broad indication of current feeling as the thread containing the poll is likely to be read by anyone with a strong view either way. I accept that many people do not have an opinion either way, but for the Union to keep on saying they have the support of the public without any sort of reasonable data to back their claims up seems a little strange. If they were confident they had the support of the public why have they not carried out their own survey to back their claims up. A couple of people asking people for a straight yes or no for an hour in Strand Street and other areas of the Island would not be too difficult to organise and if they are as confident as they say they are would add some strength to their argument.

Because you have to start somewhere, I would prefer starting at the top but as usual the Government tends to do stuff arse about face. I was just fortunate that as a small team we ALL took the hit together to protect all of our jobs. Its called joined up thinking, it is very common in the private sector.

And was this result of your ALL taking the hit together something that was decided through democratic decision-making? I somehow doubt with you working in the private sector that it was. I think more likely you ALL took the hit together because that was what management decided. Yeah, you're all in it together it taking the hit but let's not pretend it one happy family all showing the pain by agreement. I may be wrong but this is unlikely considering democracy isn't very rarely seen in the private sector.

And was this result of your ALL taking the hit together something that was decided through democratic decision-making? I somehow doubt with you working in the private sector that it was. I think more likely you ALL took the hit together because that was what management decided. Yeah, you're all in it together it taking the hit but let's not pretend it one happy family all showing the pain by agreement. I may be wrong but this is unlikely considering democracy isn't very rarely seen in the private sector.

Sorry to disappoint LDV, and I think in your image of the business world this just wouldn't happen, but that is pretty much how it was. Management down took the hit, there again it is a business employing only 10 people. We could of all said no way am I taking a cut, or even just some say I am not taking a cut, end result could easily of been 10 people out of work because the company went bust. As it happens it came through the bad patch, and we are all looking forward to full time hours again in the near future.

There are plenty of businesses making NO money right now and taking on work at break even or a slight loss simply in the hope that they can keep their people employed and the team together until better times arrive. What else could they decide other than shut down and make everyone redundant? If a business makes a loss should the employees be asked for their share of the loss at the end of the year in a "loss sharing bonus"?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 3

Woolley, you have an amazing disability (or gift) of not quite understanding my posts. It is like we are always talking cross-purposes. This would seem to be a kind understanding. I agree with you, but it isn't what I mean.

What I am explaining is that there is no 'We are in this together' mentality. Whether it is a small office or a large office, there is no 'family' or lasting team that holds itself together out of friendship, loyalty and kindness.

It is all about self-interest. If it is of interest to management to hold things together as mentioned in your last post then that is what will be decided (unless they've made a mistake). In other circumstances, if it is profitable, more efficient, etc.to get rid of someone then someone will go. No mention of 'togetherness' then.

Talking about 'being in it together' and similar words implies other than self-interest. Believing in anything other is grossly naive.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Like 1

Sorry to disappoint LDV, and I think in your image of the business world this just wouldn't happen, but that is pretty much how it was. Management down took the hit, there again it is a business employing only 10 people. We could of all said no way am I taking a cut, or even just some say I am not taking a cut, end result could easily of been 10 people out of work because the company went bust. As it happens it came through the bad patch, and we are all looking forward to full time hours again in the near future.

It is 'could have', never 'could of'.

Please could you explain exactly what happened. You're not telling me something other than what I would expect. It doesn't sound democratic.

Things were bad at your company and they told you...what? That they would need to cut wages and hours and that management would also take cuts? And what options were you given?

May already be putting words in your mouth but please explain how things were done.

I can't remeber the bus drivers supporting their colleagues at the railway when they were all sacked even though many of them were off sick more than they worked, there aint much sympath this time for them now. If you think back not that long ago some union bob over here was going on about concrete or cement....it was cementing the trades council together for a united front against cuts. All we have now is another union bob from across saying to make the cuts in the civil service most of whom are in Prospect so much for the cement....make cuts but not in unite's membership. Bad move making public statements like that I think.

• Like 2

Joined Up Thinking, or Doing as you are Told, as we in the real world used to call it. Its very common in the real world