Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Grumpy

Nano Sims... There Aren't Any...

I'd have a Mac over a pc any day of the week. I've got my old one upstairs it's chock full of junk but never gives me any problems, compare this to Mrbees old PC, slow as a dog, coughing and spluttering everytime you ask it to do something, it's like me only it's a pc.

would you pay more for a phone than you would for a car ? laugh.png

Yup. And I have.

I paid £520 for my Nokia N95 8GBback in 2005. My last car cost £300. The one before that cost £250. The N95 8GB has outlasted both crying.gif

My wife still uses it and loves it. Mainly because she has never been able to break it.

Unfortunately, I suspect Stephen Elop, CEO of Nokia ( And ex VP of Microsoft), will go down in history as having made the biggest corporate blunder in history. His decision to dump Nokia's in house Meamo platform, his refusal to embrace Android and his backing of windows for phone has almost totally destroyed a great company.

I read last week that all Nokia manufacturing will be finished in Scandanavia and will be moving to the far east. Thousands of people unemployed because of a stupid decision.

I reckon if Nokia had embraced Android we would all have the phones we really want at sensible prices. And Nokia's 1200 or so patents could have kicked Apple into touch.

I am not anti Apple by the way. I agree with thebees, the Ipod Touch is one of the greatest gadgets ever.

At the moment I use a Samsung Galaxy Ace. It's small, relatively cheap, and gives me google maps and google translate when I need it.

I was thinking about getting a Galaxy S3 around Christmas time, but the new Nokia was announced and I was thinking about it. But then they done this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

They claimed their new camera was better than a DSLR and used photos from a DSLR to prove it !!

Nah..... I think I will stick with Samsung for now. Untill Nokia does an Android phone.

Just spoken to Manx Telecom and the rather vague young lady on the other end of the phone said they had no nano sims in stock, had ordered some but didn't know when they would arrive.

Had the OP confirmed yesterday from someone ITK in Sure. Seems they are ahead of MT as they ordered them way before. Also "converting" them yourself ain't as easy as it used to be, either. New Nano-Sims are slightly thinner and require an expert sandpapering thumbsup.gif ...

Looks like I'll be getting a shiny new i-Phone 5 any day now and just staring at in it's box for weeks ermm.gif ...

Manx Telecom's latest tweet on the matter....

"we're awaiting delivery so can't confirm at the moment, as soon as we have more info we will let everyone know. :)"

Bit of a poor showing, really. I flagged it to them about 9 weeks ago.

Sure and MT waiting on delivery of sims (must be the same supplier).

If any fanbois are that bothered you can make your own, this whole fuss was also made before microsims came out too. Worse case senario it will need a quick file/sand on the back plastic but most tech chaps don't think this will be needed.

Its not just the iom either, shortages of nano sims in other parts of the UK while the main towns and cities got first stock and have ran out.

Anyone thinking of getting an iPhone 5, MT's ETA for Nano SIMs is the middle of October, C&W maybe 25th September.

no problem just get a cutter like this and use your old sim.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-SIM-Full-SIM-to-Nano-SIM-Card-Cutter-for-iphone-5-plus-3-sets-adapters-B-/320986967038?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item4abc506bfe

Cutters are also in short supply and most are being shipped from China so a fair wait.I think the scissors may be coming out.

Cutters are also in short supply and most are being shipped from China so a fair wait.I think the scissors may be coming out.

scissors also reported to be in short supply

• Like 1

It has been confirmed that the thickness of the sim is not an issue for the iphone5 so the people moaning about having splashed out £600 and not being able to use their phone over here, get icutting :)

What is wrong with waiting? I just don't understand this race to be the first to get some new piece of kit. The iPhone 5 may be the best phone in history, but you can pretty much guarantee that it'll have teething troubles which will require firmware updates etc, like just about every new version of anything that comes out (iPhone 4 signal problems - anyone remember those?)

Anyone that pre-orders these things just to be the first to have one has a screw loose, which I suppose is a characteristic they may share with the new phone.

PS I am an Apple fan; my iPod touch is at least 3 generations out of date (if it ain't broke don't fix/replace it!) but I use a Nokia phone (2 years old and going strong)

It has been confirmed that the thickness of the sim is not an issue for the iphone5 so the people moaning about having splashed out £600 and not being able to use their phone over here, get icutting smile.png

But I gather you will need a new docking station or someone will come up with a cable to connect IP6 to old docking stations.

IMO having both PC and Apple laptops the Apple is far superior if you are not into geekish things - but as I am not a geek maybe PCs are better for those who do wondrous things.

As for phones I am delighted to still have my Nokia from the 1990s. It works well, batteries are available, it has a keyboard you can read, a mouthpiece that is close to the mouth, an earpiece close to the ear and fits real SIMS...and until recently its charger was the same as on more modern Nokias but they have changed that now.

It has about the same value as my car £0 but both work very well, provide the services they were designed to provide and for which I bought them and have been reliable and easy to use. I am not going to be a martyr to this built in design obscolescence mularky.

P.S. one of the things that I find mildly amusing with the 'younger generation' is that they are advocates of a more green society but get sucked into changing their material posessions by some Yankee company building things in China. I reckon I am being much greener by holding onto things that work.

Edited by manshimajin